Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Job Placement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Here are regions where recruiters/placement agencies are usually NOT legtimate!!l
China
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Korea
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Middle East
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Europe (west/central)
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Europe (eastern)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Japan
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Thailand
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Vietnam
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject: Job Placement Reply with quote

In my personal experience (15 years in Europe and North America), below is what I see as the truth about 'job placement' and 'job placement assistance' schemes.

Basically, it's all a myth.

Being as how I'm not the sort of minor god who dares to imagine that my personal experience reflects the whole world of TEFL, the question: anyone know of any actual legit 'job placement' schemes out there?

This ties into the issue of 'recruiter' as well. I believe that such organizations exist in the Middle East, though I haven't heard of them elsewhere. I gather that they're dodgy and preferably to be avoided in the ME.

My take (from a thread on the General Discussion forum, in response to a question about such an offer):

These days, pretty much any time you see the words 'job placement' in this industry, it's either misleading or an outright scam.

TEFL cert providers used to (some still do) use this language to get people to sign up for their course as opposed to others, but the 'job placement assistance' was almost never anything more than giving grads lists of employers. TEFL grads were still responsible for contacting employers, arranging and going to interviews, doing demo lessons, negotiating contracts....all the normal real-world job search stuff.

In my experience, the same is true of companies outside of training centres offering 'job placement'; it's always misleading-to-outright scam, and newbies are better off on their own.

The idea that some company has a list of employers just waiting to unquestioningly embrace their clients without all of the above normal process of selection is a MYTH

Last edited by spiral78 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:25 am; edited 3 times in total
tttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are almost a requirement in places like Korea and China.

- A large number of employers use the services of a "recruitment agency / recruiter (head hunter to those used to professional business environments in the west) to locate, screen (ensure they meet the legal requirements of the job) and place teachers.

They are best avoided in Thailand and other regions of SE Asia.

- They typically are little more than "dispatch agencies" to hire the staff, get paid by the employer and then pay the staff from that with an often sizable chunk taken out for their own profit. They tend to be dodgy, have major issues with visas/work and other permits and pay issues.

At least in both of those cases they do not sell anything to the prospective employee nor do they charge the employee a fee for their services; they are paid by the employer.

In North America (or any place else on the planet from my personal experience), any place that charges the prospective employee a fee for assisting in their job search is little more than a scam that is best to be avoided.

I also don't think very highly of EFL/ESL training facilities whose web pages look more like a travel brochure with promises of "teach and travel" as their prime selling point and "Job Placement" thrown in as an "EXTRA bonus".

spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I will try to throw in a poll option to reflect where recruiters/agencies are usually legit....I'll be happy to modify what may be a sloppy list upon receiving suggestions!
Glenski

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't click if they are NOT legit?

So, what happens if nobody from that country comes along? It will have no clicks, and you will think they are not legit. Change the format of the poll to "click if they are not legit".
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Change the format of the poll to "click if they are not legit".

Check:-)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: