Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canadian female in Cairo
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rana

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ally951 wrote:
Also... (just remembered)

I'm trying to pack the typical sundries, but I obviously can't bring enough to supply me for a year - are similar products available there? For instance, eye contact solution (I use 'Ultracare') (I will be bringing two pairs of glasses as well), painkillers, lotions/creams, ahem, feminine products... I realize these products are there, but I suppose the brands/types are different. I'm just trying to figure out how much I should bring from home, if at all.

Clothing is a whole other thing. How cold can it get in Cairo? I've packed a few sweaters, a jean jacket, and the rest are button-downs and t-shirts, plus pants, and below the knee skirts and shorts. Should I bring something warmer? Lighter?

I know these questions may seem petty, but I really am at a loss of what to pack. So far, I have one large suitcase and a carry on filled. I'm hoping that'll be all I need to bring...

Thanks again,
A

you can find most things in Egypt, but in some cases you might be paying a much higher price and you may not find your preferred product. like as far as shampoos go you will find Pert Plus and Pantene, wmong other local brands. The lens solution, they should have but not sureabout the brand. You will find panadol as a painkiller (which is like tylenol/ acetamenophin, but you wont find ibuprofen/ advil or aleve). they have some lotions, but nothing fancy -there also is a an avon and oraflame in cairo so you might find stuff there. feminine products, they have always. you probably wont where shorts much unless you have a non-public area to recreate near your home or when you go to the beach. you wont be wearing shorts in the city, unless you want the hassle of standing out more and looking like a tourist. i would pack a heavier jacket, not Canada heavy but the nights get COLD! you would be surprised and the fact that you arein dreamlan which is out in the desert you will get lots of wind and that is really what makes Cairo cold the wind, especially in the evening. if you can bring nicer items of clothing as opposed to sloppy/ casual you will make a better impression on egyptians, as someone mentioned they like to dress there best in public and when going out. at home they are often found in pajamas or galabiya or robe.

you will be able to get to Cairo on the 2 le air conditioned CTA from 6th october city. 1000$ usd will be 5,800 le, which is plenty to live on and travel with but depending on your spending habits you may not save much. dreamland is VERY nice it is very much like a gorgeous planned community (in the states) on a golf course, complete with pools, schools, shopping, etc. many people are moving out there to get away from the city. if you have questions once you get here you can email me and i can give you my number, if you email after the end of the month i will probably be busy with a new baby and my visiting parents.

hth,
rana
rana

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i forgot to mention you might not find something when you need it or you might have to go a few places. the first week we returned a few weeks ago we went to alfa market, a huge store for basics milk, yogurt, veggies and all we found was bread as far as what we needed on our list so we had to go to metro market. i was surprised not to find what we needed at alfa, though we dont usually go there anyhow. the otherweek i couldnt find molfix diapers at carrefoure a HUGE hypermarket. so one way to go about things in cairo is buy when you see something in stock as you may not see it again for a while, and if the price is good all the more reason to buy b/c the discount doesnt last long except at metro market, goes for 1 month.

hth,
rana
Ally951

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that, Rana. I think the jitters are starting to hit now that it's near....!

Cheers,
A
rana

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in case you are interested a friend of mine told me about a yahoo group called women living in egypt. you might find some more info and support there.

rana
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took a while, but I finally located the group in Yahoo. Any others I found using various titles seemed to be 'dating' service type board.

It is called 'Foreign Women Living in Egypt' and the intro page suggests that many of its member are Muslim converts. But, I am sure that they would be very helpful. It is not a large group, but seems to have become more active this summer according to the message numbers.

VS
Ally951

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all --

I am flying out to Cairo on September 17th, with a long, long stopover in Amsterdam. I arrive in Cairo at 1:30 in the morning on the 19th - which kind of worried me, but I've been told that I will get picked up and that flights of ten come in at that time at Cairo International.

I have packed all essentials (assisted by all of you, thank you) and am trying not to forget anything. I will definitely check this board as often as I can - to the moderators - keep up the good work.

Cheers,
A
eyda

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Cairo Airport Reply with quote

Just some last minute tips. Unless a school rep is meeting you INSIDE, you'll need to purchase a tourist visa...like a postage stamp ($10 or 15 USD - can't remember), available at one of the bank counters as you enter the terminal. (Go to Bank of Alexandria - usually best rates for exchange anyway) Then you proceed to passport control, where they put the stamp in your passport. There are luggage carts, and tons of men wanting to help you with your luggage. $1 USD is tip enough, or cope on your own. Go through 'nothing to declare' and then try to find your contact. They may stop you, but if you act like you come there all the time they should just wave you through. There'll be a mess of people at that hour, as most flights from the real world arrive middle of the night. If you want to make duty free purchases, there's a small shop just before you leave the terminal area. 'Adult beverages' may be purchased there or at stores you'll never find in Cairo only within 24 hours of your arrival in the country. Egyptian spirits have been known to cause death (I'm serious - Canadian embassy sent out a message warning westerners). So if you think you'll be needing something, buy yourself something in A'dam, or before you leave the airport - they only take REAL money, also. (I had some friends who'd pay ANYONE to be able to use their booze allowance...serious money can be made if you have friends who like to drink! Wink

You'll have about a 45 min. drive to your accommodations, and you may glimpse those massive dark shadows of pyramids. Laughing Regardless, you'll see them in the day IF there's not too much smog.

BEST of LUCk, Ally!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Luck Ally... let us know how it goes...

VS
Ally951

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will stay in touch - A Very Happy
Ally951

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: In Cairo Reply with quote

Hi all!!

Just wanted to post a note that I'm in Cairo! Dreamland to be exact, but I"m at an Internet cafe inside City Star Market. I've been here for a little more than 2 weeks now and I'm only beginning to gain my bearings. There's so many questions that I wanted to ask and post, but little comes to mind right now.

I don't have Internet access at the school I'm at - which is weird. This is why I haven't been posting until today. The school didn't pick me up at the airport when I arrived in Cairo two weeks ago. My flight was delayed a day and so they got the times mixed up or something like that. Needless to say, I was scared as hell when I arrived and no one was there. It was 2:30 in the morning. I took a taxi to Dreamland which cost about 120LE.

The school administrators did not provide me with towels, toilet paper, transportation to a grocery store, etc. I have a room with my own washroom, but I share a kitchen with the rest of the teachers and maids (yes, maids). The kitchen is split into three and the stove room is disgusting. I've eaten mashi, koshary (like it) and tamaya (also good). I've been to Giza to find some stuff, but have yet to find fresh, good groceries around Dreamland. I have been to 6th of October, which is probably where I'll be able to find some produce.

I've taken mostly buses, with the assistence of an Egyptian friend at the school, but it seems I'll never be able to navigate that. I don't know the numbers in Arabic, I'm trying to pick up as much Arabic as possible.

I know when I'm getting ripped off, but don't know how to argue it properly so I'll just buy the item at the inflated price.

I would love go take a trip to Sharm, as well as Siwa (complete opposite of Sharm), but I don't know if it's possible. I have one day off and a week in X-mas and in the spring.

I don't know when the next time I"ll be able to check email but soon, inshallah.

A
QatarChic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: In Cairo Reply with quote

Ally951 wrote:
Hi all!!

I took a taxi to Dreamland which cost about 120LE.

I would love go take a trip to Sharm, as well as Siwa (complete opposite of Sharm), but I don't know if it's possible. I have one day off and a week in X-mas and in the spring.

I don't know when the next time I"ll be able to check email but soon, inshallah.

A

Congrats on arriving safely! 120LE to dreamland? Ouch Shocked yeah beware they will take advantage of the fact that you are a foreigner....but you will soon learn the tricks of the trade! Enjoy the adventure, mayhem, and excitement that is Cairo...... Very Happy
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ally,

So far things sound about par for the course. I think that you knew that the conditions would not be great. Hang in there and keep your sense of humor and adventure.

VS
(BTW... 120 EP is only about US$20-21. It is a very long way from the airport to past Giza.. so I would say that was not an outrageous amount. If you had been in a larger US city it would have probably been 3-5 times that amount)
QatarChic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
(BTW... 120 EP is only about US$20-21. It is a very long way from the airport to past Giza.. so I would say that was not an outrageous amount. If you had been in a larger US city it would have probably been 3-5 times that amount)

True VS Smile but I managed to get a ride then for around LE 60-65 From the airport to Dreamland....it may not sound a lot but once you add it up it could cost $$$ in the long run.... Sad
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cairo taxi fares are definitely has a variance from the Egyptian local rate through Middle East experienced person to first-timer and then up to the top rate which is charged if you are a Gulf Arab. You don't get the lower rates till you get the bargaining system, which really isn't that difficult. Laughing

Actually her school should refund it since they forget to pick her up. But, they don't sound like the kind of place that will.

Next time when she can wow them with her Egyptian Arabic, the price will even be less than US$20.

VS
SOBELLE

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ally,

First of all we are all happy to hear from you, I know what it is to go to a foreign country for the first time and try to figure out everything!! I think you are doing great! Don't feel bad about being ripped of, I am an Arab, I speak the language and had difficulties getting around when I visited Egypt last year. The key answer is to ask before you go anywhere, before you buy anything. On the other hand, I heard from Egyptian vendors and sales people that the stingiest people are the foreigners, according to them even when they give the right price, they still think they are being ripped of!!
Anyway, thank you for taking the time and letting us know how it is going for you, I am sure it will be useful for future teachers!!
Veiledsentiment, you seemed to be very knowledgeable about what�s going on in Egypt, can you tell me if I have a chance of getting job in Egypt with a Master's degree in computer and technology in education?
Thanks.
Sonia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: