Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tenencia
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MotherF

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And to think that my 20 minute commute is driving me INSANE!
Phil_K

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On speed though, nothing beats the metro on shorter hops - maybe not the comfiest - or better, the metrobus. If I lived in the burbs, it would be a different story...2 hours in by car and comfy or 3 hours in by bus and not comfy.

...and that's the problem. a lack of an INTEGRATED transport system.

Even the "speedy" metro has its problems, continual stopping in tunnels, divided carriages at rush hour, and have you ever tried Pino Su�rez at rush hour? Sad . I do take the metro if I'm just going downtown, as it's direct and few stations from my local station, but it's still a punishment.

However, I digress. Even if public transport went from my door to wherever I wanted to go, I'd still take the car. Why? Because I want to! Wink
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's disappointing that they didn't integrate the MB with the metro as far as cards/fares go and some foresight 40 years ago in putting down 2 tracks instead of one for an express train like NYC has would have been great.

MB lines 2 and 3 serve me very well. I doubt I'll ever use the new line 4 though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
It's disappointing that they didn't integrate the MB with the metro as far as cards/fares go and some foresight 40 years ago in putting down 2 tracks instead of one for an express train like NYC has would have been great.

MB lines 2 and 3 serve me very well. I doubt I'll ever use the new line 4 though.

Yeah, no kidding. And even though they SAY if you transfer lines of the Metrobus within a certain timeframe you won't be charged again, in my experience that has only been true about 50% of the time.

I do think I will make some use of the new line, for example, it goes to Buenavista, where there is a nice, big WalMart and a nice, big Parisina (fabric store). I can also get there on the Metro (with LOTS of walking) or a Micro (right through Tepito) so to get there the MB has a slight advantage. Of course, that is also the terminal for the line that goes down Insurgentes, so that is another plus. Overall, though, it is not as big a deal as I thought it was going to be. I just don't think a lot of thought went into it. The area is serves mostly already has lots of good options for transportation, and while this might be more comfortable, and safer, it is slower and more expensive.
Phil_K

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that all transport IS going to be integrated regarding the payment soon, ahead of the opening of Metro Line 12 (the opening of which WILL actually benefit me, and particularly my wife). I understand that metro tickets will be discontinued, you'll have to use a smartcard, and that card will be valid on other forms of transport. I don't have the details, so if anyone else knows about this...
New Haven

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFLeducator:

You speak as though you are living and working in Mexico, yet you write: "We don't need a good public transportation system in the U.S. because people here make enough to buy cars." So I am a little confused about your location. If you are not in fact, living and working as an EFL teacher in Mexico, how are you qualified to give advice based on alleged conditions there?

Secondly, I would like to take issue with the quoted statement. Some, not all, make enough money to afford cars. This has been particularly true since the economic meltdown of 2008, the effects of which are still being felt. Many Americans continue to suffer unemployment or underemployment and may be quite happy that any public transportation exists...good, bad or indifferent.

Sharon
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Haven wrote:
EFLeducator:

You speak as though you are living and working in Mexico, yet you write: "We don't need a good public transportation system in the U.S. because people here make enough to buy cars." So I am a little confused about your location.

I have been in the U.S. since September 2011.

New Haven wrote:
If you are not in fact, living and working as an EFL teacher in Mexico, how are you qualified to give advice based on alleged conditions there?

Simple TEFLer...Before returning to the states 7 months ago I was living and teaching in Mexico City since June 2008 permanently. From July 1997 until June 2008 I was teaching and living in Mexico City off and on plus taking numerous trips from Dallas, Texas to Mexico City by bus so I could work on my Spanish and be exposed to the Mexican culture. And I still have friends in Mexico City teaching who keep me up to date. Plus I will be returning in the future. So, I have been teaching, working, living, and traveling in Mexico for 14 years. THAT'S how I'm qualified TEFLer. And you have been working, traveling, and living in Mexico for how long???
New Haven

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFLeducator:

I lived and worked in Mexico for three years consistently, 2006-2009; then back in the States for 2 years and now in Mexico again since September 2011. So in terms of living and working here on a continual basis, a little more time than you...though not as much time as you traveling back and forth perfecting my Spanish and soaking up the culture.

Sharon
Dragonlady

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I for one am really happy that New Haven and EFLeducator have had a chance to bare their respective chests. God bless them.

I'll take this opportunity to add that IMHO it really doesn't matter how long anyone has been anywhere to learn anything, it's whether or not one has been paying attention to the lesson. Laughing

DL

BTW: TEFL stands for teacher of English as a foreign language, yes? So TEFLer is teacher of English as a foreign languageR?? I'm confused. Confused
Enchilada Potosina

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragonlady wrote:
BTW: TEFL stands for teacher of English as a foreign language, yes? So TEFLer is teacher of English as a foreign languageR?? I'm confused. Confused

Isn't it the noun from the verb to tefl? Wink
Phil_K

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'll take this opportunity to add that IMHO it really doesn't matter how long anyone has been anywhere to learn anything, it's whether or not one has been paying attention to the lesson.

I'll second that, but aren't we digressing? Tenencia...
notamiss

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenencia� going to the bank now to pay. See you later.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:

That is coming! I just saw an article in the paper yesterday that there were going to be cards that you could use in both the Metro and Metrobus, the card will cost 10 pesos, and will come with two Metro fares included. The first run of cards is going to be 1 million, the goal is to eventually do away with paper tickets altogether (Thurday, La Jornada, Mexico DF)
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
Guy Courchesne wrote:

That is coming! I just saw an article in the paper yesterday that there were going to be cards that you could use in both the Metro and Metrobus, the card will cost 10 pesos, and will come with two Metro fares included. The first run of cards is going to be 1 million, the goal is to eventually do away with paper tickets altogether (Thurday, La Jornada, Mexico DF)

Well that's good to hear...the MB is a public/private partnership whereas the metro is strictly public. I didn't think they would be able to mesh them for that reason, but I guess revenue isn't difficult to divide out when it's all electronic via the cards.

So where is MB line 5 going to be? Reforma is too nice an avenue to rip up all the trees and flowers in the middle, but they really need the MB there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:

So where is MB line 5 going to be? Reforma is too nice an avenue to rip up all the trees and flowers in the middle, but they really need the MB there.

Bite your tongue! And what about the landscaped middle strip that goes through Chapultepec where exhibitions of contemporary sculpture are often held?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: