Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jobs for non-native speakers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
monkel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Jobs for non-native speakers Reply with quote

Hi there,

I am in the process of looking for teaching posts for both me and my husband in the Gulf region. I seem to tick most of the boxes (for a female ESL teacher at least) but I'm wondering if anyone could steer me in the right direction for a job for hubby.

My husband has just graduated as a chemistry and maths teacher here in Australia. Prior to training as a teacher he worked as a chemist in Europe, holds a PhD in chemistry and has published and presented quite a bit. The problem seems to be that English is not his native language (he's French) and although his language skills are at native-speaker proficiency, the overwhelming majority of the jobs I've seen for science/maths teacing jobs require him to be a native-speaker of English.

Any advice or tips on how/where to apply would be appreciated.

Monkel
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of us here don't know much about jobs outside of EFL. I would suggest he just polish up that CV and send out applications and see what kind of response he gets.

With a PhD plus an education degree (has he earned an OZ teaching cert/license for local schools?), he should look at universities and the better international schools.

Most education employers list their open positions on their website.

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He should also check out higheredjobs.com and chronicle.com.
douglas1969

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Jobs for non-native speakers Reply with quote

monkel wrote:

Given that he has high credentials in sciences and chemistry, he should also be be able to look for employment with multinational companies operating in the region, no?
Gulezar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Jobs for non-native speakers Reply with quote

monkel wrote:

Monkel

Did you get my PM?
genericusername

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your husband should be able to find a job in oil & gas that pays several times what you will be making. He doesn't have to be a great speaker of English as long as he can read, write and converse in it. I have several friends in the industry and they are always hiring. Have him look on a website called oilcareers.com they have tons of jobs on that site. There are more sites like it too.

There are also things like the aluminum and desalination plants that need chemists. Dow has a joint venture in Saudi Arabia to build a petro-chemical mega-complex that will hire hundreds of people with your husband's qualifications. As long as he has a French passport he should be sought after.

Unless he is burned out from his past career, I would not even consider teaching when the opportunities are out there for him. At the very least, he should limit his search to university professorships.
monkel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies everyone - we will start exploring our options Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: