Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What would you do
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lancy Bloom

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are the recruiting company trollers who usually chastize people like this for not being worthy of teaching English in China? I find this thread unusual with no rebuttals
mambawamba

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, sounds like you're getting yourself sorted out.

Very quick turnaround too from this morning. It seems like you might have posted here to have some validation of the flit when it was already organised. Which is fine because we all need moral support!

Just be careful about your next move because your visa is still tied to the school, you can't just waltz off and go to another city and start another job, way naughty!

This does sound very similar to the whole Qingdao story. You have to ask yourself whether you want to name and shame though, other people are probably going find themselves in the same situation.

Quite frankly why on earth did you think your embassy would be able to help? You are a pebble on the beach, they gave you the best advice and now you are following it.

Just to clarify to people who may be in the same situation as [b]nonomi[/b].

All jobs are fluid in China because there are so many planning, timetabling issues that come up. You may be pulled away from one project to work on another or have to work off site in businesses or share an apartment when you thought you'd be housed alone or work longer hours (which should be compensated as per overtime rates in your contract - if you signed a contract with no overtime agreement then well, nuff said), these things happen. Your visa is tied to that job, that is why they [b]sponsor[/b] you, you cannot work for anyone else. You can leave and get a new job from outside China or look for another job get a release letter and move within China.

[b]BUT[/b] you are never expected to put up with the situation which [b]nonomi[/b] has found herself in. If you are being kept a virtual house prisoner then there is something seriously wrong, get out. If you in any kind of physical danger or are feel threatened then get out.

If the situation is negotiable then bloody well negoiate, too many people just put up with low wages, long hours and bad accommodation then complain.

Seriously good luck.

China I love, scummy schools I hate, but unfortunately there's scummy schools worldwide.

Mamba

Last edited by mambawamba on Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:11 am; edited 1 time in total
choudoufu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerwilco wrote:
Your story seems very familiar. Maybe another member can remember which previous thread stated the same scenario.

you might be referring to this: Total bait and switch

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=98609

and: Deceived, Manipulated, and Frightened

http://middlekingdomlife.com/guide/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=519&p=1795&sid=6019875ada24c8735bacc48d8bd4fee7#p1795

"Long story short, I accepted a job online to work in a private school. When I got here, everything was totally different than what they had promised.

I was living with the woman who owns the school, along with her family. Instead of working at the school, they asked me to stay at their home and teach their preschool age children, everyday, for six hours. I actually went along with this for a while because they kept telling me (now I know it was lies) that the school was closing, on and off, due to this problem or that.

Meanwhile other family members (children) would randomly appear for one-on-one lessons with me. They gave me no books, no white board, no proper desks etc., just a couch and a table (their living room) and I was supposed to make magic happen under these strange conditions for hours at a time, day after day..."
mambawamba

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the one [b]choudoufu[/b], were there others before?

Mamba
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: