Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hoping to find work in Shenzhen - looking for some advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lwintersgill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Hoping to find work in Shenzhen - looking for some advice Reply with quote

Hello. I'm hoping that someone out there can give me some advice.

I'm a final year Asia Pacific Studies student and I'm hoping to start a teaching career in Shenzhen after I graduate. My course deadlines are in April and ideally I'd like to be in China by August/September, however I hope to enroll on and complete a CELTA qualification first as I currently have no teaching experience.

I guess my question is quite broad. I've been scrolling through the threads here and I've seen several negative reviews about schools in China. I'm hoping that someone can share some slightly more positive reviews/experiences/recommendations with me.

Like I said I have no experience so I don't expect to just waltz into a top teaching job with an amazing salary and tonnes of benefits. Also I'm not just looking for a gap year experience.

Can anyone offer me any advice or recommendations for schools in Shenzhen?

Thanks Smile
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Hoping to find work in Shenzhen - looking for some advic Reply with quote

lwintersgill wrote:
I've been scrolling through the threads here and I've seen several negative reviews about schools in China. I'm hoping that someone can share some slightly more positive reviews/experiences/recommendations with me.

You can go to any country branch on this forum and find the same negative stories about country x, y and z. For whatever reason the people who have good experiences seldom post about them. Shenzhen has a lot of esl teachers and I doubt most of them are having bad experiences, so just do a bit of research, find a place you might want to work, and then get all your documents sorted out, that includes the right visa, and you'll be off to a good start.
it'snotmyfault

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Guangdong province is one of those that is quite strict about the visa requirements. They want the degree plus two years work experience. Just send your CV off to some employers and see what kind of feedback you get. I don't know much about that area so I can't recommend any schools for you.

I'm sure you'd find "a job", but finding a decent legitimate job when you don't meet the visa requirements could be a challenge.
doogsville

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also look at some of the expat Shenzhen sites, Google search 'Delta Bridges' for instance, and I'm sure there are others. They will have job adverts, and also give you a place to post and ask local FT's for more information.
lwintersgill

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys for the advice. It is very much appreciated Smile
HungGarTiger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really all depends on your outlook/exceptations on jobs, I've worked in several cities in China and Sz is by far the worst for ESL jobs. They pay well, true, but there is A LOT of competition for work here and so the companies demand a lot from you - it's common to be working 40 hours a week, 25 teaching and 15 office. So for the extra 5-7,000 thats a lot more work for less money, when you take into consideration living costs.

You also meet more rip-off merchants here, the biggest ones will be the companies that say having less than two year experience is ok.

IMO, go for a smaller city outside of Guangdong and earn your two years there. The visas will be easier to get, a big thing in China right now, also the 2 years experience with business enviroment and language will pay off if you start in a small town and work up.
mandu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been in living in shenzhen for 11 years,checkout shenzhenparty.com for work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: