Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

To TEFL or not to TEFL?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joshwyatt000

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: To TEFL or not to TEFL? Reply with quote

Hey there,

I've just got back from 2 years teaching English with EPIK (Public school system) in South Korea and will be making a move to Colombia in several months.
My question is, do you think I should complete an online TEFL course before i arrive?
I studied English Language and Literature at university in the UK so with this, plus my 2 years experience in Korea my thoughts are that an online TEFL isn't going to be overly necessary. Do you think that it would enhance my CV to such an extent that it could be the difference between getting an interview and not?

From what i have read on this forum so far, CELTA is the way to go but i neither the money nor the time to complete this qualification right now.
Can anyone with experience in Colombia let me know what they think? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
The Internationalist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt bother...

you wont be getting a uni job nor will you be getting a nice bilingual / international school job.

so that leaves you with language institutes and regular colegios for which you do not need a TEFL or CELTA.
G22

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to sped the $1500 for a CELTA, or do you need a TEFL. With experience and a degree you will get work.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just do a TEFL course in a couple of years. Get it out of the way. Down the line, you will get better jobs and more money with better quals. Many schools do ask for TEFL certification, but in Colombia you should be fine, especially in the rural areas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: