Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ninja Teacher In HCM
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tellersquill

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news - I got a job in HCM starting in August!

I only need an online tefl with a 20hr practical as the my new boss said they will help train me up when I am there.

The wage isn't the greatest as its just over a $1,000 per month for 20hrs of in class work, but the housing is free so that's a big bonus. Hopefully my cost of living without rent will be around $500 so if I am lucky I can save $500 per month.

The head of the school is British and I think that's reassuring for me for whatever reason. He also told me that there is plenty of guidance and training and that's really great to hear as a new teacher.

Overall I'm very happy.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Personally, my advice would have been to get the CELTA and then start applying for jobs from there, but, if this is the way you want to go then good luck to you. Hope it works out.
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tellersquill wrote:
Good news - I got a job in HCM starting in August!

I only need an online tefl with a 20hr practical as the my new boss said they will help train me up when I am there.

The wage isn't the greatest as its just over a $1,000 per month for 20hrs of in class work, but the housing is free so that's a big bonus. Hopefully my cost of living without rent will be around $500 so if I am lucky I can save $500 per month.

The head of the school is British and I think that's reassuring for me for whatever reason. He also told me that there is plenty of guidance and training and that's really great to hear as a new teacher.

Overall I'm very happy.

20 hours of work per month or per week? 20 hours per month would make more sense for that low pay. If it's 20 hours per week, you're being taken for a fool.

5 hours of work per week for $1000 and free housing is pretty relaxed. I think you're going to have trouble saving money with all that free time on your hands.
skarper

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm dubious tellersquill is actually genuine. Feels more and more like someone trying to wind us up.

I would run a mile from that job offer. Very low pay for a summer gig and free housing is always a minefield.

'Plenty of help and guidance for a new teacher' just about has me falling off my chair laughing....
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know skarper, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he is genuine. Anyway, 20 hours a week works out to about 12 USD an hour. Very much on the low side, but, if he is getting a free, decent apartment that would otherwise cost 400-450 USD a month then it's not that bad. If I was him, I'd certainly be wanting to know the location and would be taking a very close look at the photos. Personally, I'd prefer to just be paid more and decide on my own lodgings, but, whatever. Remember, tellersquire has decided to opt for an online TEFL certificate and most of the larger schools in Saigon wouldn't even consider him for a job with one of those. Like I said, not that way I would have suggested, but, it's his call and good luck to him.
rogerwilco

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tellersquill wrote:

The wage isn't the greatest as its just over a $1,000 per month for 20hrs of in class work, but the housing is free

My guess is:

20 hours a week. ($12 an hour)
Shared housing.

Shared housing can be heaven or hell.

I think I interviewed with that company about a year ago.
Is there also mandatory meetings or office time ? When I added up all the time I would have to be at that school it was about 30-35 hours a week.

No thanks !
tellersquill

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I divided the wage $1000 per month, plus rent $300, plus visa paid for and a paid holidays and I divided it by 80hrs and it comes out at 18$ per hour.

I'm told that for a teacher with zero experience but with a tefl and a degree 18$ per hour is pretty normal (some may get 20$).

After 6 months my contract will be reviewed and he said that most people who choose to stay on get an extra dollar or two per hour.

I feel its a good first job that is waiting for me when I get there. Plus, if I don't like it after 6 months or I feel I can earn more I can always apply for other positions and the plus factor is I will also have experience by then.
tellersquill

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the tefl - its 100 hours online and 20 hours in class - so its a pretty standard mix (but not just an online course).

I couldn't afford the celta in the end - it costs £1,500 without housing!

I have around £3,500 in savings. Flights and moving costs come up to a £1,000 and this leaves me with £2,000 as a backup and to help with living costs for the first one month where I don't get a wage.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerwilco wrote:
tellersquill wrote:

The wage isn't the greatest as its just over a $1,000 per month for 20hrs of in class work, but the housing is free

My guess is:

20 hours a week. ($12 an hour)
Shared housing.

Shared housing can be heaven or hell.

I think I interviewed with that company about a year ago.
Is there also mandatory meetings or office time ? When I added up all the time I would have to be at that school it was about 30-35 hours a week.

No thanks !

Shared housing, you say? 30-35 compulsory hours a week on site, eh? If that is indeed the case then, yeah, I agree with skarper and Expat Luke. Take this deal tellersquill and you're being taken for a mug.
tellersquill

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I can always accept the position and apply for other positions in the meantime as I don't actually sign a contract until I arrive.

If I don't find anything better before july I will take it and then look for a new job after the 6 month contract is up.
RustyShackleford

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Skarper now. This guy, if he's not a troll, is a rube and I'm done here.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: