Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tokyo plan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenski

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerkyBoy wrote:
OneJoelFifty wrote:
so perhaps you could try and be less annoying!

It's just my sense of humour, sorry.�
I'm with Joel here. I don't think you realize just how much your "sense of humor" offends people here. Such things rarely translate well in typed text, so try to leave it out of your posts.
JerkyBoy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoopey doo is a line from an Adam Sandler movie. That's just groovy baby is Mike Myers.

I guess there's just no pleasing some people - that's Monty Python.
OneJoelFifty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerkyBoy wrote:

OneJoelFifty wrote:
�I think I wrote a list of pros and cons on here already, I'll try and dig it up.

That would be mighty helpful, thanks.�

OneJoelFifty wrote:
Heart had a sneaky "travel money is included in your salary" contract.

So they do screw you over.

That's not very good is it.�

I tried to search for the list but couldn't find it, sorry.

I don't count that as getting screwed over. It's in the contract in black and white, you choose to accept it or not. If they didn't tell you beforehand, you started the job, they put you in an apartment a bus and a train ride away from your school...and then told you "By the way, your travel is included in your salary", then I would say that's being screwed. I think most people have problems with dispatch companies because they don't do their research and are surprised when these things come up.
Pitarou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerkyBoy wrote:
Whoopey doo is a line from an Adam Sandler movie.
"Whoopey doo," is not just a quote from a movie. It's usage is well established. It is a sarcastic, patronising way of saying, "You / they think I should be impressed, but I'm not." In the context, that is also the most reasonable interpretation of, "That's just groovy baby."

Even if you didn't know that, as a Brit, you should understand that a brief, oddly-enthusiastic display of an unlikely emotion will be interpreted as sarcasm. And on an English teacher's forum, you don't get much leeway for inappropriate choice of words.
JerkyBoy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pitarou wrote:
"Whoopey doo," is not just a quote from a movie. It's usage is well established. It is a sarcastic, patronising way of saying, "You / they think I should be impressed, but I'm not." In the context, that is also the most reasonable interpretation of, "That's just groovy baby."

Even if you didn't know that, as a Brit, you should understand that a brief, oddly-enthusiastic display of an unlikely emotion will be interpreted as sarcasm. And on an English teacher's forum, you don't get much leeway for inappropriate choice of words.

Well we British are known for our sarcasm. It has always stood us in good stead.

Just as you Canadians are known for your corn dogs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n8p5Mihi4w&feature=youtube_gdata_player
JerkyBoy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneJoelFifty wrote:
I think most people have problems with dispatch companies because they don't do their research and are surprised when these things come up.

I hear ya brother.
RollingStone

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

425 posts and counting. and this for a near- (and nearer) minimum-wage paying job. my advice: just do it. book a flight today, get your ticket, get onboard, kiss the tarmac, put on suit and smile, and go land that job. i know a guy that did just that, landed his job 3 days after landing (his wife sponsored his visa... kaching!)
Pitarou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RollingStone wrote:
425 posts and counting. and this for a near- (and nearer) minimum-wage paying job. my advice: just do it. book a flight today, get your ticket, get onboard, kiss the tarmac, put on suit and smile, and go land that job. i know a guy that did just that, landed his job 3 days after landing (his wife sponsored his visa... kaching!)
JerkyBoy doesn't have a wife to sponsor a visa.

Still, if you can afford to fail then it's worth a try. By "afford to fail" I mean: have enough money to come to Japan, look for a job, fail, return home, and support yourself (or maybe receive state support) long enough to resume your old lifestyle.
timothypfox

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense Jerkyboy, but stop being a troll. You are trying to get everyone to hold your hand. Advice is free here - you can take it or leave it, but don't criticize it or stuff back in people's faces. Sarcasm in this context is simply not being nice. It shows you don't appreciate people's efforts here, or you are somehow getting off on people's reactions to your comments.

You have a lot to say, and you might be better off arranging an IM session with someone here or communicate over PMs or something.

Anyways, enough said.

If you can't find something suitable abroad, just go to Japan on a plane with $5000 US equivalent saved during a better time of year for hiring - and see what you can do. You have enough information, and you are experienced enough as a teacher to make something of yourself - especially with all the information you have now.

Fall out options for people who don't secure work they like in Japan is skipping over to a country which must remain nameless on this forum where they pay for rent and you can teach at a university with minimal qualifications.
RollingStone

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pitarou wrote:
RollingStone wrote:
JerkyBoy doesn't have a wife to sponsor a visa.

Still, if you can afford to fail then it's worth a try. By "afford to fail" I mean: have enough money to come to Japan, look for a job, fail, return home, and support yourself (or maybe receive state support) long enough to resume your old lifestyle.

400+ posts all based around - gee folks, y'all think I should go??

"Afford to fail"??

This is a minimum-wage job, with no future unless you really want it, and not a strong career move if your destiny lies elsewhere. Here's my point: years ago, many years ago, I thought a bit of world travelling would suit me. So, at the job I had, I saved up a few thousand or so (over the course of a summer) and headed out. This is before the internet, mind you. Ok? This is before web forums and point and click fact finding. I got a few travel books from the bookstore, bought a backpack and a plane ticket and figured out the rest as it unfolded. And there was not even the hint of a job along the way, unless I made it happen (again, without forums and services like Dave's Cafe.

My point is, people obviously go to Japan because it represents to them world travelling. The ESL job makes it so they don't have to save $30000. So if you can't save up a few thousand or so to last you a few months of travelling - an extended vacation - with the good chance of actually gaining a source of income at the end, then you are hardly serious in your query. What did I do when my money ran out? I headed back home and started working again. It didn't cripple me. It's just two plus two. Even making minimum wage a person with no dependents can save at least $1000 a month. Using technology to waste everyone's time, at 400 posts you could have been at a part-time job during the time you've "invested" in this forum opinion-trading.
Pitarou

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RollingStone wrote:
So if you can't save up a few thousand or so to last you a few months of travelling - an extended vacation - with the good chance of actually gaining a source of income at the end, then you are hardly serious in your query. What did I do when my money ran out? I headed back home and started working again. It didn't cripple me.
Well said. Smile
fat_chris

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RollingStone wrote:
400+ posts all based around - gee folks, y'all think I should go??

Using technology to waste everyone's time, at 400 posts you could have been at a part-time job during the time you've "invested" in this forum opinion-trading.

Also well said.

Warm regards,
fat_chris
timothypfox

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to lock this particular discussion?
Pitarou

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timothypfox wrote:
Time to lock this particular discussion?
Much though JerkyBoy's attitude has irritated me, this thread is threatening to descend from helpful answers and constructive criticism into a flamefest. My apologies for any role I have played in that decline.

Let's keep it constructive and civilised.
Glenski

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerkyBoy wrote:
Pitarou wrote:
What exactly is your view? Do you seriously propose to support yourself in Tokyo on a part-time job paying 2,900 yen / hour? (I see no indication that they'll pay for lesson preparation time.)

Just sayin'. Cool
After 4 pages on this one thread, and this is the best JB can do to answer a straight question which would allow us to help him make a decision...

I think we've done enough, don't you, Pitarou?

FWIW,
I came here at 40 as a change in career, when the Internet was in its infancy and the Cafe was only a couple of years old. I spent 6 months collating data from any scrap I could find. There were darned few sites of info. I lurked on forums like this and learned from listening and asking sensible questions. Result? I got a job that paid my airfare and rent, got the standard entry level package, and I came. Been here for almost a decade and a half. My own credentials and hard work have allowed me to move up the food chain (as people see it). I didn't have 10 years of experience like JB claims, but I moved up. JB seems stuck at the low rung on the ladder, lost in a world of Internet answers that can be found easily enough without posting 400+ times, and still can't find an answer. <shrug>
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: