Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

movies in english
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
grahamb

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject: No smoke without fire Reply with quote

Lozwich, were you referring to the King's Cross fire of 1987? Smoking was banned some years before the fire, which started in the machinery below an escalator. Nasty business.
Smoking is indeed forbidden on the Madrid Metro, but in my time there I never saw the ban being enforced. Ignoring regulations seems to be part of Spanish culture. They may as well remove the "Do not feed the animals" signs in the zoo, because adults and children take great delight in throwing nuts and whatever else to the inmates. Then there's the carnage on the roads every weekend... but don't get me started on that one.
lozwich

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: No smoke without fire Reply with quote

grahamb wrote:
Lozwich, were you referring to the King's Cross fire of 1987?

Yes, now that you say it, I was. Australians were generally horrified by it. Like I said, it was about 8,000 years ago, and I was far too obsessed with day glo colors and shoulder pads to think about it too much, except that when I got my first job in the big city a year later and was a confirmed cigarette-head, I was a bit miffed that I couldn't light up while I was waiting for the train to get home.. Crying or Very sad

From the other things you've said in this and earlier posts, it sounds like you don't like Spaniards very much. Is that true?

Have a good day,
Lozwich.
Mouse

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The smoking is one of the things that I like least about the Mediterranean. Someone once likened it to eating chocolate cakes, as both were bad for your health, and I told him, "If I pushed my chocolate cake down your throat and smeared it over your clothes so that you stank of it, I suppose it would be..." Smile We agreed to disagree.
lozwich

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouse, what is this bizarre food fight thing you're on today??

First the king of Spain, and now some poor unsuspecting nicotine addict! Wink

BTW, tomorrow I'm off to Mexico City, where I have found out they sell chocolate from EUROPE!! Dark chocolate, milk chocolate, chocolate with things in it!

Oh happy day!
grahamb

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 9:15 am    Post subject: Throwing a Spaniard in the works Reply with quote

Despite my constant moaning, Lozwich, I have no axe to grind with the Spanish. Their fondness for driving fast without seatbelts does perplex me, however. Spanish road death statistics are frightening. I believe the Portuguese and Greeks are equally crazy behind the wheel.
So, 1987 was 8000 years ago, eh? You young whippersnapper!
Mouse

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lozwich wrote:
Mouse, what is this bizarre food fight thing you're on today??

Not quite sure, actually... it was a weird coincidence, I think. If I had to choose one, it would have been the King of Spain. Ah, imagine the expression on his face: priceless!

And I quite agree with you grahamb, and furthermore, would like to add the Italians to your list of crazed motorists (as if it even needed to be said). Mind you, the Catalans may be awful drivers (and their parking!), but when it comes to motorbikes they're pretty awesome... they'd have to be considering the drivers, I suppose.
anthyp

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the Chinese would give both the Italians and the Spaniards a run for their money in the crazy driving department. Have you all noticed how active the Spain forum has been lately? Quite a change from just a few weeks ago. I blame the inanity of our posts, and chocolate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
lozwich

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grahamb wrote:
So, 1987 was 8000 years ago, eh? You young whippersnapper!

Well, it was wasn't it?? Almost 20 years ago!!! Shocked And some people on this forum (hi anthyp!!) were only just around then!

anthyp wrote:
Have you all noticed how active the Spain forum has been lately? Quite a change from just a few weeks ago. I blame the inanity of our posts, and chocolate.

In two hours I'm going to Sanborns, I'm going to Sanborns, I'm going to Sanborns!!! (oh, that means in two hours I'll be sauntering through Mexico City eating Chocolate!!!) And that's after I've bought my new shoes!

Oh, sorry, was that too inane??

Very Happy
grahamb

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 8:45 am    Post subject: Respect for your elders Reply with quote

Hey, Lozwich, enjoy your youth while you can because middle age soon catches up! All those wrinkles, grey hairs etc.
lozwich

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey GB,

I'm sure my 90 year old grandmother would disagree with you! She's got white hair, wrinkles on her wrinkles, a broken achilles tendon that's been like that for at least the last 12 years, but goes overseas at least 3 times a year, by herself! She always wants to come travelling with me, and is a big part of my decision to move closer to old blighty.

I plan on continuing to enjoy my (relative) youth, middle age, and golden years until I get run over by a bus while rollerblading at the age of 87! Wink

Have a great day!

Lozwich.
anthyp

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who the hell are the newbies posting in this forum? They all sound so preppy and cheery. Bring back the days of peace and quiet, I say. Long live Mouse and Lozwich!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
lozwich

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw shucks, thanks anthyp! Wink

I was wondering who they are too, but the more the merrier I reckon, especially since Mouse seems to have largely disappeared these days (maybe we asked him too many questions???) and I've got a rather spectacular case of the grumps thanks to being a bit sick, and fed up with having to wait another 7 whole weeks before I can get out of this god-forsaken hellhole...

Evil or Very Mad

But have a great day and all that...

Lozwich.
Mouse

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Who the hell are the newbies posting in this forum? They all sound so preppy and cheery. Bring back the days of peace and quiet, I say. Long live Mouse and Lozwich!

Should I take this to mean that I don't sound preppy and cheery? Shocked Well, that's my self-image shot down in flames! Having said that, 'Long live Anthyp', too! You may be in China, but you are an honourary Spain poster (although really you need to grumble more about their roads).

Quote:
... especially since Mouse seems to have largely disappeared these days...

Just too busy having food-fights with random people, y'know. Cool Actually, I'm still here (obviously), lurking, as quiet as a... well, as myself... I got a bit worried when I looked down the topics list and found that the last poster on almost all of the posts was this no-life weirdo called 'Mouse'.

Regarding your illness, Lozwich, is it fair to point out that you said 'Off to buy European chocolate, yay!' and the next time you post, you've been unwell. Coincidence?

As for all of these newbies (including the Italians and Ukers who've wandered over to this benighted forum) it's good to see them, but why do most people post once or twice... and then never again. Could it be... *gasp* that the Spain forum is boring? Shocked Say it isn't so!
lozwich

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouse wrote:
Actually, I'm still here (obviously), lurking, as quiet as a... well, as myself... I got a bit worried when I looked down the topics list and found that the last poster on almost all of the posts was this no-life weirdo called 'Mouse'.

Mouse, if you're lurking, it still means you have an unhealthy Dave's addiction.... Twisted Evil

Quote:
Regarding your illness, Lozwich, is it fair to point out that you said 'Off to buy European chocolate, yay!' and the next time you post, you've been unwell. Coincidence?

Ah, well, in so much as there's no such thing as coincidence, no. Unfortunately I have this *problem* that means the crap food in Mexico (no matter what anyone thinks, its nothing like the Tex-Mex you get in your local Mexican restaurant back home) sets off something that I've been suffering with for about, oh, 20 years. That and all the fast living I've been doing here in Excitementville... Wink

Quote:
As for all of these newbies (including the Italians and Ukers who've wandered over to this benighted forum) it's good to see them, but why do most people post once or twice... and then never again. Could it be... *gasp* that the Spain forum is boring? Shocked Say it isn't so!

Ok. It isn't so. *yawn* Laughing

Loz.
Mouse

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mouse, if you're lurking, it still means you have an unhealthy Dave's addiction...

Ah. Confused Well, I don't suppose I can really argue with that. I have email access at work and tend to check in and have a quick look at the Cafe most days. Whether I have time to reply to posts is another thing entirely.

Quote:
... the crap food in Mexico sets off something that I've been suffering with for about, oh, 20 years.

Hold on. Does that mean any crap food, or just crap Mexican food? (What is life without crap food?)

Quote:
That and all the fast living I've been doing here in Excitementville...

And you think that's going to improve when you get to Spain?! Ha!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: