Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm 19... Where do I even begin?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MsBlackcurrant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paopaoduoduo

It might be possible for you to do a degree in TEFL at a foreign university. This would be cheaper, and you'd get your longed-for overseas teaching experience straight away. (If you google you'll come across a number of programmes in the Far East. Some may be advertised on Dave's.)

The disadvantage, as others will be quick to point out, is that these degrees might not be accepted in certain other parts of the world. You'd have to do your research to discover exactly where these degrees would take you, and where you might want to live in the future. If you were able to get at least one or two good jobs off the back of a such a degree you might be able to save up to do a respectable MA degree back in the USA, which could possibly mitigate the lack of a 'Western' qualification at BA level. Again, you'd have to do your research.
baa_baa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI!

Keep in mind NONE OF US liked school. UGH yet ironically we are stuck in it. SO why because thats your only ticket for an income.

There are SO many people with PHD and the offers they get is not fair or not enough so can you imagine what you would get with no BA??? So delete the thought of "I want to just GO"

You might want to consider completing your courses at uni. in CHina however institutes higher people from the states for their qualification SO DONT DO THAT. You need a BA from the States.

Life is so tough the qualifiicaations we have sometimes is not enough so DONT DREAM about just going. Heres a mini story.. my brother is an engineer and he just go promoted. Hes a project manager the only raise they offered him was 2000 aed dirhams. It really sucks and he has a BA with 5 yrs of experience. SO stay in school get that BA because its still not going to be enough.

I was working at a high school in Dubai, I applied to a job in KSA at a university they offer 2000 sr less Shocked and did not bother to consider my yrs of experience because the emplyment letter I got from previous places were wrong...

Anyways a BA saves your butt but still its not enough... People try to scam chop off your salary for the silliest reasons and your considering just to go..seariously dont ull regret it. Its so hard to turn back and complete your educations so while you are at it. GET IT DONE!

good luck take care be wise. BITE YOUR TONGUE and ge it done! then go where ever you want to go to..
Dedicated

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baa_baa wrote :

Quote:
In China...institutes higher people from the States for their qualification

and
Quote:
...seariously dont ull regret it

I sincerely hope you are not an English teacher, especially of writing !
Glenski

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baa_baa wrote:
HI!

Keep in mind NONE OF US liked school.
Speak for yourself.
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dedicated wrote:

I sincerely hope you are not an English teacher, especially of writing !

Ah, but do you seariously hope . . .? Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like one of those threads where the guy makes an inquiry and never comes back to check.
Glenski

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Last post was Jan. 30, and not so much as a thank you. "Any feedback is appreciated", my eye!
tttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem is that we didn't tell him what he wanted to hear:

"You are good to go, you can be an English teacher, You can get rich, have your G/F in China and be treated like a king, ... "

so he picked up his keyboard and had to go elsewhere to get his good news.

Another tire kicker bites the dust.

Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a more optimistic note, perhaps he has wisely decided to return to his own education, and has forgotten to check for replies posted here. Hardly a hanging offence.

On a more pessimistic note, perhaps he was sacred away by the badgering, intrusive, inquisitorial tone that some of us can employ on occasion, even though we are only attempting to help.

In any case, any advice I post, for what that help may be worth, is freely given, and does not require a constant refrain of gratitude - though a word of thanks is always appreciated nonetheless. But perhaps I am wrong, and have been too charitable for all this time. Is there some unwritten rule of etiquette on Dave's which does make this a requirement?

Anyway, let's wish the OP well and hope he has taken our good counsel to heart.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gratitude isn't necessary. But at the very least an acknowledgement that you've bothered to read what people took time to write is common courtesy on a forum such as this.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But at the very least an acknowledgement that you've bothered to read what people took time to write is common courtesy on a forum such as this

Maybe we need a sticky?

"Be sure to acknowledge what people have written or face the consequences of having breached the rules of common courtesy!!"

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, apply for one. Put it right up there with the 20 other stickies noone ever reads.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I'm with Sasha. No-one forces me to spend time giving advice here, and no-one owes me for the time I spend responding to newbies.

Sure, it's nice to be acknowledged (or occasionally even thanked) but I don't personally feel we are in any position to expect it.

If you feel that you need or deserve acknowledgement or gratitude, you're bound to be disappointed on a forum like this, at least from time to time.

P.S. The same applies to requests to new posters for more (and sometimes very personal) information on their situations. So far as I'm concerned, people have a right to limit how much they tell us about themselves on a public forum. While it's totally ok to say 'we can tell you more if you'll tell us this or that,' we sometimes see strictly-worded demands and follow-up demands for more personal information. I think that's outside of the boundaries of common courtesy, frankly.
Glenski

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw, c'mon, spiral. Get off that. The OP didn't even stay long enough to be confronted with anything approaching that. He has registered a total of 2 posts on the Cafe, which means he didn't even take my advice of going to the China forum where he'd get more country-specific help.

If this was a live situation, where we all volunteered our time to answer questions and someone came in and did that sort of thing, zipped in and out without so much as a word of acknowledgement of any kind, they would be considered pretty impolite. I'm not here for the thanks, but look how many people posted a boatload of helpful information for this guy. Please don't try taking the thread off on a tangent.

Bottom line here: common courtesy is not that common. Thread is finished..
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Please don't try taking the thread off on a tangent.

Glenski, the tangent was started six posts ago. Not by me.

Further, we don't know how long the OP hung around. Making only 2 posts doesn't show us how many times he showed up to read the posts of others. He may well have read every word written on his behalf umpteen times - and just not have known how to respond.

My point is simply that we can't expect acknowledgement or thanks when we take the time. Nice when it happens, but if it's an expectation, we're bound to be disappointed from time to time. Nature of public forums.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: