Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What were you doing on Sept. 11 2001?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Isla Reply with quote

GOTL wrote:
Isla Guapa wrote:
I had the feeling that was the case. I wonder what I would have done if I had been a teacher at that school on that fateful day.

You would have have done what was in heart to do. You would have found that inner strength you have and tried to enlighten another person. Even if you didnt reach them, you would have tried.

I would have tried, but I would also have felt a lot of anger, which would have been hard to keep under control. And that would have diminished any "enlightenment" I would have wanted to offer.
wangdaning

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is thought by many that mossad and the CIA were involved. There was also the group of Israelis who were seen and arrested dancing and taking pictures as the event happened.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081224050533AA1RO4m

The story ran on most large media outlets, but the stories are gone. They also interviewed on Israeli tv once they were returned to Israel.

I am not saying bigotry is ok, but Israel is a nation that has proven its willingness to attack other nations, including the US (USS Liberty). It is not far fetched or out of the question. The issue gets blurred because Israel is a "Jewish" state. Many people therefore place its actions on all Jewish people or feel any criticism of it is of all Jewish people. Both are absurd conclusions. It is kind of like when white people are blamed for slavery when less the 10% of the population was involved with it.

As sad as 9/11 was for many, the reaction the world has given it has been worse. Millions have died in the name of the victims of 9/11 (many women and children). I think this is the real tragedy of it all.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wangdaning wrote:
It is thought by many that mossad and the CIA were involved.

This is a vague statement made with no facts to back it up. I think that people believe statements like this one when they're predisposed to think ill of Mossad and the CIA and look for information on the internet and elsewhere to back up their opinions.
ls650

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was working in British Columbia at the time, and had taken a couple of days vacation to make a camping trip to Hornby Island, just off the coast. It was a beautiful, sunny Tuesday morning when I woke up in my tent and flipped on a portable radio. I heard the reports of the first plane hitting the tower, but at that point the newscasters still thought it was a terrible accident.

As I packed up my camping gear I kept listening and then heard about the second plane hitting the other tower. I realized that we were seeing the opening shots of what I now think is essentially a third world war. I got in my car and drove home as quickly as I safely could. As soon as I got in the door I flipped on the TV, and within a few seconds saw the video of the second plane disappearing into the mass of the tower. It was like a punch in the gut, and I still find viewing images of that day chills me.

This past Sunday I tried to watch some of the ceremonies around the new memorial in New York. I had to turn the TV off and go outside for a long walk; watching it was just too sad.

I think back to what the '90s were like and try to compare them to the ten years since. It's not as though things were perfect then, but the world seems like a much darker, more screwed-up place now.
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:

You made me remember...I flew through Chicago on United up to Canada a week before. For many months after Sept. 11th I couldn't stop thinking about the flight attendants and their colleagues. I never learned their names or if they were on any of the stricken flights (probably not) but their faces haunted me nonetheless for quite some time.

Imagine being trapped on a plane thousands of feet in the air.

There is nowhere to go. There is no escape.

There are armed fanatics who can cut your throat.

I don't know what any of us would have done in that situation...

Neutral
geaaronson

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn`t have much work that day and for some reason went to work several hours early, just to stop by to talk to my boss about a project we were working on and had no plans on staying, and happened to walk in when she was glued to the TV. I looked, and in the first moments, saw the plane go through the tower, and thought, "Don`t those damn fools know they just committed suicide", before I realized it was a suicide attack.

It`s surprising the stupid things that go through one`s head under emergency situations, or at least mine since I can`t speak for anyone else. When the Cuban missile crisis was underway between the Krushev and Kennedy, I first learned of it on my ride to elementary school. It was our dirver, the fourth grade teacher, a Canadian by birth married to an American engineer, who so dramatically declaimed the impending disaster, and all I could think was "why should she care, she`s a canadian". Stupid kid that I was.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: