Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

mali

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: mali Reply with quote

http://blogs.channel4.com/lindsey-hilsum-on-international-affairs/will-anyone-stop-the-islamists-in-mali/1320

Never fear ! With all our recent experience in Iraq, Afgnaistan and Libya, we can go in and take care of it !
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Mali going to be for the French what Afghanistan has become for the US (and others) ?
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now in Algeria. Spin-off from what has been going on in neighbouring countries. Not good.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MoD in London have just announced that they are sending 40 "Advisors" to support our French allies in Mali.

Oh-oh !
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They just announced that they are sending 40 advisors and 200+operational troops. "Operational decidsion" so Commons not consulted.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have the French and British been sucked into another guerilla war ?
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice conversation you've got going there scot. Wink

scot47 wrote:
Have the French and British been sucked into another guerilla war ?

No, because the Salafi mujahideen who took control were pretty much all foreign conquerers. They let the well-armed but disorganized Tuaregs do all the fighting, then promptly turned and stabbed them in the back, and ruled through a reign of intimidation. (It's not for nothing that we call them terrorists.) Unlike the Taliban, the jihadists weren't even a little popular locally. The Tuareg (to say nothing of the relatively liberal and non-Tuareg, but unarmed majority of locals) then supported the French intervention to oust the mujahideen while insisting that they're going to take up arms again of the French let the Malians back in.

While it's a stupid game of brinksmanship the Tuareg are playing, as long as the French hand over to ECOWAS instead of directly to Bamako, everything should be fine. If they do let the Malians back in, the Tuareg are still unlikely to beat the French in a conventional showdown, and aren't particularly well-loved in the cities (and I doubt the French will pursue them into the desert). As I noted above, the Tuareg were better-armed than the locals, but not particularly popular, while the jihadists merely had the misplaced trust of the Tuareg, a generous canteen of crazy, and the element of surprise.

Regards,
~Q
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BBC has ben trundling out a range of instant "Experts", journalists with school certificate French and an atlas. WSe are being reassured that there will be no "Mission Creep" involving France or the Yookay.

No one seems to have spotted that all of this is a spin-off from the intervention in Libya.

"Es wird boese enden."
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Au contraire, mon ami.

The Economist noted several times that the Tuareg rebellion was aided by fall of the Qaddafi regime, leading his Tuareg mercenaries (and a few local ones fleeing retribution) to flee south with their Libyan-supplied arms. (Well, actually, TE claimed that substantial numbers of Tuareg fought on both sides of the civil war, which I find hard to credit.)

I think several other publications did too, but since The Economist is the only non-Turkish news site I visit directly (as opposed to several others I frequently read because I'm directed thither by Google News), I didn't notice which they were.

Or are you specifically complaining only about the BBC, as opposed to British journalism in general? If so, you seem you be making a compelling argument against Ingsoc.

~Q
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBC long ago ceased to be a serious News source.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: