Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Indonesia - Feasible for me?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
allgetabong

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:02 am    Post subject: Indonesia - Feasible for me? Reply with quote

I've read about Thailand, Indonesia, and Cambodia. Jobs seem to be in high demand, and qualifications relatively low. How's the current situation in Indonesia? I'm 22, white American (I've heard it matters),undergrad with no degree, working on finding a cheap TEFL course, and of course no experience.

I love Indonesia and its diverse culture, and I'm highly interested in working there whether in a rural, or urban setting.

Whats the situation over there...could I show up and find a job easily considering I do my part as far as seaching my ass off for school's (newspaper ad's, online ad's, other teachers, and paying the taxi/cart/bike driver to take me to every school/institute/program in the area. As for living expenses, I'm looking to get away from western luxuries, and living a somewhat simple lifestyle...perhaps a 6 pack a night, a pack of smokes, and a few tidbits here and there. What do yall think? Does someone with my qualification, or the lack thereof stand a chance in Indo, or should I look elsewhere. If looking elsewhere, any suggestions based on personal experience?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TEAM_PAPUA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:25 am    Post subject: *** Reply with quote

With regard to going to Indonesia 'Bandit Style' be informed that you cannot entire the country on a single ticket - you must have an onward ticket or you will be held at immigration.

The better schools in Indonesia do require experience & a Good qualification such as CELTA or Trinity & there are now an awful lot of teachers in Indonesia with Degrees.

Your best bet is EF as they will hire anyone (no insult intended), do your year then move on to greener pastures. Also a year means a year as your visa ties you to the company - therefore, you cannot up & leave if it doesn't suit you.

Hope this helps Cool
Chester

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:55 am    Post subject: Arresting thoughts Reply with quote

Living the simple life, huh?
Try stealing the beer and cigarettes, get arrested, and live the simple life, behind bars. Its cheap, rent free, free meals too.
TEAM_PAPUA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I love Indonesia and its diverse culture

seems that you already know all about it?
allgetabong

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: And how is this? Reply with quote

And how does it seem I'm claiming to know all about it when I say that I admire a country and its diverse culture? Or better yet, why do you care...? Of course I'm a bit naive since I've I've never been there, but I didn't know I'd have to through the usual Smartass Board Regs Patrol simply for showing interest in a country and asking a few questions.

Anyway, for whoever gave me the suggestion and info on EF, thanks. I've gotten up with them recently and they sent me a few things, such as faqs, etc. Seem's interesting, but I have 2 or 3 more offers in November that seem good as well (hows the weather/people in Manado? do you know? Never met anyone from the north islands...got a great offer from a school there).

Anyway if anyone else has some advice/tips for teaching in Indonesia, post and I'll reply within 24, later.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: