Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How viable a candidate am I for a teaching position?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guerciotti

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not do the ITTT? I did it a few years ago without the tutor option. The school in Tianjin required a certificate so I complied.
I 'studied' for three weeks and took the test. I spent 5 hours on the test (too long I know) and did well. My point is, it's not so difficult, the price is right, and some provinces do require it. With your qualifications and study I'm sure the coursework and exam will be a breeze.
IM me if you have any questions.
BTW, I don't think anyone knows to a certainty which provinces require a cert and which don't but I have reason to believe Tianjin does. Like many things here, rules vary from province to province.
Cool
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it'snotmyfault wrote:
I'd recommend saving your money and not doing the on-line TEFL course. You can easily find a job without it and just reading a few good books/searching youtube/reading forums like this etc, will prepare you well enough.
If you look on most reputable employers job adverts (I'm thinking outside of China especially) they all say they won't accept on-line certificates.

+1

Online certificates are pretty much useless. If an employer insists that you must show an certificate of some type you should either a) choose the very cheapest possible and check people like wowcher who do offers on throwaway certificate programs or b) use photoshop or ebay or something to procure a piece of paper with your name and TEFL written on it.

The money spent lining the pockets of a spurious course provider would be better spent purchasing books like 'Learning Teaching' by Scrivener or the 'How to' series by Scott Thornbury.
Guerciotti

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denim-Maniac wrote:

Online certificates are pretty much useless. If an employer insists that you must show an certificate of some type you should either a) choose the very cheapest possible and check people like wowcher who do offers on throwaway certificate programs or b) use photoshop or ebay or something to procure a piece of paper with your name and TEFL written on it.

The money spent lining the pockets of a spurious course provider would be better spent purchasing books like 'Learning Teaching' by Scrivener or the 'How to' series by Scott Thornbury.

If the school wants, no, needs you there in less than 4 weeks thus you don't have time for the CELTA regardless of cost then an online cert like ITTT is appropriate. IIRC I paid an extra c-note for express delivery of the piece of paper.
I know you're not advocating fraud in lieu of completeing a simple 100 hour course that may be finished competently and successfully in even less than 100 hours.
No one said it compares to a CELTA, but if you lack the funds or the time and the employer requires it then it is a better option than saying 'I bought some books', though those are quite useful books.
Cool
litterascriptor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcloo7 wrote:
litterascriptor wrote:
Policy for STD test has not varied in any of the provinces I've worked in. I've worked in five different ones so far and you must do an STD test.

What is the policy? What happens if you have one?

You won't be given a visa.

Did you do the dirty with a tranny in Bangkok and forgot to cover your willy before you got silly?

It's happened to the best of us, well not me, but I hear it has happened to others.
muffintop

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...but once you are here, you are welcome to get all the STD's you like. I have only had to take the physical my first year here. Perhaps they require another one if you change provinces, I do not know.
maj0915

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding where to teach, what does everyone think of these options?

Chongqing
Xi'an
Hangzhou
Guangzhou
Suzhou
Tianjin
Xiamen
Babala

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzhou strictly enforces the 2 years of work experience rule. You won't be able to pad it due to your age.
maj0915

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Babala wrote:
Suzhou strictly enforces the 2 years of work experience rule. You won't be able to pad it due to your age.

Thanks! Any opinions on the others? Also, when do most schools do their hiring for Fall?
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be getting ready now.
April/May is the height of the season, but why not make a few approaches to schools now?
You'll get in ahead of the crowd.
Chinese don't think of email as we do.
So, if you don't get a reply in 24 hours as you are likely to in service-minded countries, don't despair.
Remember, also, that the FAO wallahs want to be on leave July/August too.
Their boss wants to know that come 1 Sept the school will open with a full complement of FTs and may keep them (FAO) working if things aren't in place.
Don't fall in love with one college. Have a few applications going at the same time.
mcloo7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've had Lyme disease in the past, is that something that would show up in a blood test and the Chinese would consider infectious? I've heard that once you have Lyme disease you will always test positive for it even after you're over it. But I also think that this requires a special test and dont know if it would show up on whatever tests they do.
johntpartee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lyme disease is endemic in China, you wouldn't be spreading it. You might catch it again here, though. No worries.
mcloo7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johntpartee wrote:
Lyme disease is endemic in China, you wouldn't be spreading it. You might catch it again here, though. No worries.

Really? I thought it was native to America. I hope I dont get that again.
johntpartee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern Hemisphere.
mnguy29

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At my University you would have to be exceptional to get hired this young. In the past, they had alot of difficulties with young guys not showing up for class, being late, ending the class early, complaining all the time and doing a lousy job teaching. However, one guy was 22 and just graduated from an Ivy League Uni which made him an exception. He had never taught a day in his life and was hired.
mnguy29

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach in Xiamen. Great city but it is NOT cheap here. University salaries are NOT high enough in my opinion. 5000-6000 Also, if you are not hired at the best Uni in the city you will NOT be near the downtown and will have more than an hour bus or taxi to get to the actual city.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: