Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where next?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bansheebeat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Where next? Reply with quote

So I am wrapping up my first TEFL contract in Thailand in September and am wondering where to go next. My plan was to go to Spain to participate in their Auxilliares program, but I don't think I'm going to be able to get my visa sorted in time to make it for the start of their semester (lots of hoops to jump through since I'm applying for the visa in a country outside of my nationality).

So a little about me: 22/male, NES (American), no TEFL cert, but I have experience in Thailand (teaching M6, which is 17-18 year olds) and experience teaching adults at home, 4 year uni degree (music), and I think that about covers it.

I'm really wanting to give Europe a go as I am pretty well over Asia. I have loved my time here, but I am ready for a change. Spain was a great option because I am quite fluent in Spanish and the Auxilliares program seemed to be pretty solid.

Advice?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you only interested in countries where you can teach without a TEFL cert? Or do you plan to complete a teacher-training course once your current contract ends?
Janiny

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can look at Dave's International Job Forum; there are often offers for South America. I think some may even help you get your CELTA. Those and others require little or no experience, and they like a lad who can speak Spanish already.

As an American (non Euro Union citizen) you may have more challenges getting hired in Spain. I suppose it will be 'no problemo' in South America.

Hah ha! Looky there. I can speak Spanish too!

Last edited by Janiny on Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of hurdles: except for a VERY few programs, Western Europe is basically out of the question for non-EU passport holders. Central/Eastern Europe is more feasible. Check the country-specific forums below for more information. Germany, potentially do-able if you're fairly well financed and can buy time to get paperwork together. Czech Rep, Slovakia, Poland, all possible.

Most contracts are Sept/Oct through June, so it sounds as though you may be starting a bit late in 2014, especially given that 99% of newbies on this job market have a CELTA or equivalent cert, and given that you present visa hassles as well, it's unlikely that any reputable school will give you a second look until you're certified.

The job market here is very much slanted in favor of employers - there are lots of teachers around, and very few employers will take a chance on someone sight-unseen, so you need to just come over, pick a city, get certified, and do interviews.

Finally, your experience in Thailand won't help much - apples and oranges to European students in general. There's a thread on this on the General Europe board.

It's possible, but your timing will be off and your passport makes things much more difficult. You'll also need to limit your search to countries where you can work legally (detailed above).
bansheebeat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the tips. I have no problem taking a CELTA course, just didn't know if it would be necessary. Aside from Spain, I much prefer Eastern Europe.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bansheebeat wrote:
I have no problem taking a CELTA course, just didn't know if it would be necessary.

It's certainly "necessary" if you expect to compete against other job seekers who very likely will hold a CELTA.
bansheebeat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
bansheebeat wrote:
I have no problem taking a CELTA course, just didn't know if it would be necessary.

It's certainly "necessary" if you expect to compete against other job seekers who very likely will hold a CELTA.

Yeah man I get it. I haven't researched much outside of Asia, and here the experience I had back home was more than enough for me to be competitive.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very different job market from Asia!
But if you complete a CELTA, it will help considerably.

You might think about doing one in the city you want to start out in; a good training centre can help quite a lot with logistics (airport pickup, housing during the course, local orientation), and can give you valuable information about reputable local employers.

Prague, for example, has several good training centres. Check the Czech forum below for more information.

Timing is important, though, and hiring season is September!! Don't be too late....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: