Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Test YOUR Grammar
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that 'Islamist' has connotations of extremism, i.e. fundamentalism, whereas 'Islamic' is neutral, as in Islamic architecture.

Could be wrong though... hic!
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
I think that 'Islamist' has connotations of extremism, i.e. fundamentalism, whereas 'Islamic' is neutral, as in Islamic architecture.

Could be wrong though... hic!

Maybe. However The Economist describes the AKP as a "mildly Islamist" or "moderate Islamist" political party, which seems like a contradiction under that definition. (And not just because the AKP isn't particularly "moderate" by the standards of any secular state.) I think it's more that "Islamist" indicates an ideology, a dreaded "-ism.

Personally I use it for any person or organization who advocates any privileged role for Islam in the public sphere.

~Q
Ixchel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, not trying to start a political debate. Has anyone else noticed the same thing happened with the words "entitled" and "titled." Almost overnight. I just looked up the word "entitled" in my ancient Webster's and it says:
[originally from Latin meaning title]
1: to give a title to: designate 2: to furnish with proper grounds for seeking or claiming something
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. But publications like the Economist seem to believe that the Western secularist idea of separation of religion and politics can be applied worldwide. This doesn't seem to be the case in the Islamic (!) world at all. What we call 'political Islam' is viewed as tautological in Muslim countries. So the word 'Islamist' has its fundamentalist associations watered down to just 'political' in Western newspapers etc.

Again, I could be wrong...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: