Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eric Winder and Rebecca Tang...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EnglishTutorBeijing55

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:01 am    Post subject: Eric Winder and Rebecca Tang... Reply with quote

Hey fellow ESL teachers/English teachers,

Recently my friend has been thrown in jail due to the police cracking down on foreign teachers here in Beijing, working illegally. Needless to say, he was working for Rebecca Tang and was recruited by Eric Winder in America from a website called <www.BeijingTeach.com>

90% of what that website shows you is bullshit. DO NOT BELIEVE IT. If you know anyone applying or is currently working for her, tell them to ditch the contract and find an alternative AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. REBECCA TANG IS A BAD PERSON WITH BAD INTENTIONS. The website claims "free accomodation" this is a lie, she takes it out of your paycheck and uses it toward your rundown apartment without sheets, utensiles for the kitchen, shitty wifi, NOTHING. She is also taking more than 60% of what you earn and if you do not have a college degree she will want you to buy a fake one and she'll "handle the rest". DO NOT DO IT. The police will catch you as they are becoming more strict here in Beijing. My friend was working one day and the police did a sweep of the complex he was working in and they detained him in a cell for more than seven hours then was questioned then put in prison for two weeks. Rebecca Tang did nothing to aid him.

It's on both ends of the spectrum, DO NOT TRUST ERIC WINDER OR REBECCA TANG. THESE ARE BAD PEOPLE. THEY WANT TO SCAM YOU.

It has cost my friend more than enough time, money and frustration dealing with all of this and she still didn't pay him what's owed him after a month's work and he was also deported.

Consider your future in China.

GET AWAY FROM HER WHILE YOU CAN.
Dan123

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Eric Winder and Rebecca Tang... Reply with quote

Hah, I'm sure I tried using that website over a year ago before my first job. I was adamant about needing a work visa for me to be willing to accept any job, and he (Eric?) kept feeding me bullshit about how hardly nobody in China has a work visa and that if I'm not willing to accept this "small" thing (working without a visa), then I should choose to work in another country because China isn't for me Rolling Eyes

edit: yeah, found the old email

Quote:
Hustling <eric@beijingteach.com>
1/9/14

to me
Danny, we send hundreds of people to China every year and I can easily put you in contact with teachers who were there right now on the F visa. You will have full visa sponsorship and this will really be the last of your worries. I understand your initial hesitancy but you did not know the situation in China. You would not have a problem. The whole point of what we do is for you to work for a whole year. The rule of law is very different in China then it is in the west. This would not be a problem for you but if it scares you then you probably are not prepared for the other things that China would throw at you as this would only be the first thing that you have to accept about being in a different country. How old are you?

Oh, and your friend is pretty dumb for coming here without a Z visa...
Markness

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a recruiter I used when I first came to China, "Buttland", er should I say Buckland. They do the exact same crap. Try to get you in on a business visa. Make you go to hainan to get a Z visa that is only supposed to be for there. Give you a "free" apartment. They gave similar to a university salary but the schools were paying them in the range of 12-14k RMB a month. I also intercepted an e-mail that they accidentally sent to me. Pretty much saying that they like to keep the "laowai" in the dark. The missus translated for me and wrote back to them saying how rude they are. They said that they were "just joking". They have the perfect business model in the sense that they tell the schools that the laowai are unpredictable and unstable and that they are needed in order to keep them going. In reality, we arrive in the city and are making much lower money than the average teacher and teaching farmers children English, which is akin to pulling teeth. This causes teachers to bail after a semester since there is nothing to keep them there.

The owner of the company is in jail now so karma has bit them in the arse. But you cut the hydra's head off and two more spawn. These recruiters I tell ya..
Plume D'ella Plumeria

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebecca Tang is pure evil. I once had an unpleasant encounter with her. Her hair, clothing and eyes resembled those of a witch. The hair was parted in the middle and pulled tight. The dress she wore was long, loose, flowing and patterned in an odd way. Her eyes glittered in an alarming way. She was cold, aloof and dismissive.

Thankfully, I chose not to work with her; her demeanor was just that scary.

She seems to change her first name the way others change their socks - pun not intended. Last I heard, she had incarnated herself into "Olivia." She seems to like poly-syllabic first names. The next one could be Merry-go-round for all I know.

Stay far away from her. She is a crook and has no one's best interest at heart other than her own. And that would be spelled S-C-A-M.
listerialysin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's simple. A work visa is a work visa. A visitor visa is a visitor visa. Anyone stupid enough to not follow the law (easily readable online) and unable to use common sense deserves what they get.
Simon in Suzhou

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, it's very simple.

-Don't go to work ANYWHERE in China without a Z-visa in hand. PERIOD.

If you don't have the minimum qualifications to get a Z-visa, then everything that happens to you is on your own head. Working illegally is asking to be taken advantage of. There is no honor among thieves. Duh.
buravirgil

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't access <www.BeijingTeach.com> without turning on the vpn. Maybe this company has already gained some attention from Chinese authorities.

Based in the United States as East-West LLC. Listed by the BBC (Better Business Bureau), but not accredited, and accorded an A-rating because no complaints have been filed.

I think warning people on the ESL Cafe is cool, but depending on what you friend wants, they have some choices. Recuperating a loss is possible given the breaches of contract are so blatant, but it requires an effort of finding a lawyer willing to work on contingency that sees it as worth their time. Which is a matter of their discerning the likelihood East-West would quickly settle to have this particular case "go away", and your friend would likely have to agree to non-disclosure as they've been compensated for their loss.

I'll add much of the OP is bloated by a well-meaning rhetoric that isn't the fact-based summary potentially interesting to a lawyer. A time-line of simple facts will best serve your friend.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: