Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Petty crime and muggings in Santiago
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
matttheboy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonraven wrote:

WRONG. The areas of major cities with the most crime--all over Latin America, except for spots such as Quito where crime is in all areas of the city, are: the upper middle class areas (criminals are usually after MONEY, right--and they go where they think there is some) and the marginal areas where criminals prey on each other.

Even MORE WRONG.

There's crime in Santiago's prosperous areas for sure but that's exactly the same as in any city in the world, not just Latin America. Living in Providencia or Las Condes is far safer and the crime rate is far lower than in, for example, the centre and Bella Vista, to name but 2 poorer areas. Head into even poorer areas than these and the crime rate goes up again.

Same for Buenos Aires. The crime rate in Barrio Norte (upper middle class playground) is way lower than in La Boca, La Matanza and other western suburbs. The Northern Suburbs (which has shanty towns in pretty close proximity to the big houses full of rich people) are also safer than than the aforementioned areas.

Moonraven, you live in Mexico and have great experience and knowledge of that part of the world. You know nothing about living in Santiago or Buenos Aires (or anywhere in Chile or Argentina). Perhaps you could refrain from making unsubstantiated comments about places you don't know.
moonraven

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt:

You have no information about where I have lived in Latin America apart from what I have chosen to post on this forum. (Unless you work for the CIA, which I seriously doubt.) I have, as it turns out spent 4 different periods in South America. Being based in Mexico does not preclude travel to other countries.

I have also made a pretty solid study of crime patterns in Latin American cities. And they follow the model I have indicated.

One of the folks who provided input on the situation in Chile for me has a PhD, works as a researcher in a number of areas and has been based in Santiago for a number of years as he is married to a chilena and has 3 kids. I would take the word of a well-educated, well-published researcher over yours any day of the week. Sorry.

Not that it matters.
JonnytheMann

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:26 am    Post subject: I'm a Saggitarius ... and you are a Cancer. Reply with quote

moonraven wrote:
It is NOT arrogant to point out that your advice is based on zero experience. It IS arrogant to give advice as if it WERE based on experience, when it is not. It is also irresponsible--and some other newbie could make the mistake of thinking you were telling the truth. And THAT could lead to dangerous repercussions. Not for you, maybe. but for someone else.

I simply asked him if it were possible for him and his novia to get a place together in the safest part of town, but thanks for your gracious, informative post on safe neighborhoods in Santiago. You probably saved the lives of many newbies who might have died as a result of reading my dangerous, irresponsible, arrogant question.

So ... anyway ... Don, can you and your girlfriend get an apartment together in one of the safer parts of Santiago? (Newbies, please ignore this question as it may result in your untimely death.)

I guess my and my novio need to reorganize our plans based on this wisdom as well. Here I thought getting a place together in a upper-class Buenos Aires neighborhood would be a good idea, but I guess that's a death-wish. Rolling Eyes [/code]
JonnytheMann

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonraven wrote:
I have also made a pretty solid study of crime patterns in Latin American cities. And they follow the model I have indicated. One of the folks who provided input on the situation in Chile for me has a PhD, works as a researcher in a number of areas and has been based in Santiago for a number of years as he is married to a chilena and has 3 kids. I would take the word of a well-educated, well-published researcher over yours any day of the week. Sorry.

Rolling Eyes

It is amazing how every time you are corrected by someone, you come back with something like "I've done extensive research on this topic," "I am friends with an expert on this topic," "I translated a book on this topic into Spanish", or some other such made-up nonsense.

It's laughable that you aver that Santiago's richest neighborhoods are also among its most dangerous.
moonraven

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen, kid: I have been teaching and researching and writing books and articles on many subjects for a number of years. That's what professionals with PhDs are expected to do. And there are some professionals on this forum. You just aren't one of them.

Keep giving your silly "advice". And try getting both a boyfriend and an apartment in the most exclusive area of Buenos Aires for 500 bucks a month.
JonnytheMann

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Yawn .... Reply with quote

moonraven wrote:
And try getting both a boyfriend and an apartment in the most exclusive area of Buenos Aires for 500 bucks a month.

I never said I was going to live in the most exclusive part of Buenos Aires. I just said I was going to live in a nice neighborhood with little crime. There are plenty of nice apartments for $300/month in the safer parts of Buenos Aires. If my novio and I share the place, we shouldn't have any problem paying the rent. (By the way, I don't need to "get" a boyfriend as I already have one.)

I find it laughable that you are criticizing my advice. I tell Don to think about getting an apartment in a safer part of Santiago, to think about sharing an apartment with his girlfriend to cut down on costs, to think about moving with his girlfriend to a safer part of Chile, etc. You tell him to dump his girl (as there are plenty of fish in the sea), to flee Chile ASAP, and to consult an absurd astrology website. It's sad how little wisdom your many, many years of research & study have brought you. Love is worth many sacrifices.

P.S. I still don't believe everything you say about what you've researched and written. I think you make things up and embellish whenever it's convenient so that you can look like an expert in every "discussion" you're a part of.
moonraven

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have to make up anything. Not everyone who posts on this site is an undereducated person with no academic history. I simply do not participate in discussions about topics which I know nothing about. If others on this site did the same, this site would be an actual resource, instead of the "advice to the lovelorn" column you are trying to turn it into. Love is not worth any sacrifice--it's everywhere around us, and if we can't get it it's because we aren't doing the right thing.

And I notice that YOU raced right over to that "absurd astrology website". The ink had not even dried on my post! Hypocrite.

P.S. I am also personally tired of hearing about your boyfriend--and would say the same thing to you if you were a female who smeared her hormones all over every post she wrote.
JonnytheMann

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Moonie,

I went to the astrology website for fun, not to make major life decisions (as you were recommending to the OP). So sue me. I think astrology is bull, but it's still fun.

How am I undereducated at age 23? I have a Bachelor's and half a Masters. Anyway .... I still don't believe everything you write. I think you're a bender of the truth.

You think love is not worth any sacrifice and that's why you're a lonely, angry woman who's only joy in life is putting others down on message boards. You just told the OP to leave the woman he loves just because he doesn't like Santiago. What horrendous "advice"!

I'm not sure how I'm smearing my hormones everywhere just stating that my boyfriend and I could easily afford a safe neighborhood in BA, Arg, even if I am on an EFL teacher's salary. I think it was an appropriate mention of him. I can see it probably would make you upset to hear about the fact that I *do* have a Latin boyfriend considering how it's been several decades since ... well, nevermind ... Confused
moonraven

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several decades, my butt! I am at the furthest possible distance from being lonely--ever. I have an extended "family" all over this hemisphere--of which former and current lovers are part. I also do not believe in monogamy--that's another crock.

Folks a heck of a lot more intelligent than you--or even me, for that matter--believe in astrology.

I put my money where my mouth is (beliefs are). I have what you would call a "boyfriend" in Caracas, Venezuela. Caracas is on one of my Saturn lines--so I only visit there for a week at a time. Which is just fine. A week at a time visit a couple of times a year is as much as anyone merits.

I don't live in someone's pocket, and sure as heck don't want someone living in mine.
matttheboy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's any of this got to do with living in Santiago? Moonraven: you know nothing about living there. Jonny: it's just not worth it.
moonraven

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least I have BEEN there--which is all you have done, also..

The "advice to the lovelorn and to let in Santiago" columnist has not even done that!

It's kind of moot, as next week I will be starting a consultiing project in Jordan--and of course I will expect both of you guys to be giving me lots of info on crime and nice neighborhoods in both Jordan and Bahrain.
JonnytheMann

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonraven wrote:
I also do not believe in monogamy--that's another crock ... a week at a time visit a couple of times a year is as much as anyone merits.

Honestly, that is so tragic.

Quote:
Folks a heck of a lot more intelligent than you believe in astrology.

Yawn. Intelligent people used to believe that the world was flat, that the Earth was the center of the universe, and that Rock Hudson was straight. Laughing
moonraven

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am talking about in THIS century.

Nothing sad at all about setting boundaries.

If you make it to my age, you may want to set some, too. Too much of anything or anybody gets to be a real drag. And despite what they tell you in the movie magazines, proximity does not produce rosy contentment--it brings out the worst in both parties.
JonnytheMann

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonraven wrote:
Despite what they tell you in the movie magazines, proximity does not produce rosy contentment--it brings out the worst in both parties.

And here I thought People Magazine and Entertainment Weekly were the best source for relationship advice. Laughing

Honestly, ever since Brad and Jennifer split up, I've lost my faith in true love. Wink

What is Angelina Jolie going to do next? Break up the Olsen twins?
matttheboy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonraven wrote:
At least I have BEEN there--which is all you have done, also..

The "advice to the lovelorn and to let in Santiago" columnist has not even done that!

It's kind of moot, as next week I will be starting a consultiing project in Jordan--and of course I will expect both of you guys to be giving me lots of info on crime and nice neighborhoods in both Jordan and Bahrain.

Nope. WRONG (i like this shouting thing, learned it from someone) again. I lived there for 4 months last year.

I have BEEN to Bangkok. I have BEEN to Melbourne. I have BEEN to many places but i would never give advice about living in these places as i have never lived in them. There's some advice for you.

A request: Please stop clogging up this thread with pointless and deliberately provocative posts. Many thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: