Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Latin America with no experience

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BenDWire

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Teaching in Latin America with no experience Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm a 23-year-old from New Zealand and have recently completed my BA. I have no experience teaching English and no TEFL qualification.

I'd love to teach in Latin America, and am not fussy about where, as my main goal is to teach (obviously), break even as I will not have enough savings to live on while I'm there, and learn Spanish (ideally, I'd like to take classes).

Is this possible with my credentials and lack of experience?
litterascriptor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have zero experience working in South America. I do have teaching experience working in China and South Korea. My experience tells me you really should consider pulling together a nest egg prior to departing to all parts unknown. ESL can get messy at times, it's mostly unregulated by any government, and most teachers are afforded very little protection.

I have general ideas I tend to offer to people interested in traveling and teaching.

1) Have enough money to get out of town on short notice. You really don't want to get trapped in a foreign country living on a super low salary and paying the foreigner prices.

2) If possible get an open airline ticket.

3) Carry copies of all documents, back up all documents electronically. Also leave physical copies and electronic copies with someone reliable for when you need them.

4) I tend to hold TEFL certificates in disdain, but they are becoming more and more required by schools in various parts of the world. Might not be a bad idea to consider getting one in advance. Check with your University and see what they have on offer or if a CELTA can award you credits through your University.

Anyway, good luck and be careful, not trying to scare you, most teachers end up being just fine, but peace of mind is a great thing to have.

I'll now give way to those more knowledgeable on this part of the world.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, do you care about visas though?
BenDWire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:58 am    Post subject: re Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply!

@litterascriptor, thanks for the general tips on travelling in LA. Given that much for the work is unreliable, I will be sure to save enough cash to survive at least for a while in case a job offer falls through.

Safety is always going to be a concern, obviously, but I don't want it to limit my opportunities while travelling. I'm therefore pretty open to any country in LA. My final decision will come down to factors such as availability of work, pay (in that I'd like to break even at the very least), and my chances of getting a job with my lack of experience and TEFL qualifications.

If it is as you say that a TEFL qualification is becoming increasingly important, would a basic online TEFL suffice or would it have to be CELTA or something similar?

@naturegirl321, Another consideration of mine would be ideally to get a 12 or 6 month working visa if possible. Do you know of any LA countries where this would be possible?

Thanks again!
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

I'd say for Peru, being a native English speaker with a degree is usually nice.

Mexico you might be able to get a work visa, laws have changed though. Peru, I know a couple of places as well that will get you a visa work. Try UDEP in Piura. English Life in Miraflores, Lima
BenDWire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions.

How would you recommend applying for work? Here from NZ or while in Peru?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From NZ, don't expect a response, but it can't hurt. You'll have more replies if you're in Peru.
BenDWire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks naturegirl, you've been extremely helpful!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: