Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to Start Out
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the work detailed on my resume is seasonal, and as a result doesnt count as continued employment. Some of it is also in-between contracts I have had in China.

As a result I list that job as being:

XXXXXXX position. June 2008 - Present.

This is my 5th year in a seasonal teaching role, and I have been employed to teach classes in-between periods of study and working contracts abroad.

I personally think a listing like that 'reads' better than the same job entered several times with different dates.

My TEFL qualification is listed above my other qualifications. It may be considered of more relevance than a higher level qualification that is totally unrelated to what you are applying for. Even if its a crappy course you can add something to it with a sentence or two.

During this course I learnt the importance of, and skills involved, with lesson planning and class interaction patterns. I also used this course to improve my language awareness and have developed some useful ideas about building rapport with my students. [/b]
mcloo7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a good idea about the the seasonal job. I listed the job once on the resume and wrote all the different dates that I worked it. For me, it hasnt been exactly seasonal, although I could consider it that, the only problem is if you look at my resume, thats the only thing Ive done consistently-- it doesnt look like I have a career besides that, where you could consider that merely seasonal work.

Can someone please name the documents that I have to scan. I just scanned my TEFL cert (not sure if I had to though). I'm thinking college diploma, a passport page (the one with my picture?), is there anything else? Thanks.
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got scanned copies of passport info page, diploma, transcripts (not usually necessary though), past recommendation letters, and a couple of other certs (that noone has ever asked for).
mcloo7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Javelin of Radiance wrote:
I've got scanned copies of passport info page, diploma, transcripts (not usually necessary though), past recommendation letters, and a couple of other certs (that noone has ever asked for).

Thanks. Is it really important to tape over your passport number, and DOB before you scan it?
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcloo7 wrote:
Javelin of Radiance wrote:

Thanks. Is it really important to tape over your passport number, and DOB before you scan it?

I never did. If you want the job the school has to be able to see all the details so they can get you the papers for the visa. If you've blacked anything out you'll be scanning it again. I suppose if you're worried you could scan it twice, once with a few details blacked out and once with all the details visible. You could use the first scan in the job hunting phase where you're sending your documents to many schools, and once a school has decided to hire you then you could send them the scan with full details. What I wouldn't do is what I've seen done on some esl job sites, people posting their passport online alongside their resume for the whole world to see.
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Im with JoR. Ive never blacked out details on my passport scan.

Back to the resume and cover letter ... just remember to grade your language and keep it simple and concise. The person reading it probably wont be a native speaker and so writing long winded and / or technical stuff is a bad move.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you're putting your PP scan up on a job site that multiple unknown people can access, then taping is advisable.
If you are only dealing direct with employers you select, then I wouldn't bother.
As I do both, I use the taped version for all purposes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: