Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SaypU: a universal phonetic alphabet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: SaypU: a universal phonetic alphabet Reply with quote

SaypU = "Spell as you pronounce Universal"

The Times newspaper had a leader and article ('Learning a new language? It's as easy as ABK') about this yesterday (Mon 14th Jan), which is how I became aware of it. (They got the Spell wrong, as Say instead, however).

I don't think the full Times articles are available online (unless you subscribe), but you can find short articles like the following easily enough:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/saypu-project-spell-pronounce-universal-151500683.html

From a cursory glance, it seems as if the guy who invented it is basically doing a bit of a phonemic inventory~IPA, but using existing letters rather than specialized symbols (save for the introduction of the schwa symbol).

Anyway, here's the project's actual website:
http://saypu.com/
golsa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just use the IPA?
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed (for TEFL purposes). But at least a scheme like SaypU would, with the exception of the schwa, be easy to type on standard keyboards were it ever officially introduced. (I'm not proselytizing for it though. I just found it interesting).
Ixchel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: SaypU: a universal phonetic alphabet Reply with quote

fluffyhamster wrote:

The Times newspaper had a leader and article ('Learning a new language? It's as easy as ABK') about this yesterday (Mon 14th Jan), which is how I became aware of it. (They got the Spell wrong, as Say instead, however).

I don't think the full Times articles are available online (unless you subscribe), but you can find short articles like the following easily enough:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/saypu-project-spell-pronounce-universal-151500683.html

From a cursory glance, it seems as if the guy who invented it is basically doing a bit of a phonemic inventory~IPA, but using existing letters rather than specialized symbols (save for the introduction of the schwa symbol).

Ah tryd to reed it but cudnt git the jist of the artikl.
Here's an interesting thing I learned after 24 years of teaching small children to read in two different languages.
The brain understands spelling fairly quickly. For example very young children know that "shun" is spelled "tion" and somehow they know when to write "f" and when to write "ph." It's not as difficult as it seems unless you have either a learning disability OR poor visual memory.

Having a universal phonetic language would be impossible with local dialects. This week I watched a video on a language/dialect called Boontling which comes from my home state of California.

Ok, whatever. But what struck me was that the old men they interviewed spoke with a distinct drawl very different from my speech. I was fascinated by the different pronunciation in my own region. A couple of times I had to listen very hard to understand what they were saying.

I'm a fan of the IPA myself.
Ixchel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: SaypU: a universal phonetic alphabet Reply with quote

fluffyhamster wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: