Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Degree Requirement Query: OU Applied Linguistics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gingerchaz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:39 am    Post subject: Degree Requirement Query: OU Applied Linguistics Reply with quote

Hi All,

I am planning on moving to Jakarta/Tangerang (or possibly/hopefully Sulawesi) in the mid term future. I will be applying for teaching jobs once I arrive there as my wife is Indonesian so we will be able to get me there on a KITAS/family visa and go from there with a job hopefully. I work full time in IT currently, am 37, but looking to get out of the IT rat race and do/teach something I really enjoy, i.e. language.

I don't have a degree currently. I obtained an Advanced TESOL Diploma here in Australia just last year, but want to supplement this qualification with an Open University course in Applied Linguistics before I leave to go to Indonesia, probably over the next year or so. The course level is titled "Graduate Certificate", although I may go on to complete the Graduate Diploma if I have time.

What I'd like everyone's advice on is...

a) if this is a good choice of study to complement the TESOL course I've already completed
and
b) more specifically related to Indonesia - whether anyone in-country/with experience can say whether schools might look kindly on this OU qualification (as its not a bricks and mortar Uni degree) as meeting the Ministry of Education's degree requirement? As I dont think the TESOL course on its own will cut it.

I know how things work in Indonesia, I've been many times before, so can fully appreciate some people's comments in other posts about the "rules" and how they get bent there/depends on who you get behind the desk, etc. But I'd really appreciate any feedback on my questions, other than in that vein please Smile

Many thanks in advance.

GC.
Elicit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The course is a good choice to enhance your CV and is certainly relevant within the teaching field. Schools will also look kindly on this postgraduate certificate. The OU is probably the most highly respected distance learning university of its type. By achieving this qualification schools will understand you are willing to make efforts to improve your professional teaching status.

However, it will not be enough to provide you with a work permit (family visa thing noted) and all good schools expect an undergraduate degree. For these purposes no postgraduate certificates, diplomas, or even degrees will help you.

If you are serious about having a long-term future in ELT, the quickest route is not always the best. Take a look at the OU's undergraduate degrees. They have one in English. If you invest the time and money it will pay off in the future.

Best of luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: