Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm 19... Where do I even begin?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Quote:
Please don't try taking the thread off on a tangent.

Glenski, the tangent was started six posts ago. Not by me.

Further, we don't know how long the OP hung around. Making only 2 posts doesn't show us how many times he showed up to read the posts of others. He may well have read every word written on his behalf umpteen times - and just not have known how to respond.

I suspect the desire to teach English evaporated somewhere between his first post and lunchtime.

spiral78 wrote:
My point is simply that we can't expect acknowledgement or thanks when we take the time. Nice when it happens, but if it's an expectation, we're bound to be disappointed from time to time. Nature of public forums.

The true nature of successful public forums, like this one and others, is that people do come back and acknowledge contributions made by other members. Those who go on public forums and never acknowledge the efforts of the community to help them often find their reply box empty after the first or second thread. Ditto for those who come back one hour after starting a thread demanding to know why no-one has yet answered their question.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Those who go on public forums and never acknowledge the efforts of the community to help them often find their reply box empty after the first or second thread.

No argument there. It's clearly our prerogative to ignore posters we perceive as rude. My point's something entirely different - surely no need to repeat yet again Crying or Very sad
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is true that courtesy is no longer common - especially online. Take for example the phrase "get off that". Would posters here call that courteous? Maybe common? I'm not comfortable with wording like that.

In any case, we do not need to waste our time wondering why this OP didn't reply. That's his business. It is conceivable that he is still trying to work things out in his own mind, privately, and will report back to all and sundry. Probably not. I'm not too concerned either way, and really wonder why anybody would be.
Glenski

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Quote:
Please don't try taking the thread off on a tangent.

Glenski, the tangent was started six posts ago. Not by me.
I was referring to your P.S.

Quote:
Further, we don't know how long the OP hung around. Making only 2 posts doesn't show us how many times he showed up to read the posts of others. He may well have read every word written on his behalf umpteen times - and just not have known how to respond.
I'm sorry, but I don't buy that.

Sashadroogie wrote:
It is true that courtesy is no longer common - especially online. Take for example the phrase "get off that". Would posters here call that courteous? Maybe common? I'm not comfortable with wording like that.
And I didn't appreciate the direction the P.S. was taking.

Perhaps the thread will be closed. Wouldn't bother me.
santi84

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 19, I think I had the attention span of my 3 year old Laughing Perhaps our OP just had a fleeting thought, posted online, and then went onto other things. Maybe he forgot. Maybe he didn't care the next day Cool
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether we appreciate a thread, or indeed a P.S., is scarcely relevant to the value of common courtesy. I do not see anything wrong with the comments in that postscript, but even if I did, would that give me a licence to be brusque or aggressive? I do not hold with that.

I hope that this thread is not removed, as I think it contains some valuable information for the original poster and other newbies who may read it in the future. It also points to wisdom that we older hands could perhaps benefit from - more courtesy and less curtness.
paopaoduoduo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
On a more optimistic note, perhaps he has wisely decided to return to his own education, and has forgotten to check for replies posted here. Hardly a hanging offence.

On a more pessimistic note, perhaps he was sacred away by the badgering, intrusive, inquisitorial tone that some of us can employ on occasion, even though we are only attempting to help.

In any case, any advice I post, for what that help may be worth, is freely given, and does not require a constant refrain of gratitude - though a word of thanks is always appreciated nonetheless. But perhaps I am wrong, and have been too charitable for all this time. Is there some unwritten rule of etiquette on Dave's which does make this a requirement?

Anyway, let's wish the OP well and hope he has taken our good counsel to heart.

Hey guys, I'm still here. And yes I've read every post. For a few days I was upset but I've been focusing hard on school for the past little while. Thanks for all the help guys though I don't appreciate the comments about it not working with my girlfriend. You can think what you want and draw from your own anecdotes but please leave her out of this when you know nothing of our relationship other than our age.

I actually haven't read back in a few weeks because I was focusing on school. You guys are too pessimistic Razz

I've also considered studying abroad, though I'm not really sure where to begin on that.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back!
And thanks for helping renew the faith of some 'oldbies' here that not posting doesn't equal not reading, in many cases.
paopaoduoduo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Welcome back!
And thanks for helping renew the faith of some 'oldbies' here that not posting doesn't equal not reading, in many cases.

I read every post. Actually I would have came back a few days earlier but I was having internet issues.

As long as I can maintain a 70% GPA I should be okay for my education. Traditionally, I was never a good student but I'm trying. I'll at least get that I think.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may also be people around who can speak to the idea of international education.

I can start that off by saying that university fees for students from outside whatever country are usually relatively quite a lot higher than for students from the country (legitimately - citizens pay taxes to educate their own, but not foreigners).

Also, depends on what you ultimately want to do with a degree- for EFL/ESL, a degree from a university in a non-Anglophone country is usually less desirable.

However, some UK and Australian universities offer post-grad degrees that are reasonably priced - some people here (and on the country-specific forums below) may have info on undergrad degrees as well.
paopaoduoduo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also want to respond to this little tidbit.

Quote:
2. If you read the transfer credit with Ottawa U, it says you'll have to take 5 more sessions. That means that the two years at Algonquin do not count as equal to two years at a university... because they aren't. Sorry.

The two years at Algonquin are in fact worth more than you assume. It's one of the only courses that offers the switch over program into university and the course is extremely intensive in both Ottawa U and Algonquin. Please don't make it look like I'm studying at some C level course when the opportunities it offers are more than most college courses. It's the exact reason I chose it in the first place.

EDIT: The switch over program is also offered at universities in Australia and the US.

Last edited by paopaoduoduo on Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
paopaoduoduo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
There may also be people around who can speak to the idea of international education.

I can start that off by saying that university fees for students from outside whatever country are usually relatively quite a lot higher than for students from the country (legitimately - citizens pay taxes to educate their own, but not foreigners).

Also, depends on what you ultimately want to do with a degree- for EFL/ESL, a degree from a university in a non-Anglophone country is usually less desirable.

However, some UK and Australian universities offer post-grad degrees that are reasonably priced - some people here (and on the country-specific forums below) may have info on undergrad degrees as well.

To be honest I don't know anything about switching schools or studying abroad. I was never into school though I regret it now. I was one of the kids who skipped class all the time . It's a miracle I'm in college now. Razz

But I'm taking this seriously. The reason I don't appreciate the comments about my relationship is because she is the drive for me to go forward. Without her I certainly wouldn't have any ambition at all. Now I want to at least do something with my life. What's wrong with that?
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The reason I don't appreciate the comments about my relationship is because she is the drive for me to go forward. Without her I certainly wouldn't have any ambition at all. Now I want to at least do something with my life. What's wrong with that?

Nothing whatsoever, so far as I'm concerned. I don't think it was I who made comments regarding your relationship - my belief is that we are not really qualified here to judge people's personal lives.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Paopaoduoduo! Welcome back!

I'll echo Spiral's sentiments about restoring faith that our small efforts actually do some good to some readers some of the time.

I'd also second the idea that personal judgments are not something any of us should enter into - certainly not me. Apologies if it was my remarks which you didn't like. I was not directing them towards you, as such, but more to myself and readers generally, as a typical example of what could go amiss. I wish I could put all that foolishness down to tender age, but alas, the intervening years have seen an almost equal share of rash decisions and idealism dashed.

So, good luck with whatever your plans are, even though I sincerely hope that those plans include looking after your education.

Best wishes.
revenger2013

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Studying in China is very good value. Lots of courses in English and of course, the best place to get your Mandarin up to speed.

http://www.cucas.edu.cn/HomePage/content/content_412.shtml
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: