Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visiting Belitung

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dxn283

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Visiting Belitung Reply with quote

Making the most of those all too brief holidays I want to visit the most beautiful, laid back least touristy, but readily accessible, beach experience for the least possible amount of money. Belitung has been proposed. Any suggestions for a Belitung accommodation or alternative paradisical destination that matches my wants? Thanks all!
Durian Tango

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been to Belitung but I've heard great things about it. I think 2-3 days max is all you need, but definitely worth it.

If you head down to Pelabuhan Ratu on the south coast and then head west there are some awesome beaches with wonderful waves to body surf and incredible geology. You can go to the Ocean Queen resort and get one of their experienced guides to take you on a full or half day trek along the coast there. It's nice to have a guide because you have to often cut up into the jungle and throught he rice fields, but you could probably go it alone as well.

Also try Ujung Kulon on the west coast of Java. Wonderful bit of trekking to nice beaches with no people.

I also absolutely love the beaches west of Kuta Lombok. There are large rolling green hills hiding small coves with sparkling blue waters and hot shimmering sand beaches. There are direct flights to the new airport in Lombok which is only 45 minutes from Kuta (nothing like Kuta in Bali).

Closer to home, if you are ready to spend some money, I like Macan Island in the Thousand Islands. The beach side accomodation is fantastic, as well as is the the food.

Hope it helps.
mr fred

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for surf. Many of the hotels are terrible.
One KFC on the island and that's it.
Tanjung kalayang has a simple surf hotel. The rooms aren't fantastic but the food is great and the beach is seriously close.... Like 30 a second stroll.
jef dam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr fred wrote:
Good for surf. Many of the hotels are terrible.
One KFC on the island and that's it.
Tanjung kalayang has a simple surf hotel. The rooms aren't fantastic but the food is great and the beach is seriously close.... Like 30 a second stroll.

Sorry, but no surf whatsoever in Belitung.........

I've been there a few times as it's so easy to get to from Jakarta. Tanjing Kalayang and Tanjung Tingi are beautiful beaches and very peaceful.

Kalayang Cottages is fine, but as the guy above said very simple. However, I found the food to be garbage. Just up the beach from the hotel there are a bunch of warungs where you can get really good fish. One of the warungs, the guy who owns it's name escapes me right now, can organize island hopping and snorkeling trips for a reasonable price. He can rent you a moped if you want also for about 50,000 per day. As I said, I can't think of his name, but his warung has a shelf full of emply booze bottles so it stands out somewhat.

If you have a bit of coin to spend I'd recommend the Lor Inn on Tanjung Tingi. Really nice, across the road from the beach, and good food.

If you get a moped try and get to Batu Beginde in the south of the island, really nice little mountain with some nice beaches near by. If you're staying in TK / TT try get up to Sejuk (sp?). It's a a hindu enclave and there are a few temples worth seeing.

The main town Tanjung Pandan is crap, there's nothing there except for a KFC, as mentioned, and a dodgy dangdut bar just outside of town in a hotel.

Anywaaaaaaaay, hope this helps. Enjoy.
mr fred

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No surf is (bugger it kills me to be wrong:D) correct.
I was thinking of PL ratu where there is lots of surf.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: