Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie: Protect thyself
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MissMolly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razz Newbie - Be Tolerant! Razz

Okay guys, just my two cents worth -

It really does take all kinds. I don't know about you, but in every job or situation I have found people who struck me as offensive or as being "idiots". I think that's life. All you can do is handle it correctly.
On the board, there are a lot of people who interact with people in a different way than I do. I can't do anything about it, so I don't worry about it. If someone flames you, ignore them. It takes two to quarrel, so don't get drawn into defending yourself. The "flamer" will lose interest.
Bottom line is this - everyone who wants to be here has a right to be here (unless goderated out of existence, of course) and has a right to behave how ever they wish. How they "should" behave is only a matter of opinion.
Wolf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive this technically feeble one who understandeth not the 21st century, but can we have one of those ultra - uptight definitions of "flame" that wouldst be worthy of the hallowed pages of the OED tome?

Suppose a newbie who has "almost" finished a BA posts something about wanting to teach in Saudi Arabia and maybe open a bar on the side.

If we say to this person something like:

Quote:
Most teaching positions in the KSA require higher qualifications than what you have. Also, if you had done any research into the KSA you would know how bad of an idea opening a bar would be. You should rethink what you're trying to do, because it seems you haven't thought about it much.

Would that be a flame? We can set a newbie on the straight and narrow in such a fashion. Note the difference between the above and the following:

Quote:
You're a big fat doo-doo head dummy.

And note how the tone of the origional changes if we combine the two:

Quote:
You big fat doo doo headed dummy, most teaching positions in the KSA require higher qualifications than what you have. Also, if you had done any research into the KSA you would know how bad of an idea opening a bar would be. You should rethink what you're trying to do, because it seems you haven't thought about it much. You're such a weeinie that I shall now exhalt myself over you.
EXHALT EXHALT EXHALT

I consider the last two to be flames, but not the first. We can disagree with someone, point out mistakes, etc without resorting to abusive langague. Okay, it's technically possible to do so. If we can do so may or may not remain to be seen.
Cobra

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Not too bad for a mop head!
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
FAQ China

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:46 pm    Post subject: wrong Reply with quote

My father was career military, and I was in ROTC. Military life was not the problem. The extremely sick person over me in the chain of command was the problem. In addition to being confused about manhood, he had obviously pushed himself over the edge. I�ll spare you the details. Believe me, you don�t want to know. You haven�t pushed yourself over the edge yet, and I�m not predicting you ever will, but you�re following the right formula. I repeat, your posts have no redeeming value. If you disappeared, this forum would be much better off. You, invoke decorum? I repeat, I know abnormal behavior because I know normal behavior. I repeat, I don�t get into these type of discussions with 99.99% of the people I know. Let your posts go unanswered, so countless newbies might be turned off to this forum? But fret not. When the next term starts, I�ll have less time. And networking remains my chief pursuit. Now, if you�ll excuse me, a new foreign teacher just moved in across the hall. I�m going to present him with my mobile number and a map of the city, and welcome him to our fair school.
FAQ China

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:53 pm    Post subject: professional Reply with quote

Try this with newbies who ask stupid questions: "Please do your research instead of wasting our time."
Cobra

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FAQ China there will be no intellectual posts allowed and no challenges to the veracity or integrity of any member of the boys club who think they are the owners of this forum.

You have been warned. next they will move to have you banned. Or, they will bait you to step over the imaginary line in the sand that gets you banned.

Ignore their rants and posts. There are some here who appreciate your contributions.
FAQ China

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:10 am    Post subject: poll Reply with quote

A poll? Certainly. Under two conditions. Anyone who wants to participate must first read all your posts, and all of mine, beginning with the FAQ. Second, they must explain their vote. I would be interested in the comments, positive or negative. Of the multitude of people who read this forum, I would be interested in knowing how many participated in your poll. I�m also curious how many forum users register versus how many strictly read. So a poll in that context probably doesn�t mean much, especially if people don�t articulate themselves. Ideas have a lot stronger affect on me than crude surveys, and behavior carries a lot more weight than opinion. Not answer you directly, sure. But what are you going to do if I respond to your posts using third person pronouns? Regardless of where you post or flame, and newbies venture outside their section, my comments about your behavior won�t change, poll or no poll. And it appears the odds of you changing your behavior are about as good. I won�t have a lot of regrets if I stop responding to your posts, either. I�m a lot more interested in networking than dualing, and you wear me out a lot faster than I wear you out. My drill sergeant, by the way, neither corrupted me, nor intimidated me, nor confused me. Newbies, China is an adventure, Sunaru is a plague.
denise

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FAQ China & Sunaru,

No disrespect intended towards either of you, as I enjoy the posts that both of you contribute, but I don't suppose you could a) end your dispute or b) move it to PMs? I get the impression (my apologies to SweetOne if I am mistaken...) that it was this sort of personal antagonism that prompted this thread in the first place. Your posts seem to have gone beyond critiquing each other's ideas and into the realm of critiquing personalities and backgrounds.

Maybe you can unite in flaming me for not minding my own business... (I confess that the older I get, the more lovey-dovey-can't-we-all-just-get-along I get.)

d
FAQ China

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:35 am    Post subject: support Reply with quote

Hug and kisses. Then more hugs and kisses.
denise

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

d
FAQ China

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:44 pm    Post subject: perimeter Reply with quote

Forums are designed to exchange ideas and information. Beyond that perimeter is a minefield. Never mind disclaimers. People who want a dart board instead of a message board should lobby the moderators for separate turf.
FAQ China

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:55 pm    Post subject: double take Reply with quote

???!!!...People come here looking for information to make career decisions. After 850 posts, he issues a disclaimer...!!!???
SweetOne

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

denise wrote:
but I don't suppose you could a) end your dispute or b) move it to PMs? I get the impression (my apologies to SweetOne if I am mistaken...) that it was this sort of personal antagonism that prompted this thread in the first place.

d

Thank you Denise for seeing the point of this thread. I implore all of you, please take it to the pm area. That is why we have it, isn't it? Among other reasons, I am sure.

Thank you
Peace,
SweetOne
Cobra

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uranus we will resolve your paranoia and other issues with the polygraph test in Beijing on Wednesday. That is, if you show up.
denise

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back, Sunaru. (You have been gone, right?)

d
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: