Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need advice- State Certified Teacher

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamesk2013

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Need advice- State Certified Teacher Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm a long time lurker. first time poster. I recently finished my Master of Teaching which certifies me to teach in public schools in Ontario. I'm looking to get a job internationally but I'm not sure what to expect. I applied to Korean public schools but my classmates suggested that I should be more ambitious and try international schools instead.

I understand my first year will be tough. I have a teaching qualification without post-qualification teaching experience.

What can I realistically expect in terms of salary for my first year? What would you suggest to be a good starting point for a well paid teaching career?

Any advice would be extremely appreciated.

Thank you.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice- State Certified Teacher Reply with quote

Jamesk2013 wrote:
Hi all,

I'm a long time lurker. first time poster. I recently finished my Master of Teaching which certifies me to teach in public schools in Ontario. I'm looking to get a job internationally but I'm not sure what to expect. I applied to Korean public schools but my classmates suggested that I should be more ambitious and try international schools instead.

I understand my first year will be tough. I have a teaching qualification without post-qualification teaching experience.

What can I realistically expect in terms of salary for my first year? What would you suggest to be a good starting point for a well paid teaching career?

Any advice would be extremely appreciated.

Thank you.

Without real classroom experience it will be hard to get into a decent, internationally accredited school.

With your teaching cert and academic credentials you will be able to get a job in lots of "schools". Try looking at things like the NET program in Hong Kong ( http://www.edb.gov.hk/index.aspx?nodeID=1300&langno=1 ), public schools in Taiwan, some of the better private schools in China or Thailand.

When comparing the value of jobs across various different economies it is a false dichotomy to compare jobs based on salaries alone. Extra things like airfare, housing, medical, pensions, and bonuses can add significantly to the bottom line.

Then look at the cost of comparable living styles in the countries in question. 60,000 thb or 12,000 rmb ($2000/mo) goes a lot farther in Thailand or central China than it does in Korea. (savings of $1000/month are easily possible in all 3.

The bottom line is that you have to look at the whole remuneration package and then the NET SAVINGS (the jingle in your jeans that is left at the end of the year).

AFTER you have a couple of years of teaching experience under your belt your options to more and better jobs will become available to you.

nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on completing your master's degree.

A couple of questions:

What content or subject are you qualified to teach?
What country or region interests you? Where do you want to teach?
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The normal requirement is a MINIMUM of two yeras classroom teaching experience.
Jamesk2013

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great advice guys. It's hard to understand the international esl industry as an outsider so I really value your input.

To answer your question Nomad, I'm a primary school teacher trained to teach all of the core subjects (Science, English, Math, Social Science, etc..). I'm looking mainly in Asia. I've already applied to Hong Kong, Singapore, and Taiwan public schools but I don't know my chances. I heard it's pretty competitive especially in Hong Kong and Singapore.

ttompatz, I've never considered Thailand, I'll definitely take a look. You are spot on about comparing salaries of different countries. The cost of living is different so it gets extremely confusing.

When international schools look at the minimum 2 years classroom teaching experience, would they look at teaching in certain schools or countries as more legitimate?
Glenski

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamesk2013 wrote:
When international schools look at the minimum 2 years classroom teaching experience, would they look at teaching in certain schools or countries as more legitimate?
Here in Japan, they want you to have that experience in your home country.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamesk2013 wrote:
Thanks for the great advice guys. It's hard to understand the international esl industry as an outsider so I really value your input.

To answer your question Nomad, I'm a primary school teacher trained to teach all of the core subjects (Science, English, Math, Social Science, etc..). I'm looking mainly in Asia. I've already applied to Hong Kong, Singapore, and Taiwan public schools but I don't know my chances. I heard it's pretty competitive especially in Hong Kong and Singapore.

ttompatz, I've never considered Thailand, I'll definitely take a look. You are spot on about comparing salaries of different countries. The cost of living is different so it gets extremely confusing.

Shooting a cannon down a hallway in the hopes of hitting something....

Do you want to be a school teacher or to teach EFL?
They source their employees from different places.

If you just want classroom experience (as an elementary school teacher) then IF you are not getting your experience at home (often a requirement for the better schools) then it won't really matter what country it is in.

If you are looking for EFL positions then you are not really looking for an "international school" but a local school (probably private) that either uses native English speakers to fill their English program positions or possibly English speaking teachers to teach other subjects in English.

The bottom of the stack (for a certified teacher) would be EFL in a language academy and that is about as far from a school classroom as you can get and still be called a teacher.

Decide what you want to do then it will be easier to give better advice on the where and how.

As far as un-confusing the confusion of the remuneration packages... bottom line is look at the quality of living and savings at the end of the year.
If you can live comfortably with a few luxuries thrown in and still save $12k per year then it is a good place to start and get your feet wet.

After you get into it, get some experience and get better at doing what you do the potential to network into something better comes into play in a big way. It is all about who you know and more importantly, who knows you. In Asia it really is all about connections.

Jump in, get your feet wet and roll with it. It ain't home but it is interesting.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: