Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TEFL-certified, college grad, little experience

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leweiss

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: TEFL-certified, college grad, little experience Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I have been lurking on this forum for a while now, and after a trip to Chile, I have decided to make the move in July 2013 after I graduate from college.
I have an online TEFL certificate (that included a practicum portion), have done *some* private ESL tutoring with children, but have little other experience.
I am proficient in Spanish and want to move to gain teaching experience but also to live in Latin America and get fluent in Spanish.
I'm saving up this semester to have enough money for start-up costs, visa, airfare, etc. I was predicting to save about $1500, plus $700 for airfare (flying from San Francisco, CA). Does this sound adequate?
Will arriving during the secondary hiring season (July) make finding a job much more difficult? And will my lack of experience be a problem?
I'm aware that I won't be able to save money, but am hoping to break even, hopefully supplementing teaching income with working in a hostel or restaurant, and doing private lessons.
Basically, any personalized advice would be welcome. I hope this isn't a redundant post and that someone will be able to reassure me!
Thanks so much!
ForProgress

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Leweiss,

I came to Chile a couple of weeks ago and might be able to answer some of your questions.

Having a 4-yr degree and a TEFL makes you qualified. ESPECIALLY for an English institute, and definitely for Tutoring (where more money is but more risk also b/c of cancellations).

Saving $1500 isn't bad. You will want to have everything planned out, and start working ASAP though. With $1500 you can land, find a place to stay temporarily, quickly get a job, and then start looking for an apartment or something.

VISA? Unless you've made plans to get a Work visa (wish is about 500 bucks to my understanding) you'll have to stick with a tourist visa. When you land in Chile you'll have to go to a desk and pay your entrance fee of $160. Do NOT bring wrinkled or damaged money. I've seen many people have lots of ripped dollars not accepted. They're really... well, picky, about this. At least the woman I had to pay was.

Don't' tell them you have a Lack of experience. You're a NATIVE English speaker, College graduate, and you have experience tutoring people already. You sound qualified to me. And if you word it right, I believe you'll sound the same to your employer.

I wouldn't say that you can't save money. You probably won't be able to save money in the US's terms of saving money. For example, in the US someone may may $3,000 a month, and save $1,000 a month by living frugally.

BUT, if you budget carefully, you can certainly save up a small portion to purchase your return flight and do some traveling. You just have to be very aware of how your spending your money. And buy all your ELECTRONICS IN THE US. B/c here, they're $$$

Any more questions? Just PM me or I'll try and check back to this blog.
gheene10

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
I saw this post and was just curious how both your experiences have been so far? I am moving to Chile in a week and although I know it's not the best time to find a teaching job, that's what I plan on doing. I am TEFL certified and have a 4 yr degree as well as 2.5 yrs experience in the investment world so I feel qualified but I'm a bit worried about my timing so any advice you could give me would be great!
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi -

I to am curious how its going for both of you.

How is the job market in chile in september?
still possible to get work?
22Yossarian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to piggy back on this. I have done a bit of searching, but have not found many answers.

After I finish my current contract I may look for a change in scenery.

What is the pay scale in Chile?

I will have a year of experience teaching at a prep school in China, plus an M.A. in history and a CELTA.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: