Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I have a CELTA, she doesn't, possibilities in Russia?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! That looks pretty good. You must be right that it is just too hard for schools to verify. But it does look like she has everything she'd have had from a Celta - and some more. Don't give up hope.

Perhaps you might phrase your cover letter something like: "MA included seven observed communicative EFL lessons with expert feedback, as in the Celta"? Dunno, but it might make it more obvious what the MA was.
Jeff19

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were thinking that maybe it's better if I go first(provided that I get hired), so that she can come to stay at my place for a while on a tourist visa and maybe in the meantime giving private lessons/searching for jobs and even doing the CELTA maybe.

Would that be legal? Doable?

And what about finding an apartment on my own? Is it that hard to find something similar to what the schools would likely offer me?

I know, so many questions, but I really don't want to give up on this. Smile
Deats

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jeff, sorry for the slow reply.

About your last post: tourist visas only last for a month, so your gf would barely have time to finish a CELTA in this time. Finding private students is also not easy - especially if you don't work somewhere. Sure, privates can find you in other ways, but contacts you make at your work place are invaluable. Also, it is illegal to work on a tourist visa.

She could however spend the month going and looking for jobs. However, if schools aren't interested via email, there is the chance they won't be interested in person. Who knows unless you try though.

The big problem with you going and working is what if she can't find work? This is a real possibility. It will cost an arm and a leg to keep doing monthly visa runs. Suppose there are other visa options to consider, but this will still be expensive. It would probably mean spending the year apart - is this something you even want to consider?

As for China: There are loads of NNEST working in China. Demand for ESL teachers outweighs supply. You can make a very nice living in China but you must consider a few things: weather, pollution, working conditions etc - the same as any place I guess. Just do your research into what you expect from where you are going to work and live.

We always opt to work in universities as you only work 16 hours a week and 32 weeks a year. 20 weeks paid vacation. Nice. In our first job we were only paid $1000 a month, but we did privates and we each made closer to $3000 a month. The cost of living is really cheap and you get a free apartment and return flights (often these perks are not provided in Russia). We usually saved a combined $5000 a month. In our new job we will be paid closer to $2000 a month from the uni (a nice pay rise!). The part of the country we are moving to is much wealthier than where we were before so we will charge more for private lessons. We can realistically earn $5000 a month EACH if we put in the hours (40 hours = 16 at uni + 24 privates) - although I'm not sure we want to work this much. Also, it takes time to build up your private lessons, so we wouldn't walk in to this salary bracket - it would happen after 12-18 months, probably. I would think we would prefer to earn $3000-4000 and have a very easy life with not so many privates.

If there is a special draw to Russia then you may want to try to find a job regardless of the adversity. If there isn't, then China is a great place to start your EFL career. With the experience you will add to your CV and save some money, then you can try Russia in a few years time.

If you have any more questions or queries then feel free to ask here or via PM. TBH I don't think it matters if we talk here, then others who may want the same info can view it openly.
Jeff19

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deats wrote:
Hey Jeff, sorry for the slow reply.

About your last post: tourist visas only last for a month, so your gf would barely have time to finish a CELTA in this time. Finding private students is also not easy - especially if you don't work somewhere. Sure, privates can find you in other ways, but contacts you make at your work place are invaluable. Also, it is illegal to work on a tourist visa.

She could however spend the month going and looking for jobs. However, if schools aren't interested via email, there is the chance they won't be interested in person. Who knows unless you try though.

The big problem with you going and working is what if she can't find work? This is a real possibility. It will cost an arm and a leg to keep doing monthly visa runs. Suppose there are other visa options to consider, but this will still be expensive. It would probably mean spending the year apart - is this something you even want to consider?

As for China: There are loads of NNEST working in China. Demand for ESL teachers outweighs supply. You can make a very nice living in China but you must consider a few things: weather, pollution, working conditions etc - the same as any place I guess. Just do your research into what you expect from where you are going to work and live.

We always opt to work in universities as you only work 16 hours a week and 32 weeks a year. 20 weeks paid vacation. Nice. In our first job we were only paid $1000 a month, but we did privates and we each made closer to $3000 a month. The cost of living is really cheap and you get a free apartment and return flights (often these perks are not provided in Russia). We usually saved a combined $5000 a month. In our new job we will be paid closer to $2000 a month from the uni (a nice pay rise!). The part of the country we are moving to is much wealthier than where we were before so we will charge more for private lessons. We can realistically earn $5000 a month EACH if we put in the hours (40 hours = 16 at uni + 24 privates) - although I'm not sure we want to work this much. Also, it takes time to build up your private lessons, so we wouldn't walk in to this salary bracket - it would happen after 12-18 months, probably. I would think we would prefer to earn $3000-4000 and have a very easy life with not so many privates.

If there is a special draw to Russia then you may want to try to find a job regardless of the adversity. If there isn't, then China is a great place to start your EFL career. With the experience you will add to your CV and save some money, then you can try Russia in a few years time.

If you have any more questions or queries then feel free to ask here or via PM. TBH I don't think it matters if we talk here, then others who may want the same info can view it openly.

No worries, thanks for this interesting reply.

I agree with you, China does sound like the perfect place where to start, in terms of offers at least. We applied to two different schools in Shenzhen, but then the interviews disappointed us, the deal wasn't clearly what they advertised. Moreover, my girlfriend fears the culture shock and I do have a special draw to Russia as I am in love with slavic cultures and languages, hence the decision to spot considering China.

However, what you mention it's indeed very appealing, I have to say that I didn't see many University jobs while I was doing my research, possibly because I was just checking the Guangdong province. Could you give me some help with this? Maybe when facing an actual good offer, which doesn't give the feeling of being a scam, it would be possible for us to reconsider.

About Russia, I assumed 3 months for the tourist visa, silly of me I guess. Then yes, maybe it's better if she does the CELTA somewhere else so we could finally have similar chances.
As for flats, I was checking some websites and I manage to find someting at 7500 rub per month close to the Tushinkaya metro station. Would that be too far from the actual city?
Deats

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One big problem is most good jobs have gone for the year. I was looking for Guangdong unis from April onwards and there were plenty of jobs ranging from 6500-15,000. Most were in the 7500 bracket, from what I remember. Starting out, you will probably be aiming at 6000-8,000, I would guess. Although usually with an MA you will get a tiny bit more than someone with a BA, depending on the uni.

You can check here on Dave's
http://horizoneslchina.com/
http://eslteachersboard.com/
http://www.eslemployment.com
http://www.totalesl.com

There are plenty of other sites, but these can get you started. Time is unfortunately your enemy for Sept 2015 starts. On the other hand, time could be your friend - sometimes people drop out and places get desperate - this way you could secure yourself a better job than expected.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff19 wrote:

About Russia, I assumed 3 months for the tourist visa, silly of me I guess. Then yes, maybe it's better if she does the CELTA somewhere else so we could finally have similar chances.
As for flats, I was checking some websites and I manage to find someting at 7500 rub per month close to the Tushinkaya metro station. Would that be too far from the actual city?

Yes, tourist visas for Russia are nearly always for 30 days only. There are sometimes exceptions, but not likely for ordinary travellers. In any case, working would obviously be illegal, and so best avoided.

However, BKC runs Celta courses, and very often foreign trainees come to Moscow to do it, on a tourist visa (I think), and sometimes find work with BKC after course completion. They handle all the visa messing around thereafter. Might be an option for you to check out.

As for Tushinskaya metro, it is only about 30 mins to the city centre. Quite good speed by local standards. But the Purple line is probably the busiest, so you'd need to be prepared for some fairly cramped travelling at rush hour.

As for the rent of the flat, are you sure about this figure? 7,500 rubles per month??? Most one room flats are around 30,000 rubles per month. Any location, any condition, your quote sounds way off. Sorry. 120 euro, that would be.
Jeff19

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
Jeff19 wrote:

Yes, tourist visas for Russia are nearly always for 30 days only. There are sometimes exceptions, but not likely for ordinary travellers. In any case, working would obviously be illegal, and so best avoided.

However, BKC runs Celta courses, and very often foreign trainees come to Moscow to do it, on a tourist visa (I think), and sometimes find work with BKC after course completion. They handle all the visa messing around thereafter. Might be an option for you to check out.

As for Tushinskaya metro, it is only about 30 mins to the city centre. Quite good speed by local standards. But the Purple line is probably the busiest, so you'd need to be prepared for some fairly cramped travelling at rush hour.

As for the rent of the flat, are you sure about this figure? 7,500 rubles per month??? Most one room flats are around 30,000 rubles per month. Any location, any condition, your quote sounds way off. Sorry. 120 euro, that would be.

Not sure at all, the website was in Russian so I probably misunderstood.

Anyway, next week my girlfriend will have an interview with one of the schools you suggested! Very Happy

As for the metro, is there some kind of guide? Your comment about the Purple line made me wonder about this, it would be helpful to know which line is the busiest and so on.

Also, I came across this school http://meschool.ru/job.html but the location seems really too far away from the center, can you confirm this?
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know anything about this place, sorry. But both branches look quite far from the centre. Not just minibuses from the metro, but minibuses from main city bus lines. Usually means so distant that you'll only come into the centre at the weekends.

Might still be worth checking out, though.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re the metro, this is the official website - a bit patchy on useful info, though:

http://engl.mosmetro.ru/

There's an app you can use on your phone to plan journets etc. But apart from that, only experience will guide you : )
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,

I had an interview with ME School last year, and it is a bus ride away from the nearest metro, which is at the top of the purple line, but it's only about 5-10 minutes in good traffic.

However, one teacher I spoke to there did say his accommodation was 2 hours away...
Jeff19

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final update: we both managed to find a job!

So possibilities do exist for non natives. Very Happy

Thanks to all for helping us, and I welcome tips about life in Russia, like

-best places where to buy food, both local and international?

-clothes, is it worthy to bring them from home or is it better to buy most of the winter stuff once I am there?

-libraries, cinemas and theaters?

-useful apps(about buses for example)?

-best internet providers?

I am doing my own research, but if someone feels like sharing that would be appreciated Wink
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! We hope you'll stick around on Dave's from time to time and let us know how it's going. We get minimal input from non-native speakers of English in TEFL in general, and your experience could be really valuable to a lot of people.

I can't respond to most of your questions (haven't taught in Russia long-term; I do project work there and have numerous Russian students outside of their native habitat:-)), except to say that I found clothing relatively expensive in Moscow. And you'll want serious layers and warm boots for winter!
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to you both! And well done!

I'll be happy to help out on any info I can. But have to submit my PhD application first. Then I'll get back to ya.

Good luck in Russia!
Deats

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to you and your g/f! Where will you work? Did you get good terms?

Russia used to be expensive for clothes, but with the crumbling rouble everything now is pretty cheap. I got a nice pair of Timberland boots for £30 for example. And a really nice Zenit winter coat for £28. Some things still cost a lot, but things will only get cheaper in international terms as the rouble keeps depreciating.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above statement is not true in the main. Not everything is cheap. Prices on many items have been adjusted upwards.

In any case, here's my take on things.

Food shopping can be done in a range of outlets. Auchan is quite big here. Other local supermarket chains are Perekrostock (Crossraods), Pityorchka, and sundry others. For foreign food, you can try Azbyka Vkuza (The ABC of Taste. Or is it the A to Z of Taste?) But be warned this is quite pricey indeed. Here's a website:

http://av.ru/

About clothes, I'd certainly pack some heavy winter gear - boots, scarfs, gloves, heavy coat. It will not be so cheap to buy most of this stuff here. But it will take up some of your 20 kg baggage allowance, so you'll have to weigh up what is worth more to you: paying more on the plane, or paying more for clothing here.

Really aren't any English language libraries to speak of. And Russian language libraries are torturous to use. At least the Lenin Library is, in my limited experience. But not to worry. Plenty of English language sections in bookshops here, and other languages too. However, I'd advise getting a little ebook reader device, and then you can download any book you may care for, without any limit on availability. And probably for free too, wink wink...

Theatre is great here, but mostly Russian language. Can still be enjoyed, but obviously, a major element is missing for non-Russian speakers. Ballet and concerts are better for foreigners for that reason.

Cinemas are usually in Russian too. Everything is dubbed here. TV or cinema, urgh, and dubbed badly. But there are some cinemas that show films in the original language, with Russian subtitles. Here's one that I like:

http://pioner-cinema.ru/en/

I'm fairly stone age about apps. But there are good ones for transport. Metro. Probably buses too. Someone less Luddite will come along with that, I hope : )

Internet providers seem to be all the same. About 500 rubles per month, and you'll have as good as unlimited traffic. Choose whichever one operates near your area. Really cheap, fairly reliable, and very important for those of us who Skype home, or download films in English, books, etc. Might need a Russian-speaking friend to help you open an account though. Passports and docs are needed.

Hope that helps somewhat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: