Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IELTS pay?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: IELTS pay? Reply with quote

Can someone tell me what the going rate is for being an IELTS examiner? How much can you make in a weekend?
Thanks
igorG

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple years ago, i recall it was 300 quai an hour (no tax). How much one can make is up to a few factors; one is the amount of work an examiner is offered, and one the examiner's willingness to travel to other locations. Note that if the BC (in China) is satisfied with the examiner's evaluation of examinees, more work is possible. However, if the examiner does not toe the line, s/he will have reduced the opportunities then. But i bet the OP knows all that.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thanks, that helps. I did FCE and CAE before and we were paid per student. 300 an hour sounds nice. Does the same hold true for writing?
YankeeDoodleDandy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: IELTS Reply with quote

Two years ago I met two IELTS examiners and their pay was 400 RMB per hour and they put you up at a 5 star hotel. I believe that all of the writing is corrected in GZ. They have rubrics that they follow pretty closely and the scoring seems to be a little low. The spoken part of an English exam lasts 11 to 14 minutes, depending upon the number of students.
yaramaz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Two years ago I met two IELTS examiners and their pay was 400 RMB per hour and they put you up at a 5 star hotel. I believe that all of the writing is corrected in GZ. They have rubrics that they follow pretty closely and the scoring seems to be a little low. The spoken part of an English exam lasts 11 to 14 minutes, depending upon the number of students.

I've been doing it for 3 years here and it's been about 105rmb/interview with 3 interviews scheduled per hour (so, 315ish rmb). If you travel, you get an extra chunk of money for going away (like 500 or so for a weekend) and they cover the hotel and transport. Hotels are very nice- Sofitel Sheraton, Hilton, etc.

There are 4 regions in China and the Northern one is the biggest, based out of Beijing. Sometimes when the different offices are short staffed we're flown out to cover (I've covered for the GZ and BJ regions a few times) but generally each has its own crew of regular examiners to do the testing. The writing is generally marked at the head office for the region- BJ, Shanghai, GZ, Chongqing.
yaramaz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and writing is paid per script (which includes 2 essays) so the hourly rate depends on how fast you are.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, thanks so much. What's the pay for writing incidentially?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I guess you can make an extra 3000 yuan a weekend doing speaking.
50 yuan per essay and you do 30-40 per week for 3 weeks a month.

Which means if you work the max you can make 6000 for speaking and 6000 for writing. 12K yuan just doing IELTS:

I wonder why more people don't do IELTS. I could do with an extra 24K usd a year!

Is this taxed in China?
igorG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so

naturegirl321 wrote:
Ok, so I guess you can make an extra 3000 yuan a weekend doing speaking.
50 yuan per essay and you do 30-40 per week for 3 weeks a month.

Which means if you work the max you can make 6000 for speaking and 6000 for writing. 12K yuan just doing IELTS:

I wonder why more people don't do IELTS. I could do with an extra 24K usd a year!

Is this taxed in China
?
I guess you can advertise for as much . I suppose recruiters may write off such expenses but noisy examiners may one day get in trouble Smile

As for the British Counsil's IELTS, it's a rotten mixture of potatoes and rice.

Amen
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

igorG wrote:
Is this taxed in China. I guess you can advertise for as much.I suppose recruiters may write off such expenses but noisy examiners may one day get in trouble.Smile

What I meant is that are you taxed in China or in your home country? Because often if you have a choice, I'd rather pay taxes in the US, more benefits that way.
auchtermuchty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't it be great if you could decide which country you were taxed in. I mean, you could live and work in the US, but you could say to the IRS, "sorry, your rates are not competitive, and I will be taking my custom elsewhere". Very Happy
therock

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:

Because most foreigners are not qualified to become IELTS examiners. I thought the requirement was for one to have a BA and a CELTA certificate. If this is true, then many foreigners here aren't even qualified to get a legal teaching job in China.
yaramaz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do need BA, CELTA and at least a few years of actual language teaching experience, not just 'oral English' in a uni classroom. EAP background helps a lot, esp. for the writing end of things.
sainthood

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also got a couple of IELTS examiner's queries...

Firstly, what's the connection between CELTA and IELTS/BC such that it's a stipulation to have the CELTA for 1 year before becoming an examiner? I've got an MA in App Ling, but I couldn't become an examiner a mere 5 months early.... I mean, frankly, my CELTA had diddly-squat to do with examining and assessing (which I was very p'ed off about... that's one of the main reason's I did the CELTA - that and the letters!) So, basically, my MA meant absolutely ZERO to BC...

Secondly, I'm hearing conflicting information... perhaps because of the changes, perhaps because China is doing things differently to the rest of the world...

Someone has told me (and I've read stuff dated 2006) that you're not allowed to 'advertise' that you're an examiner. Yet, the thread from Dec last year seemed to indicate otherwise. So, what's the actual take on that??? Can a school advertise that it has an examiner working for them? What if the examiner was 'anonymous' or used a different name?

Thanks for the informed responses! Smile

Oh, and lastly... does it matter here which BC centre you go through? For either acceptance or getting work...
yaramaz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the CELTA requirement might just be a benchmark. I don't have one either... but I do have a TEFL cert that was longer, more intensive, with a lot more practicum. I also had about 8 years of teaching under my belt (the kind involving teaching grammar, eap, business, etc, not just leading conversation classes). When I went in for my initial interview, I had to explain what my TEFL certification involved. When it became clear that it was actually more than a CELTA (and issued by a professional ELT body in Canada) they accepted it.

My guess is they're trying to weed out the weekend or online certs. Just my guess. And having the relevant experience after the certification seems to be equally important. You do need to know your stuff before diving in.

Also, about your second question, no you can't advertise being an examiner. I'm only saying this here because I haven't included any contact information or personal information in my profile. Hopefully this is considered anonymous. If schools advertise that they have an examiner working for them, the examiner can get in trouble.

Finally, at the moment the Shanghai region is overstaffed. I wouldn't apply to it now- newly recruited examiners here are being asked to do work up in the Beijing region, which is enormous. There seems to be always extra work up there (and occasionally in the GZ region).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: