Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

German citizenship based on ancestry
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
freudling1000

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My story:

My mother was born in Germany and lived there until about the age of 6. They then packed up and came to Canada. However, she had to give up her German citizenship before I was born because she had to make a choice: get Canadian citizenship at 18 years of age or keep her German citizenship and. So, Canada said NO to dual citizenship and she got her Canadian citizenship. I was later born in 1977 (June).

I believe her parents (my grandparents) had to do the same at some point. I think they did it soon after they arrived in Canada.

Can I get german citizenship?
Deicide

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Nein...vergiss es... Reply with quote

freudling1000 wrote:
My story:

My mother was born in Germany and lived there until about the age of 6. They then packed up and came to Canada. However, she had to give up her German citizenship before I was born because she had to make a choice: get Canadian citizenship at 18 years of age or keep her German citizenship and. So, Canada said NO to dual citizenship and she got her Canadian citizenship. I was later born in 1977 (June).

I believe her parents (my grandparents) had to do the same at some point. I think they did it soon after they arrived in Canada.

Mate...you are living in dream land...Germany does not do doppelte Staatsbuergschaft without some bizzare and enormously good reason...you are Canadian and make the best of it....now if your direct ancestors were Holocaust victims that might be one of those good reasons...but it doesn't sound like it....I'd look elsewhere...
txtraveler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Nein...vergiss es... Reply with quote

Deicide wrote:
freudling1000 wrote:
My story:

Mate...you are living in dream land...Germany does not do doppelte Staatsbuergschaft without some bizzare and enormously good reason...you are Canadian and make the best of it....now if your direct ancestors were Holocaust victims that might be one of those good reasons...but it doesn't sound like it....I'd look elsewhere...

I've been exploring this as well, to see if I may be able to apply due to a grandparent that immigrated to the US. Due to some changes in citizenship law in the 1990's, your mother may be able to apply to have her German citizenship reinstated and then you may be able to apply for German citizenship through her. Again, the key word being MAY. Check with the German embassy or consulate about the specifics of your case.
DainaJ

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But then Germany doesn't do dual citizenship, so you'd have to give up your other citizenship, wouldn't you?
txtraveler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In principle, Germany does not allow dual citizenship, but there are some exceptions in the case of nationalities acquired at birth and in cases where it can be shown that renouncing the other citizenship would cause hardship. So, depending on the poster's circumstances, she may or may not have to renounce her current citizenship in order to regain German citizenship. Again, it's best to either contact the relevant German consulate or a lawyer familiar with German citizenship law for the specifics of any case.
Gerhard E. Jene

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: dual citizenship Reply with quote

Hey Ozburn

I don't know if you are an American or Canadian. Here are a couple of lawyers for you to check into. They deal with German law. The 1st one is based in Salt Lake City and his email is: [email protected]. The other one has an office in both Vancouver, B.C. and Toronto, Ont. His email is: [email protected] and the website is: www.germanlawyer.ca.
Hope this will help. My father was still a German citizen when he was married to my mother and at the time I was born. So I have both by default. Even if neither recognizes dual citizenship I am very seriously considering giving up my Canadian for the German.

Gary
Gerhard E. Jene

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about you all. But I found out from the consulate what documents they wanted me to provide to get a passport. Once I got all the documents together I went back to the consulate and applied for the passport.
The long form of my birth certificate and the marriage certificate of my parents along with his German passport and a copy of when he received Canadian citizenship proved that I have dual nationality. That made it fairly easy to get the passport. Now all I have to do is to wait for them to send it to me by registered mail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: