Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Resume question (long absence after graduation)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
santi84

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Resume question (long absence after graduation) Reply with quote

I have a question for those of you who are hiring managers or knowledgable about cover letters and resumes.

I graduated with my TESL-related degree and TESL certificate in 2009. I have not worked in the field since then (I took time off to have children and was a stay at home mother, I also used the time to go to school and learn the local language). Now it's time for me to go back to work - do I explain this absence in the cover letter or do I just not mention it until any potential interviews?

I don't want managers to think that I am leaving off some dodgy employment but I also don't want to face discrimination if they think I will just quit again to be a stay at home mother again (I'm done with kids!).

Thoughts?
tttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an employer, it wouldn't be an issue for me.

In this industry specifically there are lots of people who take a year off to just go sit on a beach.

If I asked, your answer as described in your query would be sufficient but I am not hiring in La Belle Province either.

Glenski

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second everything tttompatz wrote.
santi84

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I appreciate it Very Happy
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, gaps in employment history can raise questions. Not all parts of the world have TEFLers who sit on a beach for a year.

The worst case is that a potential employer would think that an applicant spent time 'inside', if there were any unexplained gaps in the CV. This is particularly a concern if the TEFL job involves young learners. It is entirely reasonable of an employer to wonder and enquire about how the last five years of an applicant's life were spent.

I do not know what way is the best way of addressing this, however. Putting the relevant facts in the covering letter seems fine to me. In any case, I wouldn't just gloss over the gap. It will certainly come up at interview - if there is an interview.

I hope that helps.

Sasha
tttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard police check covers that issue and should be part of a teachers application package.

If the check is there then the issue is not.

spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
graduated with my TESL-related degree and TESL certificate in 2009. I have not worked in the field since then (I took time off to have children and was a stay at home mother, I also used the time to go to school and learn the local language). Now it's time for me to go back to work - do I explain this absence in the cover letter or do I just not mention it until any potential interviews

Quote:
The worst case is that a potential employer would think that an applicant spent time 'inside', if there were any unexplained gaps in the CV. This is particularly a concern if the TEFL job involves young learners. It is entirely reasonable of an employer to wonder and enquire about how the last five years of an applicant's life were spent.

Quote:
Standard police check covers that issue and should be part of a teachers application package.

Police check is going to make it clear that someone like santi took time off to have children as versus holding up banks?? Shocked
tttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Quote:
graduated with my TESL-related degree and TESL certificate in 2009. I have not worked in the field since then (I took time off to have children and was a stay at home mother, I also used the time to go to school and learn the local language). Now it's time for me to go back to work - do I explain this absence in the cover letter or do I just not mention it until any potential interviews

Quote:

Quote:

Police check is going to make it clear that someone like santi took time off to have children as versus holding up banks?? Shocked

She might have been holding up banks but at least she didn't get caught and convicted.

Convictions and prison sentences will all appear on a CPIC check.
Even more information appears on a VSS search (required to work with kids in Canada).
FBI checks show even more (arrests even without charges or convictions appear).

Ya... a police check may not tell what she was or wasn't doing but it will tell you that she wasn't sitting in a cell.

santi84

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting discussion! I didn't think that prison would be on the radar, but I'm in the ESL (not EFL) context here. I graduated in 2009 but I continued my other career (in the RCMP Laughing) until 2010 but between 2011-2012, I spent time learning French at a local government-run program, so I can show evidence that I was not locked up.

I just didn't want people to think I was hiding unfavourable employment! Smile
kah5217

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any volunteer work? That's what I used to fill in my resume. I listed a lab class as an "unpaid research position" and my company was fine with it.
santi84

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, nothing since 2010.
kah5217

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Worst case scenario, just list those years as "homemaker".
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kah5217 wrote:
Hmm. Worst case scenario, just list those years as "homemaker".

"Student" would be more relevant since she was a language student during her 'hiatus.'
santi84

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, student is appropriate as well. Quebec (ESL) is a bit different than the EFL world (and the rest of the ESL world). You cannot work here if you are not bilingual French/English, the idea of an English-only teacher just doesn't fly, so I needed to study French anyways before getting a job. Looks like my problem is solved (hopefully) Smile
coledavis

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, you should send your cv with the qualification but no explanation; the explanation goes in the covering letter which should accompany your cv. (As you will have noticed on my cv, ...)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: