Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Classroom management questions.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hilena_westb wrote:
If the school wanted you to give a break, then I'm sure the break would be scheduled. It is pretty standard fair that universities in China provide a 90 minute class; not 2 45 minute classes with a break between. Why not simply follow what you were told/given to do per your schedule. I allow my students to come and go during the class time for bathroom breaks and the like. That should be far more than sufficient. Rolling Eyes

All* of the public unis and colleges I've worked in, schedule a break after 45 mins and a bell to start/stop this.
As I select randomly for speaking tasks, I don't want to be told when a students is selected that he/she is in the loo.
That is a recipe for dodgers and an impossible management task.
*The only classes in my most recent school that worked through without a break were those pre lunch in the teaching building nearest the dining hall.
This was done so that arrivals for lunch were staggered.
I inserted a break in those classes myself because I began really different work in the second 45 mins, so it was like a whole new class.
After the break with the essentials of bladder and nicotine relief plus schmoozing the GF in the next class (students not mine) out of the way, the energy levels were much higher in my view.
The extra learning effort available more than made up for the 10 mins lost.
rogerwilco

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hilena_westb wrote:
If the school wanted you to give a break, then I'm sure the break would be scheduled. It is pretty standard fair that universities in China provide a 90 minute class; not 2 45 minute classes with a break between. Why not simply follow what you were told/given to do per your schedule. I allow my students to come and go during the class time for bathroom breaks and the like. That should be far more than sufficient. Rolling Eyes

At both of the universities that I have worked for in China each class was 2 40 minute classes with a 10 minute break between.
My friends at other universities tell me that they have the same type of classes.
DirtGuy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTF? I started this thread and then never got any replies from Dave's!!!! Thanks, everyone, for responding and I'm digesting all this info.

DG
roadwalker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtGuy wrote:
WTF? I started this thread and then never got any replies from Dave's!!!! Thanks, everyone, for responding and I'm digesting all this info.

DG

I think you only get email notifications if you get a pm. You have to check back on topics to see if anyone responded to your thread.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roadwalker wrote:
DirtGuy wrote:

DG

I think you only get email notifications if you get a pm. You have to check back on topics to see if anyone responded to your thread.

Click the "watch this topic for replies" button at the bottom left and you'll get email notifications.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtGuy wrote:

DG

Damn good thread DG.
Best
NS
NoBillyNO

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If the school wanted you to give a break, then I'm sure the break would be scheduled. It is pretty standard fair that universities in China provide a 90 minute class; not 2 45 minute classes with a break between. Why not simply follow what you were told/given to do per your schedule. I allow my students to come and go during the class time for bathroom breaks and the like.

50 min classes with a ten min brake in the middle. Lunch two hours and a 20 min break before the 4:10 class. I'm not sure the school would be able to schedule a flag raising. Someone would always have to run back to the office for the flag pole Key.
lemak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hilena_westb wrote:
It is pretty standard fair that universities in China provide a 90 minute class; not 2 45 minute classes with a break between.

Absolute rubbish! Rolling Eyes

Where do you get this nonsensical crap that you endlessly vomit up onto these forums?

Here?

Would certainly make sense.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hilena has a certain textual tic that I'm sure others have noted.
Strong suggestion that he/she/them disappears and reappears as a new poster.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: