Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bullying
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geronimo

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early on in this thread jdl asked what action the individual
might take to contend with bullying in the workplace.
I think that this question is a very pertinent one; and it is also
a very difficult one to find an effective answer for in Qatar.

In the U.K., the government itself provides guidance notes to address the problem:- http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/ResolvingWorkplaceDisputes/DiscriminationAtWork/DG_10026670

However, in this country, there aren't any effective trade unions,
and a good H.R. Dept. is very hard to find...
So, to quote Peter Cook:
"Who do I turn to? Who do I get in touch with?"

The only option available appears to be -
as other posters have already indicated -
to prepare the ground for an early exit. Sad

Geronimo
Warning Bells

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Well, you can report the bullying and harassment to upper management if the aggressors happen to be colleagues. But most of the time they tend to treat the reports as unimportant and remain indifferent. So another option is to read a book on the topic. Bullying is generally verbal abuse. I like this book: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Verbal. Self-Defense by Lillian Glass Ph.d. She's a best selling author and an authority on the subject.
Geronimo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I'm not a complete idiot myself, Smile , Warnig Bells,
I'll check out the text that you have recommended.

Many years ago my manager sent me on an Assertive Training course,
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A2998551

On that course I learnt how to deploy- through role-playing - some techniques
which could conceivably be deployed against bullies in the workplace...

http://ezinearticles.com/?Top-Ten-Assertiveness-Techniques&id=3592138 and

www.breakoutofthebox.com/LouisianaStateAssertivenessSummary.pdf

I think that if a recurrent series of uncomfortable encouters can be transformed in to a 'learning experience',
the battle is halfway to being won.

Geronimo
lollaerd

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The head of HCCQ has a reputation for bullying. This is not surprising. Some students unearthed unsavory facts about her past career on the internet and talked to newspaper reporters about these things. Unfortunately most of the details were only published in Arabic papers but students all over Qatar were openly talking about her past and her mismanagement issues.
idaho_potato

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Leadersip VS Control Reply with quote

Quote:
Leadership vs. Control
February 27, 2012, Chronicle of Higher Education

By Rob Jenkins

A new administrator takes over a department or division and immediately begins issuing edicts, disbanding committees, replacing people, and squelching the inevitable dissent�through fear and intimidation, if necessary. In another area, a new person comes in and right away starts working to build consensus, listening to those who have been there longer and seeking to understand the issues before making any drastic decisions. How can two people in such similar situations take such radically divergent approaches? One of the most misunderstood aspects of higher-education administration, I believe, is the difference between leadership and control. Sadly, too many administrators are focused primarily on controlling the people and circumstances around them rather than on providing actual leadership to their areas.

Ironically enough, these are often the same individuals who, as underlings, squawked the loudest when they felt that their superiors were too authoritarian. Obviously, they�ve never been taught, either by example or any other means, the qualities that make a good leader. True leadership requires humility, a willingness to listen, to admit that others might know more about a given area or situation, to acknowledge that one might actually be wrong on occasion. Control, on the other hand, is prideful and arrogant, seeking to have its own way and make others conform to its vision. An effective leader listens more than speaks, whispers more than shouts, apologizes more than blames.

True leadership seeks to serve rather than be served. History and religious tradition provide many examples of such leaders, from Ghandi to Martin Luther King, Jr., from Socrates to Jesus Christ, who famously taught that the last shall be first and the first shall be last. Leaders understand that one of their most important functions � perhaps the most important � is to help the people they lead reach their full potential, and not to exploit those people for their own gain, to make themselves look good, or to advance their own careers. Ultimately, leadership is all about trust. The best leaders demonstrate trust in those around them, which is the opposite of control because it involves a great deal of letting go and no small amount of self-effacement . . . which brings us back to humility. Great leaders are also trustworthy, meaning that they tell the truth, do what they say they�re going to do, and can be counted on to go to the mat in defense of what they believe is right. Control tends to be cynical, calculating, and inconsistent.

The great paradox of leadership is that, by letting go, administrators ultimately achieve some measure of control over their circumstances, together with their colleagues; whereas, by attempting to clamp down, they merely invite passive aggressive resistance, if not outright mutiny, which in the end leads to chaos. This is a true and time-honored principle that all great leaders understand intuitively, and one that control freaks can never seem to grasp.

mesquite

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left ABP because of management change. From an approachable interim manager to someone full of himself who proceeded to belittle people and give them the heebie-jeebies was just too much for me.
ABP had (& still has) some very good people who keep the whole thing going. A guy who toots his own horn will never engender loyalty. A guy who gets rid of competition to make himself big will always be small-minded.

Off to glorious golden Oman tomorrow! Yippee!
Redcar24

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad

Yep! It seems when people can get away with it they do!

You should see the moral of where I am working yuk!
JoeRomano

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bullies that I knew all got promoted and/or went on to get better jobs with higher-sounding titles. I just looked on Facebook and they have been doing very well. Many people below them hated them but the management above loved them. Hence- promotions and a successful career. Lots of money, too.
topshop

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:00 am    Post subject: bully managers in qatar Reply with quote

I think anyone thinking of coming to Qatar should be aware that if their manager is a local they will be bullied also HR will never do anything about it

think hard before coming here
mesquite

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeRomano wrote:
The bullies that I knew all got promoted and/or went on to get better jobs with higher-sounding titles. I just looked on Facebook and they have been doing very well. Many people below them hated them but the management above loved them. Hence- promotions and a successful career. Lots of money, too.
Too right. Back here for an Eid visit and see things haven't changed much, One of the nastiest and most self-promoting tootsies got herself a job at VCU. An expert at using people and getting her own way. Taking credit for other people's ideas. Yeah, what a way to go.

My memories are of good colleagues but rotten management.
battleshipb_b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: bully managers in qatar Reply with quote

topshop wrote:
I think anyone thinking of coming to Qatar should be aware that if their manager is a local they will be bullied also HR will never do anything about it

think hard before coming here

I totally disagree! That sounds very racist! I've worked with several Saudi managers and have always found them to be more considerate than many of my fellow Americans. Many Americans who end up in positions of authority in the Gulf and other countries think they are colonial masters who can guide the poor ignorant natives. What a mistake! Many of the 'natives' are better educated than the Americans they import. Many expats who have had the opportunity to work with locals might agree. Notice that most of the bullies refered to on this topic are westerners. Bullying is a part of every culture; the west has started to recognize it for what it is - an ugly demonstration of an individuals insecurity and warped sense of superiority. Cybernet bullying has led to suicide as has workplace bullying. Bullies should be whacked with their their own whips. Down with bullies!

Time to head back to the Magic Kingdom. The mechanic says our car is read - we've got a long drive back - looking at four hours as it's Saturday night!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: