Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jobs in The UAE with a Celta.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hnf2780

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Jobs in The UAE with a Celta. Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I have over eight years experience teaching in Japan and China to students of all ages. I taught at the university level too for about two years although they were not majoring in English. I am taking a CELTA course in March finally. What are my chances for decent employment in The Emirates once I have that CELTA? Thank you.
Eisenhorn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a very limited market, and in fact it would probably be in your better interests to stay in China and Japan after you get a CELTA, possibly get a DELTA or an MA in applied linguistics.

Most of the top schools require a minimum of a CELTA and 3 years of teaching experience after you have gotten your CELTA. With only a CELTA, you would need something which sets you aside, something specific like extensive writing, academic writing experience.

The UAE isn't a giant ATM with $$$. YOu need the MA if you want a decent job.
hnf2780

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. How about other countries there? I`ve seen jobs in Oman and Saudi that require a celta. Don`t want to move to Saudi though. I am doing my Celta in Prague and would definitely consider going back to China or Japan.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hnf2780 wrote:
How about other countries there? I`ve seen jobs in Oman and Saudi that require a celta. Don`t want to move to Saudi though.

You'll run into the same issue of not having post-TEFL cert teaching experience. Additionally, more employers are also requiring your degree (preferably an MA) be related to TEFL, linguistics, or English.
Eisenhorn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HNF... why would you give up Japan/China for the sterile environment of the gulf? (oh... the big ATM, make the big bucks quick... which doesn't exist anymore w/out the qualificaitons.... either lots of experience and a CELTA or a MA and 3 years experience)

Stay in Japan/China and get the experience.
hnf2780

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am currently back in the U.S. I would go back to Japan or Shanghai in a second but similar situation with jobs there too I think. You won`t make decent money in Japan unless you have a masters or maybe a CELTA and it is far from affordable there( I was there seven years and didn`t save anything but had a great life). I imagine the U.A.E. is expensive too from what I have heard. I am interested in the Middle East though. Maybe in a few years time. Thanks for the info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: