Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Asian-American woman in the UAE...?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Truth Hurts

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorcan

As I mentioned at the beginning of this thread and is now clearly evident, your main problem lies with fellow Westerners that bring over all their own racial hang ups and project them onto Arabs. Most of these expat don't have a clue about Arab culture and cannot even string together a basic sentence in Arabic even after 10/15 years of living here.

Don't let Manonatrain bother you: he just sounds like your regular mercenary Western expat who is haunted by the constant fear that maybe his neigbor is possibly making more money than him. I expect if or when you arrive in the country, he'll then be fuming and wondering how a Phillippina can afford a better car then him.

Laughing Laughing

TH
manonatrain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:51 pm    Post subject: frum p age frommm age Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing
I have been reading the UAE board and see that the GRAND fromage
or BIGCHEESE likes to write only positive shit about places that
have a lot of dirty laundry.

ummm are you a teacher cheese head ? or a censor .

Just a waring to those inexperinced with internet in Police states,
this includes China, the Gulf, Korea and some other places i don�t
know enuff to list. But there are people who work for the government
and continually write all flowery stuff and ATTACK the posters.

Believe me if life was great for Asia women or even just good
i would say it. It is ugly. And I hope education will one day
change it. But I think the Muslim calender is somewhere in the
12th century.

Arabs, they are awesome people, but the way they treat Asians or people
who LOOK it, is awful. I noticed that some of the mid east posters
just read what people write and they rewrite it like they hear it
first hand and add all kinds of NICITIES. Look, this doesnt bug
me. Just becareful not to trust what you read by a few of these
LIFE IS SO GREAT here in the police state.

And Lorca sounds like you are a bit sheltered, why don�t you
find a chat room www.godubai.com and see what happens when you post
a pic of yourself..or try to gleen more info.

I just can believe your arrogance after asking for information you
slam those (me) that is giving you some sound advice. At least, thank
me and say you will try it anyway. Insulting me when you have
not lived here and are not a man is well,�so highschool�..shit
who says that but someone who is still a child.

Well

ME. I am just a patsy.
Maids falling out of windows. Gee it must be paradise huh?

Yup..usa usa usa usa...
grand fromage

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, truth hurts indeed. I haven't seen womanonatrain so wound up yet. I think I detect a sensitive ego-poor thing and h/she's in the ME of all places. he he he Laughing
lorcan1996

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 5:23 am    Post subject: More fun than a tent full o' camels... Reply with quote

Ach, no worries, Grand Fromage and Truth Hurts. I'm not quite THAT thin-skinned. I've actuallly gotten some really great advice on this forum, and am overall very impressed with the people who've given their two cents on the subject.

I know that the Philippine Embassy did a massive recall of many of their expatriate employees, particularly the women, as well as a major PR campaign a few years ago. I think it was largely in response to the Flor Concepcion tragedy... can't remember if that took place in the Middle East or elsewhere in Southeast Asia (maybe Singapore?). Concepcion had been badly abused by her employer, and she ended up killing him in self-defense. Long story short, she was tried, convicted, and sentenced to death. You can imagine the uproar after her execution... the Philippine government made all kinds of noises about the awful treatment of their citizens by unscrupulous employers, blah blah blah, and they acted awfully self-righteous about the issue, but the sad reality is that most of that kind of stuff had been going on for years with the full knowledge of the highest levels of government. It just took this one issue to really wake up the media and the masses to the horror of these women's lives overseas, and only then did the government step up. Pure PR, of course, because most of the women are back in the ME. So while I don't defend their Arab employers by any means, it doesn't help that the Philippine government values these overseas contract workers' remittance monies too much as a huge part of its foreign exchange reserves to really be motivated enough to actually provide much real protection for them.

And they call me a cynic..

Anyhoo, I didn't mean for this thread to turn into a whole debate on gender violence and racism in the ME. I just wanted to see about my chances of getting a job! Smile Back to the original reason for my post, I'll be finishing my first master's in a couple of months (not in ESL, rather in International Studies), then am hoping to finish up my ESL master's in about a year. I have a good chance of getting a college teaching position soon (hoping hoping hoping), part-time only, but it's some experience to put on the ol' CV other than the two years in Japan. (At the moment I'm in fundraising and moonlighting as a freelance writer... not exactly gold standard work experience for budding ESL teachers, but hey, gotta pay the bills.) So maybe that'll help with the credentials and experience. If nothing else, maybe I can teach them classes on democracy. Yeah! That'll go over well at the neighborhood mosque! Wink

Just call me Her Royal High-and-Mighty-ness...

Cheers,
Lorcan
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man on a Train

I know I shouldn't justify your nonsense with a logical answer, because it's clear you have no use for such concepts.

However, just to clear up a few things: I do not live in a compound, but in an apartment block in a run-down part of riyadh mainly inhabited by male workers from the Indian sub-continent. Hardly expat paradise. Secondly, if you'd read any of the posts here - you'd have know that neither I nor any of the posters have a rose-tinted view of life in the Gulf, and the treatment of women in particular. It's just that, unlike you, we are able to put it in perspective.

But what I REALLY want to know is why - since the UAE is such a small place - you still havne't found directions to the airport. Clearly, the UAE is no place for a sensitive soul such as yourself. Or maybe, like quite a few expats here, you secretly quite like being in a place where you can look down on the locals and feel that you're top of the pile just because you have a ''Western" passport.

Truth Hurts is spot on. Way too many Westerners here - when freed of the political correctness of their own countries, let loose with all their pent-up racial prejudices here. Of course, what they really can't stand is that the 'rag-heads' here are richer than them and can fire them any time they choose. That really rankles with a lot of Western supremacists here.

By the way, Lorcan, I presume that comment on 'teaching them about democracy' was a joke. Most people here do not particularly believe that the US has any right to be teaching anybody about democracy at this point in time.
lorcan1996

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 3:40 pm    Post subject: Democracy rules! Reply with quote

Dear Cleopatra,

Heavens, yes, I was indeed only joking when I made that flippant remark about teaching democracy in the ME! I actually consider myself probably one of the least qualified to teach something so dynamic, given that I don't really believe a definitive meaning exists for such a concept. I also don't believe that democracy American-style is necessarily appropriate for all nation-states. (And far be it for me to teach democracy to anyone, given that the current state of American democracy is in such sad disarray.)

I did a research project with my colleagues in graduate school, with two specific questions to answer: "What is democracy?" and "Give some examples of a democracy, based on your definition." Ack, after weeks of debate and thought, we realized we could answer neither to anyone's satisfaction. We also found that both of these questions have stumped political theorists for years. Gotta love grad school.

Cheers,
Lorcan
manonatrain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 6:34 pm    Post subject: The Censors on on the board BEWARE Reply with quote

well if anyone checks out Grandfromage trying to scare
posters of the UAE board under MLI info etc..you will
see what i mean by censors.

it happens with Saudi Posts as well.

And you live with Indian males, i doubt it very fucking much.

Anyway...bullshitting is up to you.

Lorcan...Democracy..ya..well. Here is another bit of insight
POLITICS AND RELIGION are forbidden subjects. Unless you
are hired to teach a particular subject like that.

Hey girlfriend, I am on your side.

I love it here. I am not rascist, just things are different
here.

This is not American, and your passport with an Asian Face
will probably not get you hired.

Fucking reality huh.
mli_vet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 2:42 pm    Post subject: Ditto that one Reply with quote

Ditto that one! Exclamation BIG Cheese is either a censor or recruiter/admin related staff from what I can deduce from the evidence (or perhaps an MLI_Newbie Question ). Lot's of fluff and nice things to say, deeply offended by truthful postings made in good faith by concerned EFL professionals, and unwilling to confront some of the harsh realities of living and working in the Gulf. These are strong indicators of censor/admin/recruiter or possibly MLI_Newbieness/Green-ness Mr. Green and naivete.

Myself? Well I've already admitted that I'm a somewhat jaded Gulf veteran toward a particular institution (which on the positive side seems to be incorporating some much needed change--haven't seen that new contract myself, but it seems to be an improvement).

If you do make it to the Gulf Lorcan, remember to keep one hand on the taxicab door handle (for when the groping starts, beginning at the knees and thighs first--this actually happened to my wife who jumped out thanks to slow traffic), a can of mace or pepper spray handy (when you're mistaken for a w *beep*--especially if your flat is near one of the brothels), morning after pills w/ in reach (in case the unthinkable happens) . . . and don't go walking underneath the many "subways" (tunnel road underpasses--an MLI wife, not Asian BTW--all females at possible risk here, was mugged in one of these).

MLI Vet
Over and Out
grand fromage

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MLI-Vet, you must have made womanonatran's day-you're the first person in a while to agree with him/her on something. All I can say is that BOTH of you guys read only what you want to see. I f you go back to some of my postings, you would see your gaping oversight; would I be cutting the branch I am sitting on if I was actually sitting on it? Confused? Naturally yes- use your brains before jumping to conclusions next time. Or did you lose all your gray matter feeling sorry for yourselves?
p.s. in case people aren't familiar with MLI_VET, just read the MLI thread. He's another disgruntled, bitter individual I've had a few exchanges with;)
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 6:46 pm    Post subject: Filipina or Usanian ? Reply with quote

Asian-American and other "hyphenated Americans"!

You are a US citizen. BUT you will not be accepted as a "real American" because you do not fit into the stereotype. You will be treated as a Filipina.

Unfair ? Yup. Welcome to the Middle East.
mli_vet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 8:15 pm    Post subject: Touchy today, aren't we BIG Cheese ! ! ! Reply with quote

Touchy today, aren't we BIG Cheese ! ! ! I thought you were going to stop talking to me Cool

Resorting to insult now--that's not very nice Sad . Was I right about the newbie hunch? Or other hunches?

Disgruntled and bitter? Sez YOU, BIG Cheese Exclamation That was when I wasn't getting paid on time. I get my $$$ on time now, and I'm very happy Smile . No one needs to put up w/ gougery--physically, financially, vacationally, benefitally, or otherwise. It's amazing what getting paid on time does for one's mental equilibrium! Razz

By all means, read the MLI threads. Then read 'em again and see who's who and what's what! MLI_Vet ain't up in the clouds outta touch w/ reality. He's been there, and he knows. And he hasn't totally bashed certain institutions either--just giving his experiences for folks to make an informed decision. I've conceded that things "seem to be improving." Did you miss that line Big Cheese?

Lighten up! I thought we agreed to disagree on a few things--almost half agreement on the Letter of No Objection thing on your part (But I'll hold my ground on that one)--no need to resort to insult here.

Newbieness--it makes one do crazy things, doesn't it BIG Cheese!

Don't even try again to scare me off this board! And cut out those sorry attempts to diminish my credibility through ad hominem assaults. Cause you ain't seen the end of MLI Vet yet baby. I'll come back swingin'. MLI/GHQ still owes a lot of people a lot of money, they've shafted teachers out of their 10%, and you want everyone to keep hush-hush about it? Dream on ! ! ! Maybe when I catch Saddam and collect that cool 25 million to share w/ my buddies! You gonna try to protect his a s s next ?

MLI Vet
Over and Out
Truth Hurts

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MLI_Vet

I'm not quite sure how your new job is helping in restoring your 'mental equilibrium'. From what I can gather you have an extremely morbid obsession with your previous employer to the point that you have taken it upon yourself to be a self-styled guardian of 'good practice' in TESL!

I expect you're a miserable expat still working at MLI or perhaps your just someone who failed the interview and gets all the inside information from another disgruntled friend who hates brown people.

If you are who you say you are, enjoy your dollars (and cents Very Happy )and you when you really get bored I suggest you start posting on the DesperatelySeeking Personality Forum. Lot of MLI Veterans there! Wink

Best wishes

TH
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh!

Women being mugged in underground passes! Being prepositioned by taxis drivers! Both those things are completely unheard of outsidethe UAE, of course!
manonatrain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:09 am    Post subject: Cleopatra or crazy chica Reply with quote

Shocked

hey crazy cleopatra.

ya i love it when TEACHERS or are u a recruiter or worse
a teacher who is MANAGEMENT WANNA-Be...eeekks.

RUN RUN RUN Rolling Eyes

Do not compare the GULF with any Western country.
It is dangerous for newbies and worse complete insane.

Why dont you compare rural AFRICA with NYC. No difference
right honey.

Well, the Arab world is an awesome experience. The students
are kind and lazy, but sweet as hell. Some work hard, and Godbless
em or Mohamed, I hope they do great things for their countries
and communities ONE DAY.

There is a lot of abuse in the Arab GULF. Slave like conditions
and being screwed on money housing and airplane tickers are
one of them. The absolute worse is physical and mental abuse.

The difference is, when it happens and you are Western, filipina or
not. You may as well go home. No one gives a damn about
Western complaints.

Why.

Not because they are cruel. It is culture. In their culture life is harder.
Arranged marriages, rape, physical abuse etc...Are a part of life.
There is no SPEAKING up about it.

Isnt there a book called UNDER THE VIEL. Well, i am not female, and
have never read it. But a fellow teacher was speaking to me about
it. Sounds like it deserves a look.

I welcome multi culturalism back home, and know it doesnt exist
elsewhere. Why do you think LEAVING Asian countries is such
a popular thing to do for Asians. Cause man, life is harder here
than American, Canada, Britian, New Zealand, Australia, etc...

And by hard I mean. The worse things.

But, again, I stay because I have many Arabic friends and although
as an outsider I find it hard some days. Most of the time I feel
I can do good.

No good deed goes unpunished. Indeed.

Just look at the reactions of the ANGRY Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
cheese and cleos... ya the truth does hurt. And sometimes
the truth is ugly too. Wink

Me I AM JUST A PATSY.
mli_vet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:29 am    Post subject: Justice--now where does that concept seem to be unheard of ? Reply with quote

Actually I just haven't had time yet to create a new log on name and avatar. So I'm not quite obsessed as you might think. Getting a reaction though, isn't it? I doubt that I'll ever get the money MLI/GHQ owes me, but I do have an email address just in case (MLI_Vet @yahoo.com).

Yes, these things happen--getting raped (or just groped/fondled) in a taxicab is no joyride whether it's in Abu Dhabi, Amsterdam, Khartoum, or New York City.

Justice--now where does that concept seem to be an unheard of, foreign, imperialistic idea Question

Hmmmmmmm Exclamation Question Exclamation

MLI Vet
Over and Out
([email protected])
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: