Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice on findng teaching jobs in Germany (esp. Stuttgart)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hughesie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bellevie wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I have been here in the Stuttgart area for 4 months. With help, I got my visa, health insurance and am now working for 5 different schools, including VHS and a University.

With this said, I just want to say thank you to those of you who gave me realistic and nice advice. Of course, the job market here completely different and is not as lucrative as the market in asia (I worked in Japan for two years), but I think its important to know that most people I have met here have not moved to Germany to make loads of money. They have come here for the lifestyle and the social opportunities that Europe provides.
So I just want to say that the negative advice on this forum is just not necessary and those of you out there who wish to move to Europe, Germany in particular, keep on keeping on. If you need some normal and realistic advice, I'd be happy to help. It works out!
Thanks to UcAlum and Puhutes in particular. You advice was really encouraging! cheers!

Good lord, you sound like a complete and utter baby... 'I want to say thank you for giving nice advice' You great big tart! Rolling Eyes Grow up!

If this is a veiled attack on the mighty spiral78 - I think she does a fantastic service on these forums giving good advice to anyone daft enough to wing it coming to Europe on little funds hoping to find work illegally. I bet any money belieeve that you went out to Germany with a significant amount of cash? Thats certainly possible - to find legal work from a position of financial strength - but how many people have written in on here stating their aim to teach in the EU and hoping to do it on little to no funds? Far too many people - and thats a recipe for disaster! And thankfully - Spiral78 has put them straight on their Walter Mitty, pipe dream stupidity which had the potential to cost them, their parents and their friends thousands of dollars if it all goes tetons up.

My advice to any non-EU teachers wanting to teach in Europe - work in Korea for a few years and save enough money to have a very long holiday in your desired country - so finding work does not have to be the be all and end all and if any misfortune befalls you - you can afford to bail yourself out and fly back home.

Can you find work in Europe if you are non-EU? I suppose - but always remember one thing - you are not needed in Europe any more than a British EFL teacher is needed in the United States to teach English to Mexican immigrants in Dallas. There is no shortage of native English speakers who are legal and can do the job just as well if not, better than you.

And remember kids - if someone hires you illegally - they will have no qualms about firing you illegally... I myself like to work within the law so I don't get shafted by shifty business people - its a shame not everyone sets the same standards for themselves.
bellevie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My post was not a direct attack on anyone, and I think you just proved my point about the negativity on this forum by outwardly insulting me, which is just completely unnecessary. One person's opinion is not the end all be all, and those with inexperience in the European market should be able to get a wide variety of opinions on the situation here without feeling horrible about themselves in the end. I think the points you're making are true and valid but can be made in a different way.
hughesie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bellevie wrote:
My post was not a direct attack on anyone,

You are right - it was a sneaky, veiled attack on certain posters - and the reality is we can narrow it down to one poster - that certain poster gives out damn good advice time and time and time again... she must feel like banging her head on the keyboard.

Quote:
and I think you just proved my point about the negativity on this forum by outwardly insulting me, which is just completely unnecessary.

You seem to think if we don't pander to the Walter Mitty dreamworld of delusional posters who come on here then we are being 'negative' The facts are this - this is a teaching English aboard website - it is about giving facts and not pandering to some Euro wet dream of some backpacker stateside! People need to be told of the facts - these days - the EU especially are closing off options for non EU residents to work within the schengen zone - thats really how simple it gets! It isn't that easy to get a job if you are an EU resident somewhere like Spain - you still need a few grand and to be on the ground pounding the pavements. And it is not like there is a shortage of CVs floating about either from legal, qualified applicants - as I said in my earlier - if I posted up on the NA forums about wanting to live in Texas and to teach ESL to Mexican immigrants in Dallas, but I was illegal and had limited funds - how successful would I be? What good advice would you give? So why is it any different for Americans wanting to come to Europe?

I'm not anti-American - I try to give the same advice for delusional British idiots wanting to go to South America without any educational background or experience and little funds - I don't know what life they think they are going to lead and how it can't end in a shitstorm. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
One person's opinion is not the end all be all, and those with inexperience in the European market should be able to get a wide variety of opinions on the situation here without feeling horrible about themselves in the end.

If spiral - who is American and has lived and taught in Europe for nearly 20 years and has got EU citizenship - is not a poster for people to listen to - then I don't know who is. Again - why should this be a forum to backslap stupid ideas of people who have no idea of what they are doing and are ill equipped financially or mentally to make it work. You were qualified to teach in Europe so you got work, it looked like you had money to survive and to put in place the legal requirements to make yourself permemant. Good for you and I mean that! But your situation isn't the norm and you know it. I have worked illegally in Argentina - and though that is a country where you can work without papers and not come unstuck - the employment practices of your bosses and the fickle nature of your private students means that you can do a year there before
you hit a wall - its only fair that we tell people the truth of what it is like to work illegally in a country where you will be treated like crap - it drains your soul in the end - and to tell people that you can make a long term investment by being illegal? its not fair and its not morally right.

Quote:
I think the points you're making are true and valid but can be made in a different way.
[/quote]

I have made the same points nicely in the South American forums and people don't listen I am afraid - I don't really care as it is not my funeral - but sometimes - being blunt is the only way to get your point across.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those with inexperience in the European market should be able to get a wide variety of opinions

I think a part of the problem here is - where does fact end and opinion begin?

The Schengen zone and its rules are facts.

The restrictions many Western European countries have in place on non-EU English teachers are facts, though those restrictions sometimes change, and they vary by country.

Fact: in some Western European countries a school can petition for an exception to the EU - only hiring rule. This was what happened in my case. However, (OPINION now, but educated one) no school is going to go through this complicated and expensive process for an American with a BA and a CELTA, when there are tonnes of EU candidates with these qualifications on the job market.

Writing about the facts of the restrictions in place in Europe is realistic.

Obviously, it's not always good news, but it's fair that people know before investing time/money/energy in a move.
artemisia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject: Stuttgart area Reply with quote

I've been reading this thread with some interest. I know I was glad to leave just as all the pension requirements started being actioned. As I recall it wasn't a law change but rather that the (old) law was about to be enforced and that freelancers would have to backpay into the fund. It sounded like it was going to financially cripple quite alot of teachers there.
I was there on an EU passport so didn't have to worry about the regulations that American teachers I knew there did. I had health insurance but a lot of people didn't. I thought it was ALWAYS a legal requirement to have it but maybe that's now enforced with those who need work visas.
Money wasn't such a big issue during the years I worked there. I usually had enough work- sometimes more than I really wanted, though I remember a lean period of 6 months or so. The problem I found with being a freelancer was that you pretty much had to work like an employee but without the benefits. I still had a lot more freedom though in terms of taking holidays when I wished. I never tried that hard to find work outside of schools as I was really there to be a student and travel and mostly just wanted enough work to live on. I found that companies valued business experience far more than tefl quals and that a knowledge of German was certainly appreciated. The Daimler Chrysler merger was still a big thing at one time and there was plenty of English teaching and some companies were keen on having American English teachers. How much that translated to sponsoring work visas I can't say.

I miss Germany (and regularly speaking German) but decided it wasn't a country I wanted to be in really long term (with the exception maybe of Berlin-my favourite city but I never fancied being a freelance teacher there). Good luck to all of you teachers there.

Last edited by artemisia on Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total
jm2505

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Inlingua Reply with quote

I think that working freelance with this school is a safer option - at least you can walk away if they mess you around. I worked for Inlingua Paderborn for a bit and they were awful to work for. Even some my students had a low opinion of them.
renovatio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey aozora, I was wondering if you would give an update on your status in Frankfurt. I will be coming out there in July to stay with a friend, and any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: