Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

20 Lecturers Sacked in Ibri
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roses189

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those figures I quoted earlier were in an attached offer we had to sign and email back. I did question if the 75omr per month for gratuity and airfare were paid over 12 months (including while on annual leave) and they did confirm by email that it would be. I can't get my head around why they would say 30 days annual leave in another email unless it's a typo as 60 is the norm. As far as I know the colleges have always closed for two months at the end of Spring semester. When I started with Hawthorne it was 6 weeks before we started the process to get our resident cards etc. Medicals etc were done during non-teaching hours over the course of a week and it wasn't a big deal. Hopefully Al Nawa follow suit!
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Hope dies last Reply with quote

If 30 days of annual leave is offered, it will be in the contract.
If you signed it, you accepted it.

Again, it has become the norm that teachers trade a week's salary for a week's holiday (e.g. commonly in April during semester break). Shortening the annual leave will ensure that some /most/all teachers will salary sacrifice to get a decent break. The money will be flowing back to Al Nawa.

Al Nawa has an established procedure (medical check, biometrics, residency card). Once completed, teachers start work and get paid. Why should they change their routine?

Hawthorn lost the contract. It makes no sense for Al Nawa to follow suit and risk loosing their contract.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, if I couldn't get generous holidays then, I, for one, wouldn't have ever considered living in the Gulf. However, that's just my take on it and others, of course, will have different POVs.

Besides, given the ridiculous amount of 'desk-warming' that goes on at the CAS Colleges, for the life of me, I don't see why they would be tampering with the old 60 days' leave entitlement. If they were to add more teaching weeks to the schedule then that would be a different matter, because, at least then, you would actually be serving a purpose. As things stand, they could easily add/have added another three to four weeks leave and, as I've said before elsewhere, all it would do is improve recruitment, morale, staff retention rates and, arguably, the quality of teaching. What benefit is derived by having teachers twiddling their thumbs at their desks for weeks on end is beyond me, but, anyway.....

danshengou wrote:
Those salaries and benefits are awfully low. Just doesn't seem worth it.

I guess it depends. A lot of my friends in Salalah look like they will be trying to stay on with the new company. Many of them are close to retirement age, are established and they don't want to start fresh somewhere else. Plus, at the Salalah CAS at least, we had very low teaching hours for the last year or so. They say they are going to trot out some new initiatives to attract new students, but time will tell whether this will work out. However, at least when I was there, the amount of pay we were getting, for the amount of work we were doing, was actually very generous.
danshengou

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What benefit is derived by having teachers twiddling their thumbs at their desks for weeks on end is beyond me, but, anyway....

Aye, but it's about the appearance of there being work to do. That said, your argument about just paying teachers to take another 4 weeks off would in fact do wonders for morale. But the higher-ups will have their own plans.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danshengou wrote:
Quote:
What benefit is derived by having teachers twiddling their thumbs at their desks for weeks on end is beyond me, but, anyway....

Aye, but it's about the appearance of there being work to do. That said, your argument about just paying teachers to take another 4 weeks off would in fact do wonders for morale. But the higher-ups will have their own plans.

I couldn't agree more about about the importance attached to appearances. In regards to the leave, sure, and if they gave that additional time off, they could still attract people, with the desirable qualifications, whilst paying less. I would have been more than happy to make a few hundred bucks less a month if it meant that I was getting an extra month off. I'm sure a lot of other people would feel the same way. If they did that for every teacher, over every CAS, they would save themselves a fortune.

However, after living in the Gulf for two years, I honestly don't think that they think that way. Attitudes might be changing soon, but, I think the prevailing mindset has been that money just comes bubbling out of the ground, so what does it matter if a chunk of it gets wasted in obvious mismanagement? There's plenty more oil where that came from Rolling Eyes.
danshengou

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they allow unpaid leave during the non-teaching weeks? This would equate to the same thing more or less.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danshengou wrote:
Do they allow unpaid leave during the non-teaching weeks? This would equate to the same thing more or less.

I'm not sure about the new firm, but, Hawthorn was against granting any leave for any time other than July and August. However, that was a fairly recent policy introduced last year.
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Salary sacrifice Reply with quote

Al Nawa allows unpaid leave during July/August.
Previously, the norm was 60 calendar days paid annual leave.
Currently, the norm is 30 calendar days paid leave.
Ergo, teachers can "buy" another 30 calendar days to get 60 days in total. So, you will loose one month's salary. If you earn 1000 Rials per month, you will salary sacrifice 1000 Rials to cover the 30 days annual leave, which used to be a paid entitlement.
Having 1000 Rials less when going on holidays might be an additional hardship, as it will be difficult anyway to save money in order to travel.
So, it's really only 11 months salary per year.
Tazz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that many of these College positions are 'interior' postings-in towns with little or nothing to do, this new 30 days paid vacation sounds like absolute BS to me. At least the MOM agency hires got a much needed paid break at end December for 9-10 days. I've seen the CAS guys literally at each others throats both outside and inside the College in Ibri partly induced I think by the endless grind of working in an increasingly toxic working environment with little recreational opportunities outside the work place. ant to sign up for this? Confused
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:48 am    Post subject: Time is money Reply with quote

I suspect that the new 30 days annual leave was created to force teachers into salary sacrifice for time off.
Inbetween semesters, there is nothing to do. So, teachers either show up every day to sign in and get their salary or take unpaid leave. Anybody able to go without a break for 11 months will be able to save enough for travel during the month off. Anybody taking unpaid leave won't have enough Rials to travel outside Oman.
Meanwhile, the agency will rake in the money from those teachers who give up their salary for some free time. Calculate 30 unpaid days of annual leave/ 1000 Rials per teacher per year for the 20 teachers who got sacked in Ibri and are replaced with these new contracts, you'll easily see why Al Nawa is pushing for that arrangement.
Roses189

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know all the ex-Hawthorne staff have received the same contract from Al Nawa giving 60 days annual leave. Last year Hawthorne allowed some staff to take unpaid leave in January but unpaid meant giving up salary + travel allowance + rent + utilities for the time you took off which made it far too expensive.
Siobhan 22

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch.

Anyone know if the same holiday entitlements now apply at the Technology Colleges - under TATI?

Having said TATI, Al Nawa also sent an emai trying to recruit candidates for Al Musanna and Ibra CT's in early July.
Tazz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One similarity between the MOM [Colleges of Technology] and MOHE [Colleges of Applied Sciences] gigs was that neither received any contract extensions prior to the break at beginning of July.....make of that what you will-but the teachers departed anytime after 4th July in the firm belief that they'd be getting the same deal for the next academic year. Everybody put TATI and the other's failure to show up with the contracts [which they normally do 2-3 weeks prior to end semester] down to the timing of Ramadan this year, but who knows if upon return at the end of August there won't be some.....changes!
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Take it or leave it Reply with quote

The oil crisis is hidding hard. Oman has run up massive debt in the last couple of years. Savings must be made and the salaries of teachers at the various colleges are a big ticket. Most are expats who can be easily disposed off, if they rebell against worsening conditions.

Any teacher returning from annual leave and having to sign up for a new contract would be very naive in assuming that pay and benefits stay the same. It will be a case of 10-15% less and a "take it or leave it" situation.

Teachers who are direct hire with the MOM (Ministry of Madness) have already gone through it earlier in the year and the agencies are now following suit.
Roses189

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We knew we should expect a drop in salary but never thought we'd lose half our annual leave entitlement. I'll be signing the contract because I'm already settled and have to go back regardless. But I'll be finding a new position and resigning asap. Such a shame. I really did like working there and felt we were working towards improving the program for the students.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: