Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SCAM WARNING: ESL ASIA/Jobs Japan/Japan Placements
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sperling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: SCAM WARNING: ESL ASIA/Jobs Japan/Japan Placements Reply with quote

It has come to our attention that there is a disreputable company posting jobs on several top ESL Sites. Do not apply for any jobs from ESL ASIA/Jobs Japan (Anthony Martin, Paul Adler, David Smith, Michael Simpson, Malcolm MacDonald, etc. ), a company based in Thailand.

Do NOT send them your original university diplomas or any money because this is a SCAM!

All the best,

Dave Sperling
Founder
Dave's ESL Cafe
http://www.eslcafe.com
Fantom71

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:16 am    Post subject: Enquiring about Scams Reply with quote

Dear Dave,

Have you heard of an organisation called GlobalClients or alan@globalclients.org as it is an organisation offering jobs on Tealit.com and eslisland.com, stating they can get preferential jobs which they offer to their clients. If you want to be a client you have to pay NT$15,000 to join and NT$5000 a month after that. The jobs they offer have excellent salaries and if it is real I would like to join them, but it sounds like a con. Can you please give me advice as I am very dubious having only received emails and no-one I know has heard of them either.

Regards

Tee
jnesta1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up Dave. I'm sure this info will be of benefit to someone who might otherwise be a victim.

jn
Sheep-Goats

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One man? One company? Here's what I got for searching for some of the names Dave mentioned, with the addition of "bangkok" as a search item in Google:

Anthony Martin story: http://www.elgazette.com/ELNews/NewsStory.asp?SubTitle=&Special=&StoryID=597
Quote:
Complaints about Anthony Martin, placement director of Vietnam ESL Placement Service, were made to the Gazette by Paul Hyder, an English teacher based in Taiwan. The Gazette has established that Martin is also directly involved in ESL Asia, another Bangkok-based organisation attracting criticism from teachers. Vietnam ESL Placement and ESL Asia have the same phone number.

Paul Adler story: http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-bin/forum/index.pl?noframes;read=2484
Quote:
Unless the crime involves murder, drugs, or people playing poker, don't expect the Thai police to help you. Hence, the reason why people like Paul Adler can still cheat people so openly without being caught.

Michael Simpson post: http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-bin/forum/index.pl?noframes;read=2261
Quote:
I am posting this message to inform everyone that Paul Adler's scam 'company' ESL Asia is in the process of changing to a new 'company' called WorkInAsia which also goes by the name ThaiJobPlacements... and probably another number of names. He has a new web site, a new phone number, and is using a new name, Micheal Simpson.

Thai Job Placements
Web - www.geocities.com/WorkInAsia E-mail - ThaiJobPlacements@Gamebox.net Ph # - 66-04-003-7232

Other email addresses he is using are: VietESLSvc@BonBon.net.bsp , WorkInAsia@yahoo.com , WorkInAsia@BonBon.net , and ThaiJobPlacements@Gamebox.net

But, if anyone looks at the WorkInAsia website and actually applies for a job with the company, perhaps it's more Darwinisim than a sacm per-se: http://www.geocities.com/WorkInAsia/
merlin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurrahhh Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
I really wish you would do more of this sort of thing, Dave.

Anyone with similar verifiable stories can send them to me either by PM or by e-mail and I will deal with them appropriately.
merlin@eflplanet.com
Dr_Zoidberg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Enquiring about Scams Reply with quote

Fantom71 wrote:
Dear Dave,

Have you heard of an organisation called GlobalClients or alan@globalclients.org as it is an organisation offering jobs on Tealit.com and eslisland.com, stating they can get preferential jobs which they offer to their clients. If you want to be a client you have to pay NT$15,000 to join and NT$5000 a month after that. The jobs they offer have excellent salaries and if it is real I would like to join them, but it sounds like a con. Can you please give me advice as I am very dubious having only received emails and no-one I know has heard of them either.

Regards

Tee

I, too, have been approached by this recruiter. The scam used on me was to send me a list of schools and ask at which I would like to teach. When I sent the schools I had selected back to them, I got an email saying, sorry, but those schools are reserved for our preferred clients, of course I could become a preferred client, just send money.

No thank you.

As for Asia ESL and Malcolm MacDonald, I have been approached by one Malcolm MacDonald from a company called TaiwanESL. The next time he emails me I shall ask him what he has to say about this.
Kimura

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Japan Placements Reply with quote

I too have had the misfortune of being partially scammed by these sheisters. They posed as a placement company called Japan Placements. I believe Malcolm MacDonald was the contact person.

After sending me a bogus contract they requested me to send all my personal info (photocopied passport, resume, diploma, photos). Unknowingly, I sent them all these documents, however, I held back on wiring them the $50 processing fee. I had an eerie feeling it was a scam because of their promise of setting me up with a visa in only a month and a half.

Luckily, I found this forum. I hope this story provides sheds more light on this disgraceful organization, in case there are a few of you out there who are still in denial about it.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:37 pm    Post subject: Giving many a bad name Reply with quote

It's people, and groups like this in Asia that give much of the industry a bad name. While there are many reputable placement agencies and recruiters out there working hard, it can sometimes be difficult to know who's who.

You can avoid being scammed by checking, double checking, and triple checking who you are dealing with. Dave's ESL is one of your best sources here for information.

I work for a Placement Agency in Latin America. I openly invite other recruiters and placers to work a little bit harder in getting quick and honest information out on the Net to our clients. It would be difficult to organize an industry standard, but we can start by doing a few simple things.

-be honest. Word of mouth is our best advertiser, and honesty and quality in service comes back through new clients.

-remember the details. There is a lot of information to transmit to teachers when moving across continents. One missed detail is all it takes for confusion and bad feelings to build

-talk to your competitors. It only takes one company or person like Malcolm MacDonald to make it difficult for us honest ones to do a good job. We should police ourselves in this respect.

Guy Courchesne
Teachers Latin America
Mexico
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
sfarkas103

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:28 am    Post subject: Beware "New Times International-Teach In China" Reply with quote

They go by 2 different names, either "New Times International" or "Teach In China". You will respond to a Mr. Dou, or a Chinese man named Michael. Their email is jobs@teachinchina.cn. I have spent over 2 years in China teaching and this was the worst recruiter I have ever seen. They sent me off to a distant town after I responded to an advertisement for a job in a desireable location. It was a cess pool and they actually/literally stole 100RMB that I had left with them to put on my phone card. Please ask questions before you deal with this group and don't believe the responses. The other foreigners I encountered briefly were as dazed as I, and had been mislead as well.
nolefan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure it's a good idea to leave this thread open for further posting as every disgrunteled teacher can come here on a bad day and bash whomever they want.

As a reply to Scott, this is what I have to say:

I happen to know everyone in that office and I am good friends with Mr. Dou and Michael, so are a few other folks on these forums. I have visited them countless times (as a matter of fact, I going to see them in Shijiazhuang tonight) and I have never witnessed such a thing happen.

just for reference:

-they don't go by two names: their website is http://www.techinchina.cn and the name of the organistion is New Times.
- Mr. Dou is the owner of the company and Michael is the person in charge of answering queries from the teachers.
- They never send you anywhere before telling you the location and giving you a choice of coming back if you don't like things there.
- their adds, as far as I know, NEVER specify a location... they just refer to over 300 nationwide openings.

I have seen Dou stick his neck out for many folks that did not deserve it and even pay some of the teachers that were cheated off their money by the schools from his own pocket.

'nuf said....
sfarkas103

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:33 am    Post subject: New Times Reply with quote

I am glad you have had, and continue to have, a good repoire with the company in question. The job location advertised was specific, the school itself was not. The other 3 teachers I met who arrived at the same time reported the same thing, however their city specific location advertised was far from the one they wound up with. I was sent to an alternate city after the circumstances of the first were not as portrayed. In the second case it was a blatant lie about living conditions, type of school, how many other foreign teachers were there (they said 4, there were 0) and teaching hours. They flat out stole the 100RMB I had left to put on my phone card since it was good in Hebei Province and I was going to Shandong and wouldn't be able to put anymore on before I left and it was almost out (since you know everyone ask William, Chinese family name Shu, where my 100 is). I am not a disgruntled teacher, I am ready to abide by a legitimate contract. Hope you enjoyed the dinner with Mr. Dou, as for the rest of you I would still exercise great caution in dealing with this concern.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Keep this thread oped Reply with quote

You've demonstrated exactly why this thread should be kept open, even for every 'disgruntled teacher' with a minor grudge. The thread and forum give everyone a chance to respond to real or made up problems, and very quickly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
kop

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:32 am    Post subject: Dragon Recruiters Tawian Reply with quote

Hi guys
i left my 3 year stint in Taiwan this year and though i have gotten over it, i wanted to warn people about Dragon Recruiters. They have been running for a while now so I guess they cant be Shnaai-ing everyone, if you out there had good experiences im glad, but all they ever did was misinform, misinform, and keep my money . as always these things are compliacted, but we got nothing we were promised were over worked for 2 weeks and never paid. I spoke to the guy Steve who was running the op from SA at the time and he told us to do our meds in South Africa (!) which we ofcourse had to redo, he told us to get the brit landing Visa, which unlike the SA isnt free and you cant get ARC on it so had to visa run. to top everything off when we were dumped by the first school the agent wanted us to go to Kioshung which we didnt want to do besides take another job from them. Steves Taiwanese partner Vivian had the balls to say and I quote “you white people are all the same just causing trouble!” because we thought it unfair that they wouldnt reemburse us the money we'd paid for thier "services" i saw someone else was asking about Dragon on another thread, but i thouhgt id post this here too. i think its a good thread to keep open.
all the best to everyone
wayne8z

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This original posting is really very helpful to many.
And am sure that everyone appreciated Dave posting the original thread.
However maybe the following might be considered
Quote:
They go by 2 different names, either "New Times International" or "Teach In China.

Huh? sfarkas103 trying to hijack an otherwise very helpful thread.
New Times international is not associated nor has it any association with the people in the original posting by Dave?
Quote:
They sent me off to a distant town

Best go here for another side http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/job/viewtopic.php?p=167177#167177
Quote:
They flat out stole the 100RMB

No, Mr Dou nor any of his staff had any reason to "steal" your money.
They are all reasonable people and really are quite helpful.
Their services are paid for by the schools directly.
New Times International offers a useful service to teachers, who are new to China and do not have any contacts in China prior to entry. Their website is www.teachinchna.cn
mariajt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also got tricked by esl asia lost my documents and some money oh well!
However I did get an email from eslnetasia this time under the assumed name of Rachel Park! Just thought I'd let you know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: