Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Proofreading rates
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richfilth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the region of 40 hours, considering this is only a proofread and not a copy-edit. But it would take me a month to find enough useable chunks of time to get through a project that size.

My prices are set so that my hourly rate comfortably aligns with my page rate, calculated off the error rate of the text. For a light read like this doc, I'd do about 20 pages in an hour, but I have to read it twice. That brings it down to 10/hour, giving a page rate of 10zl and an hourly of 100zl, which is in line with my teaching rate.

That's the one advantage of Phd-level texts; the language is usually a very high quality to begin with, although it does make the inevitable mistakes that much harder to find.
ecocks

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richfilth wrote:
In the region of 40 hours, considering this is only a proofread and not a copy-edit. But it would take me a month to find enough useable chunks of time to get through a project that size.

My prices are set so that my hourly rate comfortably aligns with my page rate, calculated off the error rate of the text. For a light read like this doc, I'd do about 20 pages in an hour, but I have to read it twice. That brings it down to 10/hour, giving a page rate of 10zl and an hourly of 100zl, which is in line with my teaching rate.

That's the one advantage of Phd-level texts; the language is usually a very high quality to begin with, although it does make the inevitable mistakes that much harder to find.

Exact opposite of the ones further East. I'll be interested to see one from here that you can hit 10 pages in an hour.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich/others - did you take any particular courses in proofreading before starting?

I've never had any interest whatsoever in doing it, but I always wondered how people started doing it.
Richfilth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked into courses, but the curricula for most of them covered the sort of stuff I was already teaching my students; checking for faulty parallelism, finding run-on sentences and so on. And a large portion of my week is working with professional writers, correcting their copy and finding the smallest errors, so it was no real chore to move into proofing and editing as a sideline.

It's not something I'd want full time, and I'm not sure there's a luxurious desk job with a full-time contract and health benefits that would justify the need for a certificate in proof-reading, so I doubt I'll get certified in the near future.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delphian-domine wrote:
Rich/others - did you take any particular courses in proofreading before starting?

I've never had any interest whatsoever in doing it, but I always wondered how people started doing it.
I've done the odd proofreading project here are there, including some work recently proofreading the subtitles from the infamous 'Warsaw Shore.' All the work I've gotten has a been through friends of mine.

I have a BA in English, creative writing so my writing skills are more than sufficient for a project like Warsaw Shore, but I don't know how confident I'd feel about proofreading a PhD thesis.
ecocks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Rich, it just sort of comes with my students. The ones in university classes ask for help and I give it from time to time but if it involves more than a 5 minute reading of a letter or it doesn't fit to do a one-time lesson on writing, then I tell them it's going to be a charged activity.

Grammar, spelling, punctuation and sentence construction are the basics. If the scanning indicates they are off-topic on their paragraphs then I warn them it will be higher if they expect content assistance. The rate goes up a bit.

I've seen a couple that were hopeless from my perspective. They had no understanding of context or even the structure of presenting support for their hypothesis. I refuse that business.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: