Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

learning how to tutor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:05 am    Post subject: learning how to tutor Reply with quote

Can anyone suggest a book or teacher training guide about how to be an effective ESL tutor? A co-worker and I are getting more and more side gigs and we both feel that we could be more effective. I did a search on Barnes and Noble and didn't find anything.

Thanks.

V
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt you'll find a book on how to tutor; most classroom teachers are able to adapt lessons for one-to-one tutoring situations. That said, there's plenty of info on the Internet about tutoring. For example, check out the British Council's tips. Also search using tutor efl esl private lessons for lesson ideas and tips. Ditto for a YouTube search on private esl tutoring tips.

Anyway, some of the info on the Net is quite useful, while other sources are mediocre to bleh. You'll have to decide what works well for your tutoring situations.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any You Tube postings that people can point to that may be helpful?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non Sequitur wrote:

Helpful in what context? Tutoring tips? Or content that can be used for teaching/learning?
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Non Sequitur wrote:

Helpful in what context? Tutoring tips? Or content that can be used for teaching/learning?

A pretty broad idea.
Classroom management, warm ups, assessment.
I'm a large class Oral English public uni person, so that's my major concern.
Language schools could be of interest to some, but the chains have a more defined/prescriptive approach and in my exp (Kid Castle) are not big on innovations.
adventious

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When NCLB took effect and closings began in earnest, "markets" emerged for teachers (Must Have Car ads) to tutor individual students and many titles and guides appeared to meet those changes. As far as ESL, I don't know why the OP would limit their search to B&N.
A search results in titles like Get Them Talking.

But the OP specifically asked for recommendations, and I agree with Nomad Soul about readily adapting what I already know and do.
Volver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is that my co-worker and I have always been up in front of classes and have never done much one-on-one tutoring. We know how to develop materials for and manage a class of high school kids up to adults. The money, however, is in side work. Our students range from 9 to around 30 and come to us with different levels of proficiency and desired outcomes. How to ensure we accurately determine and meet their needs is what concerns us. I've read teacher training books and there are always those nuggets of info that make a difference in class. I'm hoping I can find the same type of materials for tutoring. OK, OK, I am probably stressing too much and time and experience will sort everything out.

V
OhBudPowellWhereArtThou

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a tutor, you work with individuals, so you must tailor your curriculum your curriculum to the individuals' needs and goals. You may have to state their goals and closely monitor their progress.

You will need about four times the teaching material that you will need for a regular class.
Elicit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OhBudPowellWhereArtThou wrote:

You will need about four times the teaching material that you will need for a regular class.

Definitely this ^ Don't want to run out. Bonus is half of the following lesson is planned.

I have taught lots of BE and soft skills one-2-one courses and they usually have gone one of 2 ways. If you get a good student their progress will astound you and you will enjoy every moment. However, vice versa...

You will work harder than with a regular class. Don't discount good pair activities, because you can play the role of the other learner. Just minimise your input.

Overall, it's trial and error, but once you've done a few it'll get easier.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volver wrote:
The thing is that my co-worker and I have always been up in front of classes and have never done much one-on-one tutoring. We know how to develop materials for and manage a class of high school kids up to adults. The money, however, is in side work. Our students range from 9 to around 30 and come to us with different levels of proficiency and desired outcomes. How to ensure we accurately determine and meet their needs is what concerns us. I've read teacher training books and there are always those nuggets of info that make a difference in class. I'm hoping I can find the same type of materials for tutoring. OK, OK, I am probably stressing too much and time and experience will sort everything out.

Be clear with your tutees about your role. In other words, are you teaching or tutoring? They are different roles, different goals. We essentially are tutoring when a student comes to us outside of our class and asks for help figuring out a grammar point, or coming up with a thesis statement, or pronouncing new words. They've already been taught the content in the classroom but need extra support in reinforcing what they've just learned.

For example, take some cues from the following:

Quote:
Roles

Teachers introduce subjects to students and teach them specific aspects such as mathematical formulas or grammar rules. They work with students for the entire academic year, laying a foundation to help them more easily learn advanced concepts.

Tutors, on the other hand, provide assistance when students have difficulty learning or applying what they’ve learned. Rather than teaching students, they focus on helping them learn problem-solving strategies so they can ultimately accomplish their schoolwork with no assistance. They may work with a student long-term or meet with him just a few times, depending on his progress.

Duties

Teachers not only instruct students, they also develop lesson plans, grade papers, communicate with parents, establish classroom rules and monitor students during recess, lunch periods and between classes...

Tutors, on the other hand, focus solely on helping students with homework assignments and strategies.

Source: http://work.chron.com/tutor-vs-teacher-18133.html
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to add...

Websites about homeschooling can be useful; they offer guidance, ideas, and learning activities for one, two, or a small group of learners.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: