Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Open air silver market in DF

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ixchel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Open air silver market in DF Reply with quote

Hi,
I haven't been to Mexico City in 100 years. Well, almost. But I was still wondering if the silver market is still there. It was enormous. Table after table with silver jewelry.
How are the prices now? If it's still there.
Where is it exactly?
Thanks
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Open air silver market in DF Reply with quote

Ixchel wrote:
Hi,
I haven't been to Mexico City in 100 years. Well, almost. But I was still wondering if the silver market is still there. It was enormous. Table after table with silver jewelry.
How are the prices now? If it's still there.
Where is it exactly?
Thanks

There's lots of silver jewelry for sale at various venues in Mexico City, but I've never run across an open-air market like you describe. Where was it located?
Phil_K

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a 2-3 hour trip down to Taxco, the silver capital of Mexico!
Ixchel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The prices were much cheaper than Taxco. I can't remember the name, I'll have to ask someone here but it was like half a city block and I remember colorful murals (that's unusual in Mexico I know Very Happy )
I can never remember the name of the open air market a few hours outside Guadalajara either (it's a couple of times a week and has everything) but people here always give me the name so maybe someone knows what I'm talking about.
DebMer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be Balderas Market?
Ixchel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DebMer wrote:

It could be, is that Ciudadela (?) have you been there? I insanely love Mexican silver and regional handwork. At the time it wasn't a flea market but a handicraft market.
MotherF

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go to Taxco on Market day, the prices are much much cheaper than in the fixed stores there.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ixchel wrote:
DebMer wrote:

It could be, is that Ciudadela (?) have you been there? I insanely love Mexican silver and regional handwork. At the time it wasn't a flea market but a handicraft market.

The Ciudadela artesan�as market is near the Balderas Metro station. It's not an open-air market, though the way it's built is somewhat open to the sun and sky. Silver is sold there, along with all other manner of typical Mexican handicrafts.
DebMer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ixchel wrote:
DebMer wrote:

Yes! I didn't remember the name, as I always used to call it by the nearest Metro station name. Ha!
Ixchel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the place. Thanks everyone. I'm planning on making a trip just to visit there. I normally don't like big cities but I love Mexico City.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ixchel wrote:
That's the place. Thanks everyone. I'm planning on making a trip just to visit there. I normally don't like big cities but I love Mexico City.

That's a pretty good spot, though I find prices touristy (can't think of an alternative in DF though) Silver prices as a metal have gone up a lot in the last year so you might find prices quite different from what you saw in the past.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Guy, I think the prices are double what you�d pay in other parts of the city. The advantage is that you can find pretty much anything you want under one roof. There is a good variety of silver and the prices aren�t horrible, but I think they are about double what you�d p�y in Taxco, based on my experience buying in both places. I can�t think of an alternative for silver either in Mexico City, but if you are interested in other things, shawls, chess sets, etc. let me know and I can give you some great places to buy those things at far lower prices.
Ixchel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
I agree with Guy, I think the prices are double what you�d pay in other parts of the city. The advantage is that you can find pretty much anything you want under one roof. There is a good variety of silver and the prices aren�t horrible, but I think they are about double what you�d p�y in Taxco, based on my experience buying in both places. I can�t think of an alternative for silver either in Mexico City, but if you are interested in other things, shawls, chess sets, etc. let me know and I can give you some great places to buy those things at far lower prices.

I only want silver and dresses and women's tops. There's a designer in Oaxaca who mixes traditional with modern design to make gorgeous clothes. But I'm not going to Oaxaca. I want cheap dresses/tops and can't remember the state where the embroidery comes from (the little people embroidered within the design)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: