Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Missed the new public sector term

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
apricotdatefig

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Missed the new public sector term Reply with quote

Hi everyone. Was hoping you could offer some advice.

Ive got commitments where Im currently living until around the beginning of May. Im quite anxious to leave soon after that because I feel like Im stagnating here and want to begin the next stage of my life.

On the other hand Im pretty confident that Im better suited in lots of ways to the pros and cons your standard job on the university circuit in China than I would be the language mill side of things, but I wouldnt be able to come in that case until around the start of the September term.

So, Id be happy to work a language centre job until maybe the beginning of Spring term next year, maybe a 9 or 10 month contract. Is it industry standard that people want a bit less or more on their year contracts? I would be willing to adjust the compensation for flights by whatever amount Im shortening their standard contract.

Alternatively, I could work the full year, say till May of next year, and then take a contract for the following September somewhere and then live off my savings for 4 months. Any experience doing that? Is there somewhere, like a train station or other long term storage, to put my stuff for a couple of months?

Thanks for reading
it'snotmyfault

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nearly all the contracts I've seen here have been for one year, but some do have conditions about how you can leave early such as giving x amount of notice/ paying a breach penalty.
In reality though how easy or hard it is to carry this out probably depends on lots of variables.

Another option is to get a business visa and work on the sly until September, but that's obviously totally irresponsible advice. Laughing
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's another thread running on this topic.
My suggestion is don't wait until the main Sept start uni ads start in say March, but proactively apply now. Once you have something secured for Sept, ask about arriving early - say June and get summer camp or local language school work to tide you over.
If your uni employer is legit and keen on having you aboard they may be helpful.
Remember uni FAOs will be on holiday June/July so you won't get any sense out of them in that period.
apricotdatefig

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While not averse to breaking the law in general if breaking's what it needs, think I'd feel a bit more secure going legit till I have at least coping skills in the lingua franca. Also Im already taking a bit of a risk by not really having any money apart from for my one-way ticket over so no sense exposing myself further.

Sorry I didnt see the other thread. I know there's another one around about storing stuff over summer. Thing is that Id be looking for it for an extra couple of months from your average uni teacher so thought Id specify that.

Yeah I like your idea about getting in early on the good jobs Non Sequitur. Got a fair idea of where I want to work. The problem is being able to live over the summer without any savings, even if they put me up from June.

You guys think people will be throwing money at me to teach privately even over summer and if Im fresh off the boat?

Edit: ah I see you do... Well I'll have a think about it so.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my scenario you would have the elements of your Z visa in place courtesy of your fulltime employer, although they wouldn't complete the paperwork until mid Sept.
By lingua franca, I assume you mean Chinese. Any summer school or language school employer will have several fluent English speakers on staff.
The thing is to have this all fixed up asap.
A one way ticket will cost almost as much as a return from most start points.
Although if your total time in country is July 2013 to August 2014, you may not get an airline to sell you a return as many require the return travel to be withing 12m of the outbound leg.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: