Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How late is too late?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JerkyBoy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: How late is too late? Reply with quote

When it comes to hunting teaching jobs in Japan, how late is too late?

The peak hiring time is mid-Feb to beginning of April, or so I gather. The work visa application process takes 2-8 weeks, or so I'm told.

Is the last week of Feb too late in the day to land up in Japan? Beginning of March?

Perhaps I could glean some reliable information via your hard-earned wisdom.

Thanks in advance.

Very Happy
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's certainly pushing it. And for every opening you might apply for, there are probably at least a dozen applicants already in the country, with experience there, available for more or less immediate interview, and most importantly, with a valid work visa sorted and raring to go. It may however be possible to get permission to work in the interim once a visa application is actually in the works.
Glenski

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Permission from whom? It's illegal to work until the visa has been issued.

That won't stop some employers, legit or unscrupulous, from asking you to work beforehand, of course.

JerkyBoy,
I really think you are going to need to put off coming here for a little while. With all the questions you are asking, you are clearly not prepared in so many ways.
JerkyBoy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:

JerkyBoy,
I really think you are going to need to put off coming here for a little while. With all the questions you are asking, you are clearly not prepared in so many ways.

I think I'm prepared as I'll ever be.
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:

Immigration, "obviously". I'm just going by what I seem to recall reading on these forums, but I'd agree that the clearest sign of permission to work is surely the work visa being placed resplendent and gleaming in your passport LOL.
JerkyBoy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone told me yesterday that in some cases you can work a job once the processing process is underway and it's just that you can't be paid anything until the WP is finalised.

What's your take on this?
Glenski

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerkyBoy wrote:
Someone told me yesterday that in some cases you can work a job once the processing process is underway and it's just that you can't be paid anything until the WP is finalised.

What's your take on this?
If you have an unscrupulous employer, they will revel in having free teachers on staff, because they will continue telling you that there are problems with the visa processing until they are finished using you.

Be safe.
Be smart.
JerkyBoy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG
tmax500

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fluffyhamster wrote:
Glenski wrote:

Immigration, "obviously". I'm just going by what I seem to recall reading on these forums, but I'd agree that the clearest sign of permission to work is surely the work visa being placed resplendent and gleaming in your passport LOL.

I'm outside Japan have a teaching visa on my passport for a job I decided not to take (my reasons are in another post). I rang an embassy to find out if I can use it elsewhere. I think the visa is only valid for that school, and only activated once you arrive in the country (perhaps with some kind of in paperwork at an immigration office). It could not be valid for any other school unless you are already in Japan, right?
Glenski

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The visa is valid until it expires. The employer who sponsored it will not be happy you aren't going to work for them, but that's another story. The visa itself is not tied to any particular employer. Change if you like, and if you feel the need, change the sponsorship, too. If I were another employer, though, I'd be hesitant whether you'd ditch on me, too. (I don't recall your other circumstances.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: