Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

From Korea to Hong Kong.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
From Korea to China.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:01 am    Post subject: From Korea to Hong Kong. Reply with quote

This is my first post on the Hong Kong forum. I am currently working in South Korea. I have been here for several years, and I've simply had enough of the place. I need a change and, as my username suggests, I have my eyes on China - preferably Hong Kong. I wiould be grateful for any information (advice, opinions, etc..) that you may have on living / working in Hong Kong. Are there preferred places to live and work? Are there jobs that should be avoided (ie. 'hakwons' in Korea). Are there decent public school jobs. Can one save money in China. What tupe of wage is considered decent.? Are there certain recruiters to avoid? etc.

I have two graduate degrees (non-ESL related unfortunately) and an on-line TEFL certificate. I also have several years of teaching experience at Korean public schools. What realistically can I expect?

Thank you kindly in advance for any information offered.

Cheers.
Perilla

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many questions - too many perhaps! But something you need to grasp clearly at this stage is that HK and China are two completely different places. Do you want developed, or developing?
From Korea to China.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely prefer 'developed'. One of the reasons I can't endure Korea much longer is because of the coarseness of the culture and the people. Spitting, snorting, hacking, bumping, pushing, endless piles of garbage everyone one looks, xenophobia, ugly architecture, etc. etc. It's all adding up. There are good things about Korea, but at this stages the negatives far outweigh the positives for me. It's time to move on.

I understand China can be very rough around the edges, too. But at least it will a new experience for me, away from the mind-numbing sameness of day to day life in Korea.Confused

But yeah, I would definitely prefer Hong Kong if the opportunity arose.
May I ask how you like living in Hong Kong?

Thanks.
free4good

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved to HK almost 7 years ago after spending almost 10 years in Korea. I can honestly say that I like living here 100% more than living in Korea. I still miss my friends in Korea and my favourite restaurants, but my life here is so much more comfortable financially, socially and emotionally. I am on the NET scheme. I teach in a public school, have loads of holidays (about 2 weeks at Xmas, Chinese New Year and Easter and about 7 weeks in summer) and make great money. I am content in my school, but often hear rumblings from other NETs about their schools. It basically comes down to the dynamics of the school and the staff. I am not sure how well language centres pay or about working conditions at them. It might be harder finding work in HK, than in Korea. There isn't a hogwan on every corner here like there is in Korea.
From Korea to China.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

free4good wrote:
I moved to HK almost 7 years ago after spending almost 10 years in Korea. I can honestly say that I like living here 100% more than living in Korea. I still miss my friends in Korea and my favourite restaurants, but my life here is so much more comfortable financially, socially and emotionally. I am on the NET scheme. I teach in a public school, have loads of holidays (about 2 weeks at Xmas, Chinese New Year and Easter and about 7 weeks in summer) and make great money. I am content in my school, but often hear rumblings from other NETs about their schools. It basically comes down to the dynamics of the school and the staff. I am not sure how well language centres pay or about working conditions at them. It might be harder finding work in HK, than in Korea. There isn't a hogwan on every corner here like there is in Korea.

Thanks for your post. I wouldn't be interested in hogwans anyway. I'd be more interested in teaching at a public school in HK. I've been teaching at public schools in Korea for six years. So that would be a good transfer for me. Is there a particular recruiter that deals with public school openings? Would you be able to recommend where I should begin my search?

Thanks.
Joshua2006

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCMP
EdB
NET Scheme
free4good

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joshua2006 wrote:
SCMP
EdB
NET Scheme

Yeah those are where to look. Not even sure there are recruiters here. ESL is not as much an industry here as it is in Korea.
Perilla

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to apply for the NET scheme you need to get a move on - they've been advertising for the September intake of teachers for a while already. Do you have a PGCE or equivalent? It's not essential for the NET scheme, but most NETs do.
From Korea to China.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perilla wrote:
If you want to apply for the NET scheme you need to get a move on - they've been advertising for the September intake of teachers for a while already. Do you have a PGCE or equivalent? It's not essential for the NET scheme, but most NETs do.

A PGCE? I've never even heard of that one? In my years in Korea I've never heard mention of it. May I ask what it is?
free4good

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A PGCE? I've never even heard of that one? In my years in Korea I've never heard mention of it. May I ask what it is?[/quote]

It's a post graduate certificate in education. Sort of like a BEd. To reach the higher salary levels of the NET scheme you will need the PGCE or BEd.
Perilla

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

free4good wrote:
To reach the higher salary levels of the NET scheme you will need the PGCE or BEd.

Just to clarify. Ideally what you need is to be professionally qualified as a state school teacher in your home country. In the UK the professional qualifications are the PGCE or BEd. In Australia it's a PGDE. In the US you get state certification. Etc. Etc. Without qualified teacher status (QTS), which is conferred by one of the above or equivalent, you won't be able to progress beyond the lower salary levels of the NET programme - if you get taken on, that is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: