Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ctesl V tesol...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MysteryGirl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: ctesl V tesol... Reply with quote

hello, i'm a real newbie in this forum and have a question to ask.
They are offering Ctesl in my university.... but i heard from others that its better to have the global tesol instead...
what is the different.. and which would be better to get if i want to go teach in korea?? and also i have a B.A with me.. but wanted a degreee also..
the thing is Ctesl will take me about 6 months at the university.. but the global tesol will only take me about 1 week or more.. which is better and which is more useful? please help me..thanks alot
ls650

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have PM'ed you a site that has a good FAQ that answers your questions...
Scott in HK

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A one week course is worth absolutely nothing to you...especially in Korea....

It won't get you any better jobs...you B.A will get you the job...

It won't teach you anything about teaching that you couldn't learn by spending a week in the library reading about ESL...probably will learn more in the library...

And it won't teach anything about getting jobs that you can't learn on this board...

Week course....complete waste of your money...it doesn't matter who offers it...

The only reason to take one would be that the school you want to work for demands one but don't really care about the quality...

I don't know about the other course...but a six month course sounds like it could be very useful...especially if it has some practice teaching...
ebritton

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your univesity course might be a great option - it might include significant time with an instructor and practice time.

If you go the Global Tesol route, I'd suggest one of the diploma programs (360 or 600 hours) with a 60 hour practicum, and doing at least the foundations course in class.

Another really good option for you might be a CELTA - 4 weeks long and lots of attention from an instructor and practice teaching.

A one week course might be OK for 'back-packer' jobs, but personally I wouldn't be comfortable with a one week course. This is going to be your security in a different country, and often your learners pay hard-to-come-by money for your instruction.
GambateBingBangBOOM

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: ctesl V tesol... Reply with quote

MysteryGirl wrote:
hello, i'm a real newbie in this forum and have a question to ask.
They are offering Ctesl in my university.... but i heard from others that its better to have the global tesol instead...
what is the different.. and which would be better to get if i want to go teach in korea?? and also i have a B.A with me.. but wanted a degreee also..
the thing is Ctesl will take me about 6 months at the university.. but the global tesol will only take me about 1 week or more.. which is better and which is more useful? please help me..thanks alot

Six months at a university would cost about the same as a week with Global (give or take a bit). You're in university now so you know the amount of information you can get from lectures etc. in a single term course. Your university CTESL may be enough to teach in Canada. Global definately isn't (well, that's not entirely true, you may be able to get a job in Canada with Global, but not certified by TESL Canada, but then that's not really the point of Global, as far as I know). Your university CTESL programme probably requires a university degree or to be concurrently enrolled in a university degree. This is because absorbing the amount and kind of information at university requires a certain mindset (that, IMO, is the point of univerisity- teaching you how to think in the way required by universities- and BELIEVE ME if you're out of it for a while it takes a bit of adjusting to get back into that type of thought process). Global will take you if you can pay them.

You get what you pay for. But you pay for things with time and effort as much or moreso than with money.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: