Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

From Russia to Spain

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kidTEFL

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: From Russia to Spain Reply with quote

Hey,

I'm just wondering if anyone out there has made the transition from Russia to Italy.

I've spent a good few years in Eastern Europe, but now I want to swap the snow for the sunshine.

Ideally, I'd like to get away from the city and to a small seaside town somewhere.

I imagine the two countries are worlds apart, and was hoping to find a bit of advice from those you made the change.

I have a decision to make very soon, and right now, I have no idea what I'm going to do.

Cheers
KidTEFL
jonniboy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going to Italy or to Spain (since you've posted your q in the Spain forum?) I made a similar move for the 2011-2012 year, going from Riga Latvia to Valencia. There are big pluses and minuses both ways. From a lifestyle perspective, Spain is much better, food, weather, festivals, beaches etc. However I really missed the work situation that I had. In Riga I'd mostly adult classes, dedicated students who wanted to learn, with a handful of polite, respectful teens. There was also work all year round and a good market for private classes.

Spain meant mostly being a glorified childminder, trying to keep 6-9 year olds entertained and also dealing with spoilt, snotty teens who were usually very difficult to please. The adults were a mix but overall I found them less motivated than in the east. For example, I'd a beginner group for the whole academic year. That simply wouldn't happen in Riga, as people want and need to progress much more quickly.
kidTEFL

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm swaying more to Italy than Spain.

The people, students and workplace are all pretty cool here. I get left alone when planning, though, the school I work for uses their own materials, which can lead you to topping yourself if only used.

I would like a bit of sunshine. Good-bye massive coat, hello shorts and t-shirt.

Children really aren't my bag and I hope to avoid at all costs.

I can just imagine the change being very big.

You mentioned food, weather, festivals, beaches etc - On paper this wins hands down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: