Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

questions, answer needed pls help
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stillafool

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

right, i understand that, but i thought that she might be able to get sponsored for a work visa after arriving. is this not possible?
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stillafool wrote:
right, i understand that, but i thought that she might be able to get sponsored for a work visa after arriving. is this not possible?

Yes it's possible. She'll probably have to exit for a short time to activate a work visa, could be just a day trip to Dubai. She will need to bring all her documents with her just in case, degree certificates, transcripts etc and may need to get them apostilled. This can be done in Oman.
stillafool

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's good to hear. thanks!
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stillafool wrote:
that's good to hear. thanks!

No problem. Be aware that your employer may remove some of the benefits that they may give to you as a married couple if she starts working. They will know because of the visa change.
stillafool

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any idea which benefits they might revoke? annual flight? insurance?

another question: can anyone give advice as to how much i could expect to earn on a first salary in oman? i've been offered a position with the college of arts and sciences at U of Nizwa (not the foundations institute). i think their offer is a bit low, but i'm not sure what to counter with. i have 11 years verifiable teaching experience with universities in korea (10 yrs) and afghanistan (1 yr) two of which are post MA. i have one publication pending and graduated with distinction. can anyone give me a ballpark figure regarding what i should reasonably expect? cheers
omanoman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If she gets her own work visa, the college won't know about that. why would they revoke any benefits? and what benefits are different from a single status compared to a married status (if they even offer married status visas) except the extra air ticket?

What is more likely is that she will be allowed to get a family visa under your work visa. The college may even ask that you pay for those expenses and the air ticket for her might not be part of the deal, better to be very clear about her status before you come.

Then, on a family visa, she can get work "under the table" which is very common and colleges, institutes are more than happy to do this, utilizing a teacher pretty much full time without any of the visa and benefits expenses.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

omanoman wrote:
If she gets her own work visa, the college won't know about that. why would they revoke any benefits? and what benefits are different from a single status compared to a married status (if they even offer married status visas) except the extra air ticket?
Yes, they will because the spouse visa that they are resonsible for will have to be cancelled before a work visa can be issued. Her employer would then become the sponsor and be responsible for things like flights.

What is more likely is that she will be allowed to get a family visa under your work visa. The college may even ask that you pay for those expenses and the air ticket for her might not be part of the deal, better to be very clear about her status before you come.

She wouldn't be able to work legally on a family visa. This is what the discussion is about, do try to keep up old boy.

Then, on a family visa, she can get work "under the table" which is very common and colleges, institutes are more than happy to do this, utilizing a teacher pretty much full time without any of the visa and benefits expenses.

True, but not to be encouraged.
stillafool

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers, guys. any info about a reasonable salary i could expect?
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stillafool wrote:
cheers, guys. any info about a reasonable salary i could expect?

It's very difficult to answer that as everybody has different interpretations of what is reasonable. I personally wouldn't work in Oman again for less than 1600 omr and even then only with with a lightish teaching load.
balqis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, MG, but, as you said, you worked for Hawthorn before MoHE, and Hawthorn never paid 1600! Then why give such unrealistic advice. And perhaps list here jobs in Oman that pay 1600. I myself would like to know.

balqis
omanoman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey MG, I'll do my best to keep up. Thanks for the encouragement.

The poster asked about his wife getting work after she is here, the assumption being that she would not be working at the same place as her husband, yes? If that was the case, why would he not be asking about jobs for them both at the same place? and about the potential for married status, family visa, larger housing allowance and so on. Indeed, try to keep up....

So, as is often the case, you're wrong and misleading again. There wouldn't be any change in benefits for the husband - that point was just left hanging there anyway and on the face of it, is a silly assumption. What would they take away from the husband? less housing? different medical coverage perhaps? makes no sense at all.
stillafool

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as for the wife, she has a lot of experience but it's all with young learners. and a bachelor's with tesl certification. i just assume she's probably not qualified for the position.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

balqis wrote:
Yes, MG, but, as you said, you worked for Hawthorn before MoHE, and Hawthorn never paid 1600! Then why give such unrealistic advice. And perhaps list here jobs in Oman that pay 1600. I myself would like to know.

balqis

MoHE pay 1600 for a Masters + 4 years post-Masters experience. Hawthorn were only paying me 1325 just before I transferred. My advice is not unrealistic, it's factual.
Chuma

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that 1600 include housing?
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuma wrote:
Does that 1600 include housing?

Yes you have to get your own but they give a soft loan of 1800 omr to help you furnish it. It's discounted at a rate of 25% p.a. so if you do 4 years it's written off. If they don't renew you it's also wrItten off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: