Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where in Central/South America for living and TEFL?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sheryluk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Where in Central/South America for living and TEFL? Reply with quote

Hello, where would people recommend to live and teach English in Central/South America? I will also be on a tourist visa till I hopefully obtain a work visa or move counrty. I don't have a degree, but I do have my tefl.

I would like somewhere with low cost of living, ok wage to live on and to travel about on. Also I would like to live somewhere on the coast, semi quiet living with good weather all year around

The countries that stand out are: Costa Rica, Mexico, Arentina, Chile and Equador.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Sheryl
johntpartee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mexico is a pretty good place, but I couldn't save there. I broke even, though. I've heard the same about Costa Rica.
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Where in Central/South America for living and TEFL? Reply with quote

sheryluk wrote:
Hello, where would people recommend to live and teach English in Central/South America? I will also be on a tourist visa till I hopefully obtain a work visa or move counrty. I don't have a degree, but I do have my tefl.

I would like somewhere with low cost of living, ok wage to live on and to travel about on. Also I would like to live somewhere on the coast, semi quiet living with good weather all year around

The countries that stand out are: Costa Rica, Mexico, Arentina, Chile and Equador.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Sheryl

First: don't ever move to a country you can't spell!

Second: don't move to any country where you can't correctly identify which continent you will be living on.

Seriously, of these countries I would have suggested Mexico until the recent immigration law changes. Now it appears that you'll have to go to the country on a 180- day visa to find a position, but then leave to apply for a residence and work permit from your home country once you have a job. Until recently you could change visa status while remaining in Mexico. There is a great deal of uncertainty about how the new law will work in practice, but you might want to read the threads on the Mexico forum. (I'm assuming you will want to work legally.)

sheryluk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops. I always get mixed up when trying to spell Ecuador and I missed a letter in Argetina Smile.

Well it's better than trying to decide between SEA and Latin America. I'm getting there in small steps and no harm keeping my options open. I like to research different places.

Yes, the new visa requirements are not great for Mexico and you do have to apply for a temporary visa reisdency. This does permit you to stay for 4 years though. Not sure if you need an employer first or you need so much money in the bank.
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheryl, I see you posted this six times. For future reference, multiple posts are not recommended. Just post once in the most appropriate place. In this case, General Latin America would be a good starting point for you. As people respond with advice and information, you can then follow up with more specific questions in the individual country forums, if you wish.

Xie Lin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sheryluk wrote:
Oops. I always get mixed up when trying to spell Ecuador and I missed a letter in Argetina Smile.

Well it's better than trying to decide between SEA and Latin America. I'm getting there in small steps and no harm keeping my options open. I like to research different places.

Yes, the new visa requirements are not great for Mexico and you do have to apply for a temporary visa reisdency. This does permit you to stay for 4 years though. Not sure if you need an employer first or you need so much money in the bank.

I recommend the two threads on the Mexico board about the changes. I've been trying to sort out the new rules myself, and am still confused. There is quite a lot of conflicting information right now--it should all become clearer as the changes are implemented. But however it shakes out, you will almost certainly have to go to Mexico to locate a job as a first step. (This much I do know from past experience! )

sheryluk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks for the info detective Gadget Smile
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: Where in Central/South America for living and TEFL? Reply with quote

Xie Lin wrote:
sheryluk wrote:
Hello, where would people recommend to live and teach English in Central/South America?

Second: don't move to any country where you can't correctly identify which continent you will be living on.

What's wrong with Central America and South America?

Seems like Mexico is still pretty popular: they have two boards here on the forum. job related and off-topic
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Where in Central/South America for living and TEFL? Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
Xie Lin wrote:
sheryluk wrote:
Hello, where would people recommend to live and teach English in Central/South America?

What's wrong with Central America and South America?

Seems like Mexico is still pretty popular: they have two boards here on the forum. job related and off-topic

Sorry-- perhaps my advice was a little too cryptic. I was referring to to fact that Mexico, one of the OP's countries of interest, is in neither Central nor South America. Confused

Concepcion780

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I was referring to to fact that Mexico, one of the OP's countries of interest, is in neither Central nor South America."

I got that. I had to read back over the original post, but I figured it out and got kind of excited about that. Yay geography!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: