Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Explanation About Salaries 4 Foreign Teachers in China
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
B4UGO



Joined: 19 Nov 2012
Posts: 24
Location: China/Korea

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Best Explanation About Salaries 4 Foreign Teachers in China Reply with quote

With so much propaganda and hype being fed to us on the internet by the agents trying to get us on a plane to China, I was ecstatic when I found a web site that just deals with the facts - the good, the bad, and the ugly (including rapes & murders we never hear about). it is www.ChinaScamBusters.com.

As it turns out, according to the 2012 CFTU teacher survey, more than half of the foreign teachers in China get cheated by their own schools and 20% of female teachers report being sexually harassed. 79% say they regret choosing China and would never do it again. I know China is a lot safer than America but the way foreign teachers are cheated in China, I think I am going to Korea instead, and Dave has plenty of great contacts there.

Everything you wondered about pay, wages, contracts, and all the stuff you need to be warned about (including the bogus "training", "entry", and other BS up-front fees the agents try to squeeze from newbies) is exposed at this unusual but very useful web site. I never realized there was so many different ways to cheat someone!

[img]http://www.chinahighlights.com/image/guide/china-money.jpg[/img]


Last edited by B4UGO on Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Denim-Maniac



Joined: 31 Jan 2012
Posts: 1238

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Best Explanation About Salaries 4 Foreign Teachers in Ch Reply with quote

B4UGO wrote:

As it turns out, according to the 2012 CFTU teacher survey ...


... which was completed by 3 dissafected individuals in-between playing World of Warcraft.

Enjoy Korea - Its a shining beacon of fair play, happy working conditions and a love thy neighbour vibe.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Javelin of Radiance



Joined: 01 Jul 2009
Posts: 1187
Location: The West

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B4UGO wrote:
[img]http://www.chinahighlights.com/image/guide/china-money.jpg[/img]

With so much propaganda and hype being fed to us on the internet by the agents trying to get us on a plane to China, I was ecstatic when I found a web site that just deals with the facts - the good, the bad, and the ugly (including rapes & murders we never hear about). it is www.ChinaScamBusters.com.

As it turns out, according to the 2012 CFTU teacher survey, more than half of the foreign teachers in China get cheated by their own schools and 20% of female teachers report being sexually harassed. 79% say they regret choosing China and would never do it again. I know China is a lot safer than America but the way foreign teachers are cheated in China, I think I am going to Korea instead, and Dave has plenty of great contacts there.

Everything you wondered about pay, wages, contracts, and all the stuff you need to be warned about (including the bogus "training", "entry", and other BS up-front fees the agents try to squeeze from newbies) is exposed at this unusual but very useful web site. I never realized there was so many different ways to cheat someone!


Nah, that site is pretty bogus looking.

Everything you need to know is right here at eslcafe dot com. That's right! eslcafe dot com!! Call now!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
it'snotmyfault



Joined: 14 May 2012
Posts: 527

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to be blocked here (it's using google blogger)

I can't be bothered firing my VPN up to have a look either.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
B4UGO



Joined: 19 Nov 2012
Posts: 24
Location: China/Korea

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: About Salaries in China For Foreign Teachers... Reply with quote

Actually, if I would have believed my agent without doing my own homework, that creep would be collecting 40% of my paycheck right now every month. What I didn't realize is that the same six agents own the first and half of the second page of google and they all give the same low-ball "Average Salary For Foreign Teachers in China". I followed the advice of another poster and learned the real numbers at ChinaScamBusters.com and then went and started contacting employers directly by email. So now I am earning 16,000 yuan per month instead of 10,000 yuan, which the agent tried to convince me "10,000 is the best you can expect in Beijing". He damn near had a heart attack when I told him I would see him in Beijing to review his contract instead of signing it before I left. I always go with my gut. But they must spend a fortune on spamming their ads to be all over the first and second page of Google.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
it'snotmyfault



Joined: 14 May 2012
Posts: 527

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What key words do you put into google to get that? I do believe you, I'm just curious.

Good on you for landing a decent job too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Denim-Maniac



Joined: 31 Jan 2012
Posts: 1238

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: About Salaries in China For Foreign Teachers... Reply with quote

B4UGO wrote:
But they must spend a fortune on spamming their ads to be all over the first and second page of Google.


As opposed to spending time on spamming ads to be all over the first and second page of whichever forum you use.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mambawamba



Joined: 12 Jun 2012
Posts: 272

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The site you linked to is blocked here.

Been here a long time and as a woman can honestly say the people I've been sexually harrassed by have been male foreign teachers.

The ESL industry is a sharp learning curve, newbies get shafted because they don't do their homework. If it looks too good to be true, it is. I've been f***ed over by schools more in the UK then in China.

Also for the OP, you state in your first post that because of the linked site you're going to Korea rather then China but in your second post you say you're in Beijing earning 16,000RMB, are you actually in China?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Denim-Maniac



Joined: 31 Jan 2012
Posts: 1238

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mambawamba wrote:

Also for the OP, you state in your first post that because of the linked site you're going to Korea rather then China but in your second post you say you're in Beijing earning 16,000RMB, are you actually in China?


^^^This.

People who pop up on forums sending links to other websites are normally / often spammers, and they contribute little to forums ... places where the majority of active members try to give advice and share genuine experiences and ideas.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikeologist



Joined: 07 Sep 2009
Posts: 537

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't want to be scammed in China

a) Never, ever, ever use agents.

b) Only come here on a legitamate Z visa

c) Get information from current teachers at the school you'll be working at.

Of course that won't make you 100% safe, and you may sometimes have to start off in a relatively low paid, but otherwise good school in order to get your foot in China. You may still be scammed in lots of little ways. (In fact you can almost guarantee it).

If the only way you can get a job in China is by ignoring those 3 bits of advice, then it's not China's fault.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ecubyrd



Joined: 09 May 2009
Posts: 159

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denim-Maniac wrote:
mambawamba wrote:

Also for the OP, you state in your first post that because of the linked site you're going to Korea rather then China but in your second post you say you're in Beijing earning 16,000RMB, are you actually in China?


^^^This.

People who pop up on forums sending links to other websites are normally / often spammers, and they contribute little to forums ... places where the majority of active members try to give advice and share genuine experiences and ideas.


Yes, that ^^ and this ^. I wondered the same thing when I read this thread yesterday. After reading the second post again, could it be that the op has a contract to work in Beijing if he/she wants?

Either way, I think the op should go to kimchi-land, because that place is certainly known for all employers/recruiters being fair and honest afterall. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cormac



Joined: 04 Nov 2008
Posts: 629
Location: Xi'an (XTU)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using agents comes down to pure luck. I've used two agents, the first time I was shafted and the second, I was treated very well. On the other hand I know of two other people who used the same agent I used the second time and had mixed experiences.

The simple fact is that agents are only useful if you're willing to do some of your own homework / research to confirm what they're telling you. China is not a country to place naive trust in anyone... Chinese or foreign.

Lastly someone mentioned checking with other teachers at schools or past teachers. This also comes down to luck. Many teachers have their own agendas in regards to new teachers joining. Take references with a pinch of doubt... Do your own research. It's really that simple.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikeologist



Joined: 07 Sep 2009
Posts: 537

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cormac wrote:
Using agents comes down to pure luck. I've used two agents, the first time I was shafted and the second, I was treated very well. On the other hand I know of two other people who used the same agent I used the second time and had mixed experiences.

The simple fact is that agents are only useful if you're willing to do some of your own homework / research to confirm what they're telling you. China is not a country to place naive trust in anyone... Chinese or foreign.

Lastly someone mentioned checking with other teachers at schools or past teachers. This also comes down to luck. Many teachers have their own agendas in regards to new teachers joining. Take references with a pinch of doubt... Do your own research. It's really that simple.


Yes, sorry. I cidn't mean to suggest that one shouldn't do your own research, and of course emails from current teachers should be taken with a pinch of salt. I think that if you communicate with a couple of current teachers, it should be possible to tell the difference between someone who's happy there and telling the truth, and someone who's misleading you for whatever reason. If it sounds too good to be true, it almost certainly is.

All I'd say is that, if a school refuses to put you in contact with current teachers, there's probably a reason for that, and they should be avoided.

On the subject of recruiters, I'm not sure hwo it would be possible to research their offer, since they could just lie to you until you arrive in China, but Cormac, you've actually used recruiters so, ok.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Burke



Joined: 22 Nov 2012
Posts: 42
Location: Beijing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: China Foreign Teachers Roll Dice With Agents & Recruiter Reply with quote

vikeologist wrote:
cormac wrote:
Using agents comes down to pure luck. I've used two agents, the first time I was shafted and the second, I was treated very well. On the other hand I know of two other people who used the same agent I used the second time and had mixed experiences.

The simple fact is that agents are only useful if you're willing to do some of your own homework / research to confirm what they're telling you. China is not a country to place naive trust in anyone... Chinese or foreign.

Lastly someone mentioned checking with other teachers at schools or past teachers. This also comes down to luck. Many teachers have their own agendas in regards to new teachers joining. Take references with a pinch of doubt... Do your own research. It's really that simple.


Yes, sorry. I cidn't mean to suggest that one shouldn't do your own research, and of course emails from current teachers should be taken with a pinch of salt. I think that if you communicate with a couple of current teachers, it should be possible to tell the difference between someone who's happy there and telling the truth, and someone who's misleading you for whatever reason. If it sounds too good to be true, it almost certainly is.

All I'd say is that, if a school refuses to put you in contact with current teachers, there's probably a reason for that, and they should be avoided.

On the subject of recruiters, I'm not sure hwo it would be possible to research their offer, since they could just lie to you until you arrive in China, but Cormac, you've actually used recruiters so, ok.



I agree vike... current teachers cannot be used as a reference, but not many schools will give you contact info for former teachers, and if they do, they are probably singers (shills). I used an agent in 2010 that was "government approved on the SAFEA and FEB list" and nine months later some foreigner in Chaoyang was using my name to open bank accounts and bought $32,857 of merchandise with "my" credit cards on the internet before he got popped.

In exchange for deportation (instead of 2 years in the can) he gave up the "government-approved agent" (Went by the name of Eric Liu). Someone on Beijinger said he is still hustling teachers and didn't even change his name like most of them do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kev7161



Joined: 06 Feb 2004
Posts: 5772
Location: Suzhou, China

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't "Burke" just "B4UGO" with a different name?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2011 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Road2Spain - TEFL and Spanish with one year student visa
EBC